Driving to the Parks on Race Day

Lauri

DIS Veteran
I guess my question has two meanings, and I would like the answer to both. I'm doing the Princess Half and live about 35 minutes from the parks. Is driving to Epcot crazy that day? And what time should I aim to be there? I have seen people who are staying on preperty planning on leaving at 2:30 AM, and that scares me a little.

Also, for spectators, what time should they plan to arrive? Are the roads open for the general population after the race starts, or would my DH need to leave the house the same time I do? Thanks!

Popular question today....you may want to follow the Princess thread. These kind of questions come up often. So here is a map of road closures for last year's Princess Half Marathon. IF the course is similar to last year, you can use it as a guide.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...&ll=28.37932101419301,-81.54174451425526&z=14

You will be able to drive--but you will have to approach Epcot from World Drive (shown in blue on the map) instead of the usual Epcot Center Drive. As for timing, yeah, it's ugly, especially since the races now start at 5. I think aiming for 3:30 would be fine. (But that's me) Traffic can will back up, and you have to park, walk, go through security, etc.

As for spectators, if they only want to see you at the finish at Epcot, then they could wait and try to time it based on your projected start time/pace/finish time. Parking in Epcot is free before 6am (usually the time).

I live about 25 minutes from Epcot and drive by myself. Usually I leave between 2:45 and 3:15. I’ve previously gone to spectate a friend at the finish line and drove myself around 8 am (she was in the back of the pack). But if you want to spectate at MK or the TTC they need to come with you.

Thank you for the map. I would probably need to add about 10 minutes onto my time for World Drive; we had to go that way for a while about a year ago when they were working on Epcot Center Drive.
And not worried about paying for parking, as we are passholders. But he probably could just come for the finish of the race.

Thank you for the map. I would probably need to add about 10 minutes onto my time for World Drive; we had to go that way for a while about a year ago when they were working on Epcot Center Drive.
And not worried about paying for parking, as we are passholders. But he probably could just come for the finish of the race.
just note - that if your husband is coming to see you just at the finish, he will still have to park and go through Epcot security and then walk to the finish line. traffic will definitely be backed up at both the parking ticket booths and in the lines to actually park. I would add at least half an hour to when he wants to be at the finish line to make sure, depending on when you will finish - the later in the race, add more time as more people will be coming in. I usually tell my family to leave our house an hour before my finish time (we live about 25 minutes away), and i typically finish in the 2:30 ish time frame.

just note - that if your husband is coming to see you just at the finish, he will still have to park and go through Epcot security and then walk to the finish line. traffic will definitely be backed up at both the parking ticket booths and in the lines to actually park. I would add at least half an hour to when he wants to be at the finish line to make sure, depending on when you will finish - the later in the race, add more time as more people will be coming in. I usually tell my family to leave our house an hour before my finish time (we live about 25 minutes away), and i typically finish in the 2:30 ish time frame.
That's perfect. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter