• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Doing the DVC tour at Disneyland

drag n' fly

Sassy, salty and sweet....
When I did a search for this nothing came up.. I need some DVC tour advice.

We will be staying at the GC in November as dh has a conference down there.
We are going to be buying DVC.
So we decided to rent some points and stay at OKW in April so we could do the SSR tour and then decide if we want to go with Disney or resale at another resort at that time.
I read that someone did the tour at DL for SSR and purchased there. What exactly are you touring if you are not at SSR?
Would it be a good idea to get the DVC tour out of the way in November at DL to open more time for dh and I in April? We could go check out SSR once we get there if we do not buy in November.
Or do you think we should wait until April and deal with it all there?
Also should we call ahead and book a tour at either DL or WDW since our time is limited instead of waiting until we get there. How easy is it to get a last minute tour?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

We bought our 160 points for SSR at DL in April. They have a model of a 1br/studio that they showed us. We did not make an appointment and was able to see someone fairly soon. I am not sure if they still have this incentive, but because we purchased at DL, we had the choice of 2 premium annual passes for DL or 2 regular annual passes for WDW. I also believe that if you stop at one of kiosks to schedule an appointment, you receive a $75 dollar gift card. I did not get that because I did not stop at the kiosk. I did receive the vouchers for the annual passes.:goodvibes

If you do the tour at DL and don't buy then, you won't be offered any incentives that are offered in the Spring when you decide to buy. Don't tour until you are ready to buy.

I am going to DL in October and asked my guide about doing a tour since I have never seen the models. He told me just to talk to one of the folks at the kiosks and they can arrange a tour for you. Don't know anything about current incentives, etc. so suggest you follow Deb & Bill's advice on that one.

Just so you know, a permit to remodel the models was pulled. We may both be out of luck to see models unless they kept the SSR models and are constructing other models. My guide didn't say a word about this -- got that from the Disboards :rotfl:

Have a great time!

I am going to DL in October and asked my guide about doing a tour since I have never seen the models. He told me just to talk to one of the folks at the kiosks and they can arrange a tour for you. Don't know anything about current incentives, etc. so suggest you follow Deb & Bill's advice on that one.

Just so you know, a permit to remodel the models was pulled. We may both be out of luck to see models unless they kept the SSR models and are constructing other models. My guide didn't say a word about this -- got that from the Disboards :rotfl:

Have a great time!

Maybe they are not going to do the remodels at DL because they will have similar ones in the GC that will be similar if they make GC a DVC. Why remodel the models for SSR at DL if they can sell GCV. The rooms may not be the same but they can still say" they are not the same but you can see these models to get an idea of what a DVC villa looks like or you can buy buy into GCV.

Hmmk does that make sense or was I confussing ...lol

[QUOTE="Got Disney";20789023]Maybe they are not going to do the remodels at DL because they will have similar ones in the GC that will be similar if they make GC a DVC. Why remodel the models for SSR at DL if they can sell GCV. The rooms may not be the same but they can still say" they are not the same but you can see these models to get an idea of what a DVC villa looks like or you can buy buy into GCV.

Hmmk does that make sense or was I confussing ...lol[/QUOTE]

I was told by a CM months ago, that the DLR DVC models will change for whatever the next DVC is,after DLR. I think that means the models will be of CRV.

From what I have read -- mostly on these boards -- the models at DL now are SSR models. A permit was issued to remodel the DVC models. They didn't say what the remodel would be: update existing, change to GC or what? Heck, they could be changing to add AKV, but I doubt it . . . :rolleyes1. Anyway, to the OP, hopefully there will be something to see there this fall.

The DLR DVC models are SSR models. When we were there about 3 weeks ago, they had just moved the GC valet parking behind the models AND there was a new construction trailer back there also.

To the OP, as tempting as it may be, if you are willing to wait to purchase, then wait until your wdw trip to take the tour. If you take the DLR tour, then that guide "should" be the one you buy from. We have a great guide there but we live in CA. There is a good chance that once you at wdw and see the "real" thing, you will have even more questions. So now, you "should" call your DLR guide, but why do that when you are right in SSR. Technically, the last guide you talk to will be the one you buy from. So make it easy and wait and tour in wdw...questions answered and maybe even purchased right there.

From what I have read -- mostly on these boards -- the models at DL now are SSR models. A permit was issued to remodel the DVC models. They didn't say what the remodel would be: update existing, change to GC or what? Heck, they could be changing to add AKV, but I doubt it . . . :rolleyes1. Anyway, to the OP, hopefully there will be something to see there this fall.
The model permit may be for a GCV unit, but The GC is closer to the DVC kiosks than the models are. Depending on how fast the construction is at GC, they might use an actual unit in GCV as a model, leaving the stand alone models over by the DVC sales office for CRV, or even the rumored second DLR/Gardenwalk DVC.

If you do the tour at DL and don't buy then, you won't be offered any incentives that are offered in the Spring when you decide to buy. Don't tour until you are ready to buy.

This may be true now, but it wasn't true when we did the tour. We took the tour without an appt, saw the video, talked to the representative. We were given a package with the Dreams book and pamphlets, we were given several FP's just for taking the tour and we left. We didn't call them back for 7-10 days and we were still given the AP incentives and the points incentive special that they were offering at that time. Things may have changed since then, but that is what we received.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter