Driving around LA area to Aneheim

calena

<font color=red>BL II - Red Team<br> <font color=g
Is it quite wild to drive around LA area to Aneheim? DH's relatives live in Monrovia - we will stay with them and drive to DL. DH told me last night he might not be able to go on our trip because of work!!!! I told him the kids and I are going (i've booked the time off work, we have the flights and our timeshare in Las Vegas and to cancel everything may or may not work!) - so can I handle the driving????? I've driven in Toronto (big city) but I think Canadian drivers are less aggressive than LA drivers! I've also driven in Orlando etc.
Deb

I've lived in LA area all my life (except for 3 yrs in Sacramento) so maybe I'm just used to the freeways and drivers. But I would think you would be fine. People are more aggresive out here but I wouldn't say it's much different than any other large city. Good luck!!

DH's grandparents are buried in the area, we drove from DL up to Monrovia, Arcadia, and a few other places up there and back to DL. It was not a bad drive. The freeway was not any worse than others I have been on.

When we went in May I did all the driving, while dh did all the navigating. I'm more relaxed at the wheel than he is, and we were a little worried about driving in LA traffic as you hear all sorts of horror stories. Yes, they are more aggressive driving, but once we started I found the driving wasn't as bad as I thought. As long as you know where your going ahead of time, and stay off the freeways on peak hours, you should be fine.

Have a great trip.

Linda

calena said:
Is it quite wild to drive around LA area to Aneheim? DH's relatives live in Monrovia - we will stay with them and drive to DL. DH told me last night he might not be able to go on our trip because of work!!!! I told him the kids and I are going (i've booked the time off work, we have the flights and our timeshare in Las Vegas and to cancel everything may or may not work!) - so can I handle the driving????? I've driven in Toronto (big city) but I think Canadian drivers are less aggressive than LA drivers! I've also driven in Orlando etc.
Deb

Just stay in the slow lane if things get too tense - and don't let some jerk in a hurry get you stressed out. You can do it - you'll be fine. It's not that bad - really - I drive the freeways all the time - and just know if you miss an off ramp - you can take the next and turn around. There are often many routes to your destination - so sometimes missing one freeway isn't the end of the world - mapquest your route - then mark it on a map and look for alternatives in case you need them. Enjoy the journey! :drive:

I'm from AZ & we can be just as aggressive. It's just b/c of the busy freeways & long commutes-everyone is on a mission! :)

Just remember to take action, don't be scared to make a move, just do it (with proper signals of course) ;)

You can do it, all it takes is trust....and (pixie) dust!! Sorry...had to add it in. :blush:

I was just in Anaheim. We drove from the airport to Hollywood (had to go to the Disney Fountain shop!) and then we drove to Anaheim (and drove around the area...to Fullerton, Crystal Cathederal, etc).

I drive in Toronto all the time...even during rush hour (or otherwise known as hurry up and wait.) If you can drive on the DVP or the 400 during rush hour or the 401 during rush hour or the 400 during cottage season, you can drive in Los Angeles. Just have your directions printed out (we googled all of our map directions before we left Toronto) and you should be fine. Just have somebody reading the directions to you.

I found LA drivers to be a bit more daring in their lane changes but...not much different than here in TO. I've also driven in Las Vegas and it's fine too. You'll be just fine there.

Take the freeway - probably the 605, south to I-5. Once you get to Interstate 5 go south ("to Santa Ana" or "to San Diego") and just stay on that until you get to the Disneyland exit in Anaheim. It drops you off right next to the park. You can almost throw a rock out your window while driving down the freeway and have it land inside Disneyland, its so close.

darkacre said:
Take the freeway - probably the 605, south to I-5. Once you get to Interstate 5 go south ("to Santa Ana" or "to San Diego") and just stay on that until you get to the Disneyland exit in Anaheim. It drops you off right next to the park. You can almost throw a rock out your window while driving down the freeway and have it land inside Disneyland, its so close.
We used to live in Monrovia and that is exactly how we would go (the 605 is right off the 210 that runs right thru Monrovia). I would avoid the early am's & late afternoons as these are the "rush" hours, the 605 is a piece of cake, the 5 South can be a little hairy, it is an older freeway and IMO narrower than some of the new ones, but still fairly easy and you can't miss DL it is very well marked.

Have fun

The Disneyland exit from the southbound I-5 is called "Disneyland Drive". Note that the carpool lane (on the far left) has its own exit ramp at Disneyland Drive so you can get off the freeway there without making 4 lane changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter