• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dress attire on Alaskan Cruise

Susie M.

Earning My Ears
My husband an I are leaving on May 29 for the Alaskan cruise...can't wait! What do passengers wear onboard? Summer attire? Ive been told that off the ship, you need to dress in layers. Just wondering what other type of clothing to bring. Thank you!

I highly recommend putting the port cities into a weather app on your phone. In 2 Alaskan cruises (on other lines - by group and not choice), I've had 3 of 14 days that were "Alaska weather". The rest of the days were sunny and warm-ish. (Of course temperature is relative to individuals as well, so YMMV. :) )

My husband an I are leaving on May 29 for the Alaskan cruise...can't wait! What do passengers wear onboard? Summer attire? Ive been told that off the ship, you need to dress in layers. Just wondering what other type of clothing to bring. Thank you!
Well, onboard, it's a good idea to dress in layers, also. Remember you're still in the same weather. And, generally, indoor areas are often quite cool.

We went in the pools, hot tubs, etc, but we wore jeans, long sleeves, etc on the ship walking around. Dining rooms are chilly. We all brought fleeces and waterproof north face jackets...that worked for everything. I brought hats and gloves but didn't use them (I'd bring them again though.) In ports, we wore jeans, yoga pants, layers on top. We had really great weather!!!

I wore pants every night for around the ship, I brought one sweater dress and put leggings on with it. Brought 2 pair of boots one pair of uggs and one dressier pair for dinners. I'm cold on caribbean cruises and need a jacket or sweater for MDR.

Have fun!!

We went in May and sometimes I was colder on the ship then off. Every time I would walk by an open door I would freeze! That being said I agree just dress in layers. Bring light to medium sweaters for on the ship depending on your comfort. I agree also that the MDRs are slightly chilly. On formal night I took pictures and then went to the room to change.

Have fun it is so beautiful there.

Some 20 years ago at the end of May we spent 2 1/2 weeks in central Alaska, from Homer to Juneau to Denali to Fairbanks. We wore shirts, jeans, sweaters/sweatshirts and rain gear (outer shell/windbreaker with hood) almost everywhere. For excursions you probably need boots or shoes that are warm and waterproof, depending on how rustic your adventure is. I hate hats, but had one just in case. Gloves I did not need. All this being said, the inside passage is rather unique because it is near/on the ocean. Also agree that DCL plans for most of their inside venues to be warm after an hour or so, so the AC is cranked up at the start. We go in June out of Vancouver and will probably take the same warm clothes. Be sure to take your camera and have a great time. Great having the extremes of Alaska cold and Tiana's hot jazz!! Should be a hoot!

Most people were in jeans. Some will wear shorts, which is fine if you don't venture out onto the decks. May in Alaska will still be cold. So if you plan to spend a lot of time on the decks, be ready with at least a light jacket and blanket. On excursions, layering is really important. A lot of the time it will be cold and possibly rainy. However, there could be a surprise where the sun comes out and it actually gets into the 70s and above. Alaska is very difficult to predict, even for those who live there. Layering allows you to shed when necessary. After 7 days of the cold weather, even 70 will feel quite warm.

We did the DVC Member's Only Alaska cruise in May of 2015 and we were very lucky with the weather. Every port was sunny and 70 degrees or so. Underway gets a little chilly, especially heading up Tracy Arm. Be prepared to dress for warm and colder weather. Yes it means packing more but you never know. Then again I do not get cold easily.
Enjoy the cruise, it is a FANTASTIC one!

It was jeans and sweatshirts in September. No big coats but rain jackets were absolutely necessary. that is still early in the season so I might not count on wearing shorts. Layers are good.

What did you wear in the MDRs? I have 2 16 year old girls that are stressing about dinner. Worried they'll be freezing in sundresses. Are jeans ok for them? I know they're acceptable but they are really concerned about looking out of place. You know teenagers...

We each brought a heavy sweater, one hoodie and long pants (jeans, dockers, etc.). We brought some tees and some long-sleeve shirts. We never needed shorts (we went in May also). The coldest and dampest port we had was Ketchikan. We all had brought rain jackets and just layered under them. We did bring scarves and hats and gloves -- and did use them both in the ports and up on deck.

What did you wear in the MDRs? I have 2 16 year old girls that are stressing about dinner. Worried they'll be freezing in sundresses. Are jeans ok for them? I know they're acceptable but they are really concerned about looking out of place. You know teenagers...
For Alaska, we generally wore what we had on that day--jeans and a t-shirt or we put on fresh jeans/t-shirt if needed. We did dress up for formal night in a nice dress, and wore a casual jersey dress on semi formal night. We did not feel out of place at all.

Jeans are very popular in Alaska, and much warmer than sundresses in the chilly(!) main dining rooms.

I dressed more casually at dinner in Alaska that on the Caribbean cruises but still did not wear jeans. I saw plenty of people wear jeans though. Overall it is a bit more casual. Formal night was just as formal as the Caribbean though.

We ridiculously brought "formal" wear (skirts, blouses, dress shirt and tie, etc.) and didn't use a stitch of it!

For Alaska, we generally wore what we had on that day--jeans and a t-shirt or we put on fresh jeans/t-shirt if needed. We did dress up for formal night in a nice dress, and wore a casual jersey dress on semi formal night. We did not feel out of place at all.
This is what we did exactly. We had all the dress up clothes, but other than the formal/semi-formal nights and Palo, we didn't dress up like we did in the Carribean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter