Down with wallpaper!!!!!!

Thanks RitaZ, but notice it has taken 10 years to get to this point and with so much more to go it will probably be another 10 years before I get rid of it all. I wouldn't mind if it was all somewhat neutral like our family room, but the rest of it was large flowery pastels popular in the 80's when the house was built. I agree with you that the glue is the worst. My problem to was that the hall bath was vinyl covered so just wetting it wouldn't work for me. I will try the fabric softener trick on other walls though I have gotten pretty handy with the steamer. I hardly burn myself at all now. Good luck. Jay

Thanks for the fabris softener tip!! My bathroom has been a mess forever. The wallpaper was peeling and was soooo old i started to take it down but there are layers and layers of crap under there. Then i got pregnant and stopeed working on it all because my i knew I couldnt finish any of it. Well I had the baby in Feb and both of my parents were like well come over and show you what to do but neither have so this thread has been very helpful. Im gonna try to use the fabris softner but the walla arent in good shape and probably cant be painted. HOw do I smooth them out? Then Ill have to rewallpaper or or do some painting where it looks textured
any suggestions?

Well on the subject of wallpaper - I have over the last couple of days stripped off wallpaper, painted the walls, the ceiling & the coving and was really proud of the fact that the rolls of wallpaper was just enough with only the little strips at the bottom left.

Anyhoo when I was laying the carpet I glanced up admiring my work :) & noticed that for some strange reason I completely missed the little bit above the door - we are talking about a bit about 4" by the width of a roll - so for the sake of a few inches I have to now go out & buy a full roll lol.

I love my wallpaper steamer, most used diy tool - especially with all the attachments for steam cleaning stuff.

Carol

as someone who is allergic to fabric softner, hot water and white vinegar will also do the trick! I use abouit 1/3 Vinegar to 2/3 water.

If your walls are a mess underneath, and you cant just paint, they also make a paintable wallpaper. I had a linen weave pattern in my old house. It covered a multitude of sins. You can put up to 10 coats of paint on the paper, so it lasts a few years.

I special ordered mine through a wallpaper place years ago, but I think Home Depot carries it.

gb

I too want to send my wallpaper back to the 1980's where it belongs. Tell me, what do you do to your walls once all the paper and glue is removed? Most of my walls were always wallpapered and have to texture underneath. Is that something that is going to be messy and expensive to do before I can paint?:confused:

When you say textured, how textured is it? If it is a true textured surface, I do not think you need to do more than just sand and paint. It should come out okay. You may need to fill in some spots with spackle if you have any holes or indentations that you do not want. I do not think you need to do anything else, but if it does not look right to you, then you may have to skim coat it with a textured plaster. Jay

I really should proof read my posts. I meant to say the walls have NO texture, since they were always wallpapered.

I have that really old paper and when i pulle dit down it was all brown uner neath the glue im assumong and under that its lime green paint I think
so once i peel offt eh glue do i need to prime the walls or can i just re paper
I know the walls are in bad shape so i cant just paint i think that would be to much to work and this apartment isnt worth it
its bad enough I have to do all this anyway
my landlordisnt great about up keep we are always fixing stuff and then deducting it from the rent...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter