Dramamine in Canada?

CJK

DIS Veteran
Hi all

Does anyone know if the motion sickness drug dramamine is sold anywhere in Canada, specifically Ontario?? It's the only thing that actually helps dh with plane travel and rides. Gravol just makes him drowsy. If dramamine is not sold in Canada, do you know if we can order it from the US? Dh has had to make many unexpected flights these last few weeks and as a result, is all out! Thanks for your help!

I found Bromine?? I think that is the name, which is the same as Dramamine at Zehrs. I needed help in finding it - as I was looking for Dramamine too! It was a silver box with red lettering and it had a plane and a ship on the box.

It worked great for us when we went on our cruise in January.

wow, thanks so much! I'm sending dh to Zehrs today to find it! Thanks a lot! :D

Bonomine - that is the name of it! I just looked in the medicine cabinet and I have a few left! We took them 2 days before our cruise and then every morning of the cruise. 1 tablet a day and we were smooth sailing!

Bonamine works great for me. I used to feel nauseous for hours when I had to accompany my girls on any spinny tea cup type rides. No more nausea with Bonamine.

I alway find it at Walmart. Sometimes its with the Gravol, sometimes it is behind the counter.

thanks all! We bought some today. Interestingly enough, we looked at the ingredients, and they're identical to gravol! Dh's going to use it on Thursday so I'll try to remember to post how it works. Thanks again!!

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but wanted to hear from Canadian DCL cruisers who have used these sea sickness remedies...can you still find them at Shoppers Drug Mart and Walmart, and which is the best one to get for kids too? Our cruise is still a while off but I want to be prepared!

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but wanted to hear from Canadian DCL cruisers who have used these sea sickness remedies...can you still find them at Shoppers Drug Mart and Walmart, and which is the best one to get for kids too? Our cruise is still a while off but I want to be prepared!

Bonine is sold in the US. The Canadian version was called Bonamine but it is no longer sold in Canada. I went on a Princess cruise this past March. Flew out of Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale. Stopped at a Walgreens in Buffalo and picked up a couple of packs of Bonine. Worked like a charm. Cruise was on Sunday and we flew down on the Saturday. I took one on the Friday evening and to get it in the system and then Saturday morning before flying down and each morning of the cruise. Didn't feel drowsy like I do with Gravol. Gravol makes me fall asleep on the plane. No air sickness or sea sickness with the Bonine. Not sure if there's a children's version or if they just take half of the adult dose. I believe the ones I had were raspberry flavoured.

They were selling Dramamine on the Cruise we were on and the price was reasonable. Also they will have it in any airport in the USA.

FYI we were given pills from the CMs on our Magic cruise in 2010. It didn't make me drowsy at all. I got them from the reception desk in the lobby.

The Canadian and American names are different for the same drug.

In Canada: Gravol. In the US: Dramamine. Generic name: dimenhydrinate
This is the stuff that makes you drowsy.

In Canada: Bonamine (no longer available). In the US: Bonine or nondrowsy Dramamine . Generic name: meclizine. This is the non-drowsy anti nauseant that the OP was asking about. It is also the stuff they hand out like candy on the ships.

Hi; equivalent medication to dramamine is gravol here and you should be able to get it over the counter at the pharmacy with no problems.

Just as another option...we've just started using those sickness bands for our daughter who gets car sick. Didn't have much faith but the drugs didn't agree with her so thought it was worth a shot.
And it works like a charm!
The trip we took last week was a 4 hour drive and she read her book, watched tv and played video games with no sickness! Some say it's mind over matter but hey, it works and i'm a very happy mum!
Just hope they help for our next cruise :goodvibes

I've taken both Dramamine and Gravol and I think Dramamine is amazing stuff! I was first introduced to it on DCL where I believe it is in abundance. We didn't have to pay for it either so I wouldn't worry about pre-packing it unless it's for your airplane ride. I feel like there was even a big container of packets of the stuff outside the medical centre on the ship. In any case, at least when we went, it was very very easy to get on board.

Since its not available in Canada, I get relatives who live in the US and visit us often to buy Dramamine for me. The non-drowsy, one pill per day Dramamine is amazing and allows me to ride the "big" rides at Disney. :woohoo:

Does anybody know if the non-drowsy one pill per day Dramamine is available at MCO airport? My DH gets really nauseaous at Disney from the rides and the food but he doesn't want something thats going to make him sleepy. Is the non-drowsy stuff like the ginger gravol? Has anybody ever tried the ginger gravol? (Its supposed to be non-drowsy)

Does anybody know if the non-drowsy one pill per day Dramamine is available at MCO airport? My DH gets really nauseaous at Disney from the rides and the food but he doesn't want something thats going to make him sleepy. Is the non-drowsy stuff like the ginger gravol? Has anybody ever tried the ginger gravol? (Its supposed to be non-drowsy)

You can probably find the non-drowsy Dramamine or Bonine (same stuff, different name, active ingredient meclizine) at the airport, but will be paying a premium price for it. Ginger gravol is no different than buying the ginger capsules from a health food store. It is an herbal substitute. Tried it on a Disney cruise. Didn't work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter