• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving to HHI...........

disney1474

DIS Veteran
Thinking of driving from CT to HHI. For those of you who have made this driving trip already, I'm looking for any tips, best route, hotel to stay at on the way down. Anything would be helpful! Also, how long is the drive?

I drove from Virginia, right outside of DC. It's very straight route down 95 south. The exit you get off takes you straight to the resort. It took about 11 hours.

We also drive from CT. We get on 95 and stay on 95, going through NY, over the George Washington Bridge and onto the New Jersey Turnpike. It isn't the prettiest route but it is the most direct. As long as you avoid rush hours the traffic isn't bad.

I can't recommend a hotel as we always drive straight through. It takes about 15 hours door to door.

Thinking of driving from CT to HHI. For those of you who have made this driving trip already, I'm looking for any tips, best route, hotel to stay at on the way down. Anything would be helpful! Also, how long is the drive?

Driven home from HH 2 years ago to maryland and we did it in11 hours. We drove it straight so can't help with that info. I would say if you want to stop maybe southern Virginia or north North Carolina. Have fun we love HH so enjoy.

We drove it last summer, 95 the whole way. It was fine except through Virginia. The traffic there was horrific. I know there is a route you can take to avoid that stretch right after D.C., maybe someone knows exactly what it is. We stopped for the night on the Virginia/north Carolina border on the way down. On the way home we made a slight detour and spent a couple of nights in Williamsburg.

We just drove home from HHI last Friday to central NJ. Took us 12.5 hours. We did drive through a very heavy rain in SC which slowed us down and also hit pockets of traffic. We left HHI at 10:30 a.m.

We drove down to WDW to begin our trip. Left NJ at 3:00 a.m. and drove straight through and made it there in 15hrs 15 min. I would leave early morning, you miss alot of traffic. From HHI to WDW is about 5hrs.

From central NJ we usually get to Baltimore in 2.5 hrs, DC in about 3.5 hrs. For us, leaving at 3:00a.m., we missed all the traffic in those areas.

Thanks for all your responses. We plan on leaving early in the morning on a Saturday. I assume this is better then leaving during the week so we don't hit any rush hour traffic. Agree??

The drive from I-95 to the island can sometimes be a pain too. Specially the bit that runs through Bluffton. It can be congested during the day (I am sure it's not as bad as Virginia, but, I am from Savannah and the worst traffic we get is folks trying to come into town in the morning and I don't have to fight that). Make sure you drive the speed limit in Bluffton. Small southern town, money tight...you get the picture.

Take exit 8 on to US 278 East. Once you cross over the bridge to HHI, get in the right hand straight lane and stay in the right lane (watch out for turning lanes). That will keep you off the toll road that won't take you to the resort anyway. Stay on 278 until King Neptune blvd. Take the right and look for the good King's statue. Take the right and the only left then cross the bridge to paradise!

We will be driving to HHI in November from NH, we are staying over a night in Williamsburg. Can't wait!

We drove last summer from Ocean County, NJ near I 195... We stopped in Florence, SC and then drove into HHI the next day. We did not want to get to The resort late in the day our first night....it is over 12 hours for us. We drove about 10 hours to Florence and then about 2 hours + the next day. We were to the resort by about 11:00am our room was ready we had lunch at the resort and then began a great vacation.

I would definitely stop for the night and get to resort early the next day.....good luck...have a great stay...:)

We drove from the ma/ri border straight through. Left at night and hit only about 30 minutes of traffic in NYC. Took 16 hours total and arrived one day before check in and stayed at the omni one mile away so we could drive over early to dvc in the morning. Google maps is your best friend to decide if it should be the gw or tappan zee. We did stay one night on the way home in Fredericksburg va.

We drove from the ma/ri border straight through. Left at night and hit only about 30 minutes of traffic in NYC. Took 16 hours total and arrived one day before check in and stayed at the omni one mile away so we could drive over early to dvc in the morning. Google maps is your best friend to decide if it should be the gw or tappan zee. We did stay one night on the way home in Fredericksburg va.

I-95

I live 1 mile from the GW...the bridge is fine, it is the approach (the cross bronx) that is the nightmare!

When I go to CT, I usually take the Tappan Zee (and the Merritt) until I have to get on 95 near new haven.

Also use Sigalert.com for traffic info.

Other than that I would use the bypass routes, particularly around DC.

I am driving to the world in december, and that's what i am doing. I-95 and using sigalert to see if i want to use the bypasses.

I drive t Hilton Head from Ct. it takes us 16 hours, but we drive over the TappenZ Bridge. It's a much nicer ride. You will want to start your drive at 2 am so you can get there before dark. There are no street lights on the island!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter