• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dollar or Thrifty Hawaii

lovetotraveltx

DIS Veteran
I just got a great deal if I use my marriott points in Maui at either Dollar or Thrifty, (and possibly for our Oahu portion).

Has anyone used either of these in Hawaii, if so, did you like it and why or why not?

Thank you!

Just got back from the Aulani yesterday and rented a car through Thrifty. I signed up for their Blue Chip program (it's free) and you go to a separate counter so you skip the long line, plus they don't hassle you with the extra insurance/pre-paid gas questions. For the 6 days, I paid $119 total.

Rented through Thrifty in Hawaii and as PP said, their blue chip program is very helpful. Bypasses the line if you don't have any changes, and we were upgraded to a convertible on the Big Island.

Every Florida trip and Hawaii trip I check prices on every rental car place. For years Dollar was the best deal and I had never used Thrifty until a trip to Aulani in 2010 and Thrifty was the best deal. My last few visits to Orlando Thrifty was the best deal also and always had nice cars in great shape. With that said I believe Dollar and Thrifty are owned by the same company now.

We had huge problems at Dollar last summer. First of all, the signs telling you where to go were wrong (because it used to be on-site, but now it is not). Then it took us forever to get a shuttle. When we got there, we had a 3.5 HOUR wait to get a car.

When we dropped off the car, the first shuttle out was full, and they only had 1 shuttle running (and a lot of people with early flights). We almost missed our fight because it took over an hour to wait for the shuttle to bring us to the terminal.

Also, the address on the paperwork was not the physical address of the place, so when we put it into the GPS, we arrived at the wrong location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter