Drinking around the world with daughter on 21st birthday...

We are doing this in November for my youngest who is turning 21 -- she's bringing a few friends, a couple of cousins and her brother and sister - there will be 11 of us altogether! She is ridiculously excited about it. We are planning a full day at Epcot and to definitely share drinks so we can still enjoy the rides and park attractions. Wondered if anyone has suggestions for dinner? We don't want anything too expensive but would like a place we can all possibly sit together.
Also we are thinking of maybe walking over to BW to Jellyrolls or the ESPN -- good or bad idea?

Take tons of photos!! When my girlfriends and I did this in 2010 we brought disposable cameras; if we used the digital 90% of the pictures would have been deleted cause someone didn't like the face they were making. When we got home we made a scarp book, listed our drinks (2 per country), snacks, shows, little jokes. The best part was seeing the photos, for the first time and the progression from silly to sillier as the day went on! Hope you girls have fun!!

Get the tequila flight at Mexico's La Cava de Tequila bar.
Four shots of tequila on one platter.

No... however these are things that my mom would have made me do had she been with me, so it seems like important things for a mom to know if she's trying to keep her daughter from having a massive hangover.

I probably wouldn't have felt like I'd been hit by a truck the next day if I had done them!

:thumbsup2

My DD(23) & I are doing this in about a month!!! So excited! :cool1:

It has been several years since our last trip and she was only 17 at the time so not a lot of drinking at all. This time we will be looking forward to spending the whole day there sampling the F&WF, although just the food bits since we will already be drinking. And we will be enjoying all the entertainment while we tour the world! :thumbsup2

And we got decorated bags to carry with us to have CM's sign!! :rotfl:

I am in the process of planning this same trip with my daughter, her 2 friends and their moms!!! Keep sending the tips...didn't think about shirts, but great idea!!! And the camera too!!!

did this in may 2013 with friends ... pure awesome. Esp with f/g or f/w since the pavillions have special drinks!!! Def take pictures in each area, or with each drink, they get pretty funny toward the end :)

Did this last June for my nephews 21st.I had shirts made with all the countries listed,then at each stop we would get the signature drink and check off that country.My nephew would then have the bartender sign his shirt and we would get a picture.Don't miss Carl at the Rose and Crown,tequila bar in Mexico and the orange Grand Manier in France!Have fun,pace yourselves and drink lots of water.

Tell the bartenders/servers at the margarita carts or whatever that someone is 21 or whatever you're celebrating. The more festive you act, the more liquor you get! Haha.

We went for my daughter's 22nd and 23rd birthdays. She's a September birthday also (the 11th) so we just waited a few extra weeks and did it during the food and wine festival. We both ate and drank over a long weekend, did t-shirts, and honestly a lot of sharing because we just couldn't eat and drink that much at one time so in order to try a lot of different drinks/food items we shared. The fun part on her 22nd we surprised her with booking a pirate room at cbr. She was a big poc fan in high school and they hadn't been open very long at that time. Plus it put us on a short bus ride to epcot. If you take her friends with you I'd just be sure they're also 21 or you've spoken to their parents so as not to suddenly have an ugly talk with someones parent...just in case.

HAVE FUN!!!!

Planning on doing this for my daughters 21st. Can't wait, even though its not until 2015!

That's nothing ~ we just got back last night/early this morning from taking my DD to celebrate her Sweet 16 with her 2 BFFs. My BFF (who also happens to be mom to one of the girls) & I decided we're taking all 3 of them down when the youngest turns 21 in 2019!!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

That's nothing ~ we just got back last night/early this morning from taking my DD to celebrate her Sweet 16 with her 2 BFFs. My BFF (who also happens to be mom to one of the girls) & I decided we're taking all 3 of them down when the youngest turns 21 in 2019!!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Too bad you couldn't go by the legal drinking age in Canada/UK..you'd only have to wait until 2016 or 2017 for your trip :)

To the OP, it sounds like an awesome idea. But if you're starting in Mexico, DON'T start with Tequila shots. If your daughter actually hasn't had a drink before :rolleyes1, a harsh shot right out the gate is gonna make any other drink go down like water, which is NOT a good thing haha. Have fun..I'm sure the end of the night pictures will be interesting haha. Why don't you pick a spot right inside the gate for a Before and After Shot? I'm betting one of those wouldn't make it to the family Christmas card haha

Too bad you couldn't go by the legal drinking age in Canada/UK..you'd only have to wait until 2016 or 2017 for your trip :)

LOL! I really hope she doesn't see this - she already thinks she's Canadian even though she's never lived anywhere but NJ!!!!

There's nothing wrong with getting wasted at Disney. Its the Most Magical Place on Earth...why not?

I took on the challenge of drinking around the world about a week ago on my (/sigh 27th) birthday. It was good times.

We did half of the countries, did some rides, then went back for the 2nd half of the countries.

My greatest takeaway. Dont do Mission Space intense mode after drinking half-way around the world. In fact, dont do Mission Space at all after any drinking around the world. haha.

So fun! What a great birthday idea - she will LOVE it!

We do this every time we go to EPCOT and always have a blast. Beware - the cost of this mission is not for the faint of heart - figure anywhere between $6-12 per drink per country.

Some tips (we're rope-droppers, FYI):
~ Knock out as many rides as you plan to do that day BEFORE you start your trek around the World. Especially Mission: Space and Test Track.
~ Start in Mexico - the icy/slushie margaritas from the casita across from the Temple are very light on alcohol, so it's an easy start into the venture. If/when you decide to head back for seconds, head inside the Temple and try a real margarita - or flight of margaritas!
~ If there are a group of you, consider starting the trek by splitting drinks. Keep note of what you like and don't like and where it was - this will come in handy later.
~ You don't necessarily have to drink at the countries in order - if you want to skip, say, France and save your Grey Goose slushie or Champagne until later when you're watching Illuminations, then do it!
~ Look for places to sit and drink versus walking around with drinks. There are great tables with umbrellas by the "Africa"-themed bridge area. Also, there is a great area of tables on the water by Rose & Crown that aren't part of the Rose & Crown. This "research" will come in handy later.
~ Share snacks as you travel the countries. We love to split the slider platter at Tangierine, as well as the udon soup in Japan, nachos in Mexico and pastries in France.
~ Take your time and enjoy the trek. We usually start our trip(s) around the World as soon as WS opens and we go through Illuminations. But we like to meander around, enjoy the scenery (and the nice weather!). We've done treks where we've brought a deck of cards or that Farkle game and have enjoyed playing while we enjoy drinks and snacks at a table by the lagoon.
~ Water, water, water! Even if it's just stopping to sip a little at a fountain, nobody wants to be the first one to call it quits while Drinking Around the World.

We hardly ever do TS at EPCOT because we snack around the World. About ~45-60 minutes before Illuminations, we have a pretty good idea of what drinks we want to close our night out with and find a table close to those locations. For instance, my husband really enjoys fancy beers, while I like champagne/prosecco to end my night. If you've been keeping track of what you like (maybe in a Passport?), you can find a nice table along the water so you're close enough for you nightcap drinks!

As far as the drinks go, other than the Grey Goose slushies, I don't think there many are of a high enough ABV that would really mess up a newly-minted 21 year old while drinking around the World. Encourage the slushie/mixed drinks over wine/beer unless they have experience with that. But definitely have at least one glass of Champagne/Prosecco to celebrate the birthday.

Also, coconut water and Emergen-C the next morning are a quick fix for any potential hangover!

Cheers and enjoy!!

Thanks for starting this thread!! Heading down with my DD in March that will turn 21 this weekend.
This trip is a celebration of her turning 21 and a reschedule from a trip I was going to take with her over the summer but had to cancel as my mother was in the hospital gravely ill. I think I am looking forward to it as much as she is.
We are staying at the Beach Club so will be walking on our Epcot Days and are planning on sharing our drinks to be able to try more than we would otherwise.
I love the t-shirt idea. I am going to start looking now.
I am just happy the my DD is looking forward to doing something like this with her mom to celebrate her 21st. I love my mom to death but would never have thought of doing anything like this with her!!

My mom had arranged something similar when i was 20. It was a;so a girls only trip with my friends and my moms close friends were with us.

We did this a few years ago when my DD turned 21. It was so fun when they carded her, everyone was really nice and made her feel special. She wanted to try each country but not all at once, so we went to different parks in the mornings and afternoons, then head into Epcot for the evening and dinner. She really doesn't drink much, so this was great way for her to celebrate.

DH and I have tried drinking around the world but no matter if we start in Canada we can't get past France :thumbsup2 --- If we start in Mexico we can't get past Italy :thumbsup2 --- It all about the wine!!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

When DH and I head down for the holidays maybe we'll try again... ;)

Another tip, start at Mexico. The Margaritas are great! Tequila is much better to start the day then end.

I agree with starting in mexico, but I would keep it all beer if she doesn't drink often. tequila and then tons of beer is not the way to go :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter