Don't bring ammunition to Turks & Caicos

My father is a life long hunter. The fact that post hunting ammo was not properly stored is disturbing. My father has 2 safes. Guns go in one, ammo in the other. That way if someone broke into one they don’t have the guns and ammo. This has been his practice since my parents were married 55 years ago. There should never have been ammo left in a bag regardless which bag they chose to use for the trip if they were following correct safe gun storage procedures. I have little sympathy, what if I kid found it and the gun. Awful.

In all the arguing about the airlines/TSA allowing it or not, missing it or not, this line from the State Department warning says it doesn't matter:

"We wish to remind all travelers that declaring a weapon in your luggage with an airline carrier does not grant permission to bring the weapon into TCI and will result in your arrest."

So even if the airline allowed it, or TSA missed it, or whatever, as far as T&C is concerned, you're still going to jail. Their rules supersede all else.

My father is a life long hunter. The fact that post hunting ammo was not properly stored is disturbing. My father has 2 safes. Guns go in one, ammo in the other. That way if someone broke into one they don’t have the guns and ammo. This has been his practice since my parents were married 55 years ago. There should never have been ammo left in a bag regardless which bag they chose to use for the trip if they were following correct safe gun storage procedures. I have little sympathy, what if I kid found it and the gun. Awful.

Exactly! He's got three or four young kids. :sad2:

In his interview, he said he doesn't remember putting the baggie of ammo in his bag. Unless he hunted with an unloaded gun, regardless of remembering he put the ammo in his bag, he knew it was in there and he used it. If he doesn't remember putting it in there, I have to wonder if he left it in from an even earlier hunting trip?

In all the arguing about the airlines/TSA allowing it or not, missing it or not, this line from the State Department warning says it doesn't matter:

"We wish to remind all travelers that declaring a weapon in your luggage with an airline carrier does not grant permission to bring the weapon into TCI and will result in your arrest."

So even if the airline allowed it, or TSA missed it, or whatever, as far as T&C is concerned, you're still going to jail. Their rules supersede all else.

Yes, why is this even up for debate? 🤷‍♀️ What happens in other countries, well, happens in other countries.

And for T&C to raise the penalty a few months ago, they must have been irked that the TSA misses a lot of ammo/guns coming in to their country. They raised the penalty so that we all know NOW: don't bring guns or ammo.

Yes, why is this even up for debate? 🤷‍♀️ What happens in other countries, well, happens in other countries.

And for T&C to raise the penalty a few months ago, they must have been irked that the TSA misses a lot of ammo/guns coming in to their country. They raised the penalty so that we all know NOW: don't bring guns or ammo.
I don’t think anyone is debating it in the sense of it making a difference in the court case. I’m reading more as a side discussion about possible failings by the TSA. Failings aren’t relevant to the trial/jail time but are an interesting (to those posters) discussion.

I don't have any sympathy for the guy. Ignorance of the law does not get you out of the consequences of not following that country's laws.
And you don’t find a lengthy jail term for a few bullets excessive? Mistakes happen.

You know, as much as I've traveled, it has never crossed my mind to bring ammo when traveling abroad, nor to just toss it in a suitcase and forget about it.
No one is just packing a baggie of bullets for their trip, they are left in the bag from previous times the bag was used. As in my example above when we got to Disney and I found a baggie of ammo in the bottom of my husband's backpack that I was repacking for the park. They got left in there from some other time the backpack was used and I didn't notice then when I was packing the bag for the plane.

If you had ever been to Beaches, Turks and Caicos, you would understand the appeal. It is the best all inclusive we have ever been too and we have been to a lot over the years.

And I suspect this happens everywhere. You only hear about Turks and Caicos because of their huge prison sentences.
We are going there next April. Very excited.

I read his next court appearance is June 7th. So even if he ends up getting out of charges, he's stuck there for quite some time. I mean if it wasn't for the very real threat of having to do 12 years of jail time, getting stuck there for a couple of months might not be the worst thing. Maybe his wife and kids could fly there and spend that time with him, while he can at least be out and about with them.

I think 12 years is harsh. I'm a little surprised as it's a British colony that the laws are that strict.
T&C is not a colony. They are a self-governing British Overseas Territory. Most of their citizens cannot own guns or ammunition and there has been an increase in the last few years of tourists bringing both. Both the government of the T&C and the US State Department have tried to make this clear but to no avail. Mr. Watson said he doesn't know how his arrest and sentence will help the islands. But, it has certainly gotten a lot of attention and perhaps this will wake people up.

Like when Brittany Griner went to jail in Russia. Yes, I'm sure they treated her worse because she was a famous American, but the fact is she still brought weed into a country that prohibits that. She made it easy for them to put her in jail. Had she not had the weed, she'd probably have been fine.

Referring back to Brittany Griner--her situation was not a mistake and rather arrogant but we went to great lengths to get her home.

Brittney Griner was not carrying weed. She had a vape pen and 2 vape cartridges with cannabis oil. Much like Mr. Watson, her items were legal at her home in the US and she stated that her possession of the cartridges was unintentional. As he said that he did not realize the bullets were in his bag, she stated she did not realize the cartridges were in hers. In fact, both used the same language in describing their experiences - "an honest mistake"

The difference is what happened after they were arrested. Mr. Watson was allowed counsel in his own language, access to the US State Department, and the opportunity to make bail. Despite her request, Ms. Griner did not have counsel during her arrest and questioning process. Ms. Griner had to work with a Russia-provided translator, who did not fully translate either the verbal questions or the documents, was denied access to US State Department officials for more than and month, and was never offered bail.

And you don’t find a lengthy jail term for a few bullets excessive? Mistakes happen.
Honestly, no, because Turks & Caicos is a whole separate country and they have the right to decide for themselves what their laws are. I am a gun owner myself. Took an NRA handgun safety class before purchasing the weapon. #1 thing they talked about in the class was safety, followed by a close 2nd theme of "Make absolutely sure you know & understand the local gun laws for wherever you are because ignorance of the law won't save you from jail time."

What that gun owner did was lazy, stupid, and careless. I hope that the authorities there will shorten his sentence, but my opinion about the local laws there is not relevant.

NewsNation interviewed a third American last night, who accidentally brought some ammo in, and was imprisoned in T&C for about 160 days and was released recently. :sad2: His penalty was before they raised it to the 12 years. He says they are very serious over there about this.

My thing with this story is, that while I can understand that you forget something in your suitcase after you come home from a holiday and do not notice it till your next vacation, this shouldn't happen with ammunition.

It means that you do not have a good grasp of how much ammunition you possess and where it is at all times.

If someone comes to your house and asks you: "where are all your guns and ammunition?" You should be able to tell the exact place and the amount of both.

Too many police movies and tv series have a scene that starts with "Hey, didn't I have a gun in this drawer? Oops, I guess it went missing."

Last edited:
:teacher: FYI: This is the U.S. Travel Advisories list. There are 5 pages. (Most of them are at Level 1: Normal precautions, and had Covid advisories removed.)

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

Level 4, like for Afganistan, Somolia and the Sudan, is frightening and interesting to read. :scared:

It actually advises if you are going:
  • Draft a will and designate appropriate insurance beneficiaries and/or power of attorney.
  • Discuss a plan with loved ones regarding care/custody of children, pets, property, belongings, non-liquid assets (collections, artwork, etc.), funeral wishes, etc.
  • Leave DNA samples with your medical provider in case it is necessary for your family to access them.
Basically, make plans as you might not make it back home. :scared: :sad1:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter