Dolphin sighting while cruising?

eml

Earning My Ears
While reading one of the ultimate packing lists, it was mentioned to bring binoculars.

Have many of you spotted these beautiful creatures while cruising? Are there any particular areas where they are more likely to be seen?

I haven't seen one in nature since Tampa Bay in 1992, so it would certainly be a treat!

We've seen Dolphin and Flying Fish while on the Magic. I don't think any location has more than any other, but I have seen dolphin in the port before.

Last Sept I was sailing on CArnival Legend out of New York on a 2-day cruise to Nowhere. On the second day, there were tons of dolphins swimming alongside the ship. They looked like they were playing. There had to be 30 or 40 dolphin swimming and jumping along the ship. It was quite a breathtaking site to behold. I have been on 9 or 10 cruises and this was the only time we have seen dolphins, but it was an amazing experience I will never forget.

I saw a lot of dolphins and flying fish when on the Norway doing the same route as the Magic eastern cruises. I'd take the binoculars, there are a lot of other interesting things to see.

While on our four night cruise last month, the only place we saw dolphins was at the port upon our return. There were quite a few of them swimming between our ship and the Carnival Fantasy.

On our first cruise back in Aug. 1998 our DS started to feel the motion of the ship a little while we were in Parrot Cay so we sent him up on deck. Not only did he feel better immediately when he was out in the air but he watched dolphins running along side the ship for quite a while.

Needless to say we were pretty bummed that we missed them.

Deb

While on carnival destiny in 1998, husband and myself were on our verandra and looked straight down and there were 2 dolphins playing, we looked a little further out and there was 4 more. this was a little ways out from miami after we left the port. Is one of the memories of our trip.

It's hit or miss with the dolphins. I just went on my 4th cruise and saw dolphins for the first time. They were swimming along side of the ship and I was in heaven!!! We were on our way back to Miami from the Bahamas. Just keep a sharp eye out!

Erin :D

Our dining mates last February saw whales following in the wake behind the ship during sunrise.

Rae

Wow...I can't even imagine seeing whales!

I've never seen dolphins or whales or even flying fish during a cruise....although, I have been looking. I've seen dolphins while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC.

When we were on the Magic in January, I saw something leap out of the water that was too large to be a regular fish but too small to be a dolphin. We ALWAYS pack binoculars...besides sea creatures, they're fun for spotting "wild life" on the other ships when in port and for some general fun. My favorite binocular experience was once when we were in Nassau, docked next to a Navy ship. I was scanning it with the binoculars and discovered a guy over there with his own set of binoculars watching me watch him! We waved to each other and shared a "bonding moment." :D
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

No dolphins yet, but we did see two manatees near the ship while it was still docked at Port Canaveral. That was surprising since we went to several spots in the area looking for them and came up empty!

On our day at sea on the Wonder this summer, the dolphins were swiming with the ship and we were watching them over the side from Beach Blanket outdoor seating. It was hit or miss though. They only did this for about 10 minutes and then they were gone. We were lucky to have been eating then!

We've also seen stringrays at the Adult Beach and from the ship (near where we dock - the rocky area between ship and swimming area).

I love to wave at people on other ships - I can just hear them saying, "Ohhh, those lucky people on the Disney cruise!"
YEAH!

Rae

I think it's a matter of luck.

On our cruise to Alaska, we saw dolphins who swam with the ship. It was so much fun. They would jump, etc. This is where having a balcony came in so handy! Also so whales nearly every day!

On our last cruise (up to Canada), nothing to be seen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter