Donate a dessert or appetizer to a disney vacation family

Boardwalk Tigger

DIS Veteran
I have signed up for the DDP although I am concerned that this is way too much food for our family of four. I am planning on giving away two appetizers and two desserts for each TS we have to people who are sitting near us who aren't on the dining plan(fellow disney vacationers ). They will be my form of random acts of kindness and will keep our waistlines in check! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

yes, definitely do. We did this plenty of times last year when we were on DDP.

However, what we found was that we had a hard time giving desserts away because so many diners were on DDP. One time we ended up giving the dessert to the kitchen staff. Boy were they grateful for that... our server said that the bussers/servers were swamped that night and hadn't had a break in a while and the dessert we got them was a lifesaver.

Another time we gave a gigantic dessert from 50's prime time to the couple that were on their 1st trip to WDW, were broke college kids, and just got engaged. That sure made their day.

I love giving desserts away, especially to unsuspecting people or to kids.

What a great idea! I would love to do this on our next trip. Do you tell the waiter ahead of time that you would like to "donate" the dessert, or do you order it and just give it to your neighbor?

bashful4u said:
What a great idea! I would love to do this on our next trip. Do you tell the waiter ahead of time that you would like to "donate" the dessert, or do you order it and just give it to your neighbor?

I've heard that some either get the app/dessert and give it away, or they ask those next to them ahead of time what THEY would want, then give it to them.

I love this idea. I don't know how much we'll be able to do it since we're at a lot of buffets and plan to share with ds4 when we're at other ts meals but I will keep it in mind. :)

Beth pixiedust:

I've got to tell you...the first year we did the dining plan we tried in vain to give away desserts. It got to be pretty funny because people would give us the strangest looks when we tried to give away food. It's a suspicious society, it has to be I know, and it took a good amount of explaining to get people to understand why we we're giving them brownies and cakes. We only had about a 40% give away success rate, but we had alot of laughs in the process.

I'm planning on asking the people next to us what they would like and then when the order comes I will give it to them. Hopefully they will be comfortable with this. I hope they will since they will be able to see the dessert come. You do have to be careful these days! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I gave away a couple snacks and deserts several times last year to people around us. For the most part everyone was very greatful and loved it. Made me feel so good. One day I was shot down very rudely by a lady with 3 kids. I offered them our 2 sealed deserts from Peco's Bill and said we were on the dining plan and they came with our meal but we did not want them so I wanted to give them to somebody else. I had walked around trying to deicde who to give them to when i spotted her and thought she would be greatful. She gave me an ugly look and said no and turned very fast to walk away. it actually hurt my feelings b/c I was just trying to help and was treated like I was a terrible person.

Oh well, though it did not stop me from giving more away. I love to help out others while at Disney b.c I have had people do nice things for us too and it feels really good. Anything to make somebody's day. :goodvibes

If you are in line at a CS place, just ask the person ahead or behind you in line whether they are on the dining plan and then make your offer. At TS, pay attention to what the people seated near you say when the waiter asks about the DDP (our waiters generally asked at the beginning so that they could tell us what was included).

At CS, see whether people seem to be getting out cash or the KTTW card--yes, I know you can charge to the KTTW if you are not on the plan, but someone with cash in hand is a key to not being on the plan.

Thanks for all the responses. This is such a wonderful idea that I'm going to try on our next trip in August.

kcashner - i PMd you...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter