Driving from NO recommendations

charlottechris

Earning My Ears
Due to Hurricane Katrina, we're not able to get our wonderful non-stop SWA flights from NO to Orlando for our Dec trip home. DH may have to fly up later do to additional work obligations from Hurricane Katrina, but I'm going to drive with DD's (5 and 6). I'm trying to decide whether to drive straight through or stop somewhere around Tallahasse or Lake City. Anyone have any suggestions? In addition to maybe needing a break from driving, I'm concerned with a late check in. Also, I booked a WL room using my AP discount for my DB and his family and I won't be able to turn in my voucher before we try to check them in if we drive straight through. Any experience with this?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Can't help with the driving question (I think it is a good idea to break if up, though), but don't worry about the voucher. The worst that can happen is that the CM asks you to stop back to show the actual AP. Many have checked in with just a voucher - sometimes you are not even asked for it at all.

Best wishes -

drving from birmingham,Al it is 9 hours to 12 hours.

so you can definitely do it

I average 10 hours - with everyone else asleep.....

otherwise 11 hours.

there are a bunch of nice and I mean nice rest stops on I10 in Florida.

so if you need to stop this is a great place to do. the security is there to insured no one gets kills in these things again.

that say - if this is first time driving that distance - I would stop in Lake City, Fl. there are a bunch of coupons in the free booklets you get at the Florida rest stops for this place.

if you really think you can make it - then I would leave a day early and drive to Kissimmee (on US 192 in Fl). Stay some place and check in bright and early the next morning.

the voucher is good to check in - but you can be required to show them the annual pass during your stay.

We are about 6 hours from Biloxi in NW LA. It takes us about 8 hours from Biloxi (14 hours total). You should be able to go the entire way if you leave in the AM. If you leave after school, you should be able to get to Tallahassee.

We're right outside of Mobile, and it takes us about 7-7.5 depending if we stop to eat. We used to leave when the kids got out of school, and drive to Lake City or Ocala to spend the night. The last few times we have just driven straight on in. I usually use priceline to get a room for our late arrival night and then just check in bright and early the next morning. We have really gotten used to the drive and I really don't mind it anymore. I would think if you limited your stops, you could make it in 10-11 hours. Is I 10 opened all back up across Miss? If so, you shouldn't have any problems. Look at it this way, you won't need to rent a car this trip. We always enjoy having our own car on property. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. Best wishes with your trip. I know first hand that after staring at hurricane debris for months, it's so nice to enjoy a change of pace and some pretty green grass at WDW!

By the way, we usually leave after school and drive about 7 hours to Daphne (just east of Mobile on the bay) from Shreveport. We get there late (around midnight), but get up early the next AM and arrive at WDW around 1:30PM.

Deb & Bill said:
By the way, we usually leave after school and drive about 7 hours to Daphne (just east of Mobile on the bay) from Shreveport. We get there late (around midnight), but get up early the next AM and arrive at WDW around 1:30PM.

Not sure where you stay when your in Daphne, but we are getting a brand new LaQuinta Inn and Suites at the Malbis exit(by the new mall) just past the Daphne exit. Not sure if it will be open by January, but it might be an option at some point for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter