Double shows strike again - Wonder in Alaska

it doesnt cut costs if you only do the three shows twice. it actually costs money because entertainers are hired based on their show, they don't necessarily do all three shows so if they perform a second show they get paid extra. that's one reason disney doesnt really like to do matinees. at least that is what a former CM in entertainment said to my family on our last cruise.

I'm on the Wonder right now (June 7th) and our cruise is showing:
  • The Golden Mickey's
  • Frozen (twice)
  • Dreams: An Enchanted Classic
  • The Great DuBois variety act
  • The Music & Comedy of John Charles
  • Solo (Star Wars)
No shortage of entertainment on this 7-night cruise. The only one of these not to be shown in the Walt Disney Theatre is the magic show, which is showing in Azure while Frozen's second night is in the WD Theatre. The Frozen audience was overflowing last night, so it seems logical to show it twice.

The Freezing the Night Away deck party was on the 3rd night of our cruise, which was our glacier day, so that made perfect sense. The 4th night (today) is Skagway with an all-aboard of 8pm, so holding it tonight wouldn't make much sense.

This looks like a really good list. Showing Frozen twice makes very good sense, especially with it being so popular. We've seen John Charles quite often. Brilliant entertainer and because his shows are request based, it's a bit different every time.

While I understand that it may be a bit of a disappointment when things change and maybe there isn't a great option one night in the large theater, I really don't get how it would dramatically change the cruise experience. I made the mistake ONCE of setting unrealistic expectations for a Disney vacation and walked away from a perfectly good experience disappointed.

This looks like a really good list. Showing Frozen twice makes very good sense, especially with it being so popular. We've seen John Charles quite often. Brilliant entertainer and because his shows are request based, it's a bit different every time.

While I understand that it may be a bit of a disappointment when things change and maybe there isn't a great option one night in the large theater, I really don't get how it would dramatically change the cruise experience. I made the mistake ONCE of setting unrealistic expectations for a Disney vacation and walked away from a perfectly good experience disappointed.
Agreed. The entertainment has been great this cruise. In fact, I realized that I originally left off another variety act, The Magic and Comedy of Jon Armstrong, from the list.

Last edited:
it doesnt cut costs if you only do the three shows twice. it actually costs money because entertainers are hired based on their show, they don't necessarily do all three shows so if they perform a second show they get paid extra. that's one reason disney doesnt really like to do matinees. at least that is what a former CM in entertainment said to my family on our last cruise.
You might pay the CMs a bit more for a second performance, but that is nothing compared to the cost of hiring a headline entertainer to stay on your ship for 7 days. Some of them get paid very well by studios for TV / cinema roles. If you have multiple ships plying the same route or region, you can have the entertainer "jump ship" in ports, but that's not the case with Disney in Europe and Alaska.

I made the mistake ONCE of setting unrealistic expectations for a Disney vacation and walked away from a perfectly good experience disappointed.
That's the part most of the vocal bloggers are missing. They will simply end up ruining their own vacations if Disney doesn't pull through.

but that is nothing compared to the cost of hiring a headline entertainer to stay on your ship for 7 days.
In reality, many of those individual performers are not "headline entertainers". Many of them "do" the cruise line circuit only.

Plus, usually, the entertainer that's on in the first half of the cruise gets off and a second entertainer does the second half. Then that second entertainer works the beginning of the next cruise, with another entertainer switching in for the second half. So, only onboard 3-4 days max. Usually one of those days is used for rehearsal, and 2 days performances (big theater and lounge.)

In reality, many of those individual performers are not "headline entertainers". Many of them "do" the cruise line circuit only.

Plus, usually, the entertainer that's on in the first half of the cruise gets off and a second entertainer does the second half. Then that second entertainer works the beginning of the next cruise, with another entertainer switching in for the second half. So, only onboard 3-4 days max. Usually one of those days is used for rehearsal, and 2 days performances (big theater and lounge.)
Disney will try and find such up-and-comers, but as the cruise industry growth has ballooned, you have too many ships chasing too few of them. The good ones will eventually take off (such as Drew Seeley in Disney's case). And it may then become a toss-up between a random entertainer on a variety act vs a repeat show.

Agreed about the scheduling of the entertainers - but it's 6-7 days for each whether on one sailing or split between two. For Alaskan and some European itineraries (incl. in Italy), you need to pre-plan jump ships very carefully due to the PVSA - unless you had multiple ships.

Disney will try and find such up-and-comers, but as the cruise industry growth has ballooned, you have too many ships chasing too few of them. The good ones will eventually take off (such as Drew Seeley in Disney's case). And it may then become a toss-up between a random entertainer on a variety act vs a repeat show.

Agreed about the scheduling of the entertainers - but it's 6-7 days for each whether on one sailing or split between two. For Alaskan and some European itineraries (incl. in Italy), you need to pre-plan jump ships very carefully due to the PVSA - unless you had multiple ships.
Entertainers boarding an disembarking a ship are not subject to the PVSA. Plus the PVSA is not applicable in Europe.

Entertainers boarding an disembarking a ship are not subject to the PVSA. Plus the PVSA is not applicable in Europe.
Good point about the entertainers being exempt - had slipped my mind!

More than 60 countries, incl. several in Europe, have maritime cabotage laws similar to the PVSA.

The trouble is no one knows why Disney is doing this and it’s pretty irrelevant even if we did. For whatever reason this is a change that they have made.
People can present their supposition/opinion as fact as to the cause but it still doesn’t make it so.
Some folks might welcome and embrace the changes, some are presumably ambivalent and others dislike it.
Some of those who dislike the change have been contacting DCL but to the best of my knowledge haven’t received replies other than either generic answers or we are investigating type responses.
So I guess if DCL wish to keep the double show method we have two choices work with it or stop cruising with Disney.
My whole family have only cruised with DCL but funnily enough my daughter has already spoken about switching out cruise lines next year as she fancies trying some larger ships with many more activities. My son and his wife are preferring more land based vacations and we are in the process of cancelling a DCL cruise in favour of Turks and Caicos for later this year. I’m on the fence, because I’m tired of the same old itineraries, so after my Med cruise this year and perhaps doing the WBPC again next year I might do other stuff until the new ships arrive. So double shows won’t be the deciding factor but I won’t be sorry to switch out for a while and who knows the decision could even reverse if DCL so chooses and I would welcome that.

We never go to the shows so this doesn't impact us other than will the other activities now be more crowded? It seem that the shows give a lot of people something to do especially on the Caribbean itineraries that aren't port intensive.

I am going to be optimistic and hope that they are testing something for the new ships. I would love to see a My time dining option on DCL. Not having this is one of the main negatives of DCL.

In the Caribbean or Bahamas that seems to be true from our experience, but in Alaska John Charles was on the entire cruise.

We saw the Golden Mickeys 2 days ago. It is not on hiatus.

The 3 main shows plus 3 variety acts and the Solo movie are all on display on the Wonder this week. Everything's been great. No worries.

That's great news. The Golden Mickeys has always been one of my favorites. But I tend to enjoy most of the shows because I am overly sentimental for all things Disney.

We recently returned from Alaska and received a DCL survey. Several questions were about the new show schedule, including whether you attended a show more than once.

In the Caribbean or Bahamas that seems to be true from our experience, but in Alaska John Charles was on the entire cruise.
Well, John Charles is an experience unto himself. Our very first cruise, he was only scheduled at the beginning of the cruise, but due to demand, was kept onboard longer than planned for additional shows. Since then he's been on the whole cruise (on the ones we've been on).

Well, John Charles is an experience unto himself. Our very first cruise, he was only scheduled at the beginning of the cruise, but due to demand, was kept onboard longer than planned for additional shows. Since then he's been on the whole cruise (on the ones we've been on).

He also goes the extra mile when asked. We were on a cruise and the seas were too rough for Twice Charmed on the scheduled night so they asked him to do an extra show in the Walt Disney Theater. He did what was basically a totally ad lib show, mainly taking requests from the audience, and making jokes the whole time. It ended being very entertaining and we had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter