Driving to Universal

MTCruiser

Mouseketeer
We'll be driving to Universal Studios form the Candy Cane Inn next month. What time do you think we should leave in the morning? I'm mostly concerned about traffic.

Thanks

weekend: drive should be OK any time, but shorter earlier in the morning

weekday: You'll be battling commuters all the way. This is simply a
tough drive. Assuming you have kids, you're not going to
be able to start early enough to beat the congestion.

I think we're going to change things around and drive on the weekend now.

thanks again

good choice. on the weekend it took us only a half hour to get to universal from the disney area, last week when we went on friday on a friday morning it took us over an hour.

... not attempting to hijack your thread, but I'm going to Universal Studios Hollywood in August. I can either go one full day or two half-days. What would you recommend among the following two items, and what strategy would you recommend?

Mid-August - Option #1
Sunday: 11:00 - 4:00ish
Monday: 9:00 - whenever we accomplish everything.

Mid-August - Option #2

Additionally, would anyone recommend a FOLP for August? Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

... not attempting to hijack your thread, but I'm going to Universal Studios Hollywood in August. I can either go one full day or two half-days. What would you recommend among the following two items, and what strategy would you recommend?

Mid-August - Option #1
Sunday: 11:00 - 4:00ish

Mid-August - Option #2

Additionally, would anyone recommend a FOLP for August? Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You just need one full day at Universal, heck you can practically do almost everything in a half day if you ask me.

Yes, I kinda gathered that from your other helpful posts. I'm just wondering if it might be nice to do two half-days, instead of just one day, and using the afternoon to tour Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica. It doesn't cost us anymore (other than parking) to have a two-day ticket, over a one-day ticket.

Additionally, if you were to do just one day, ist there any benefit to Monay over Sunday?

Yes, I kinda gathered that from your other helpful posts. I'm just wondering if it might be nice to do two half-days, instead of just one day, and using the afternoon to tour Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica. It doesn't cost us anymore (other than parking) to have a two-day ticket, over a one-day ticket.

Additionally, if you were to do just one day, ist there any benefit to Monay over Sunday?

Monday your looking at less crowds but more traffic then Sunday. Basically I would choose Monday but if the park opens up at 10am I would allow myself plenty of time to arrive before 10am.

good choice. on the weekend it took us only a half hour to get to universal from the disney area, last week when we went on friday on a friday morning it took us over an hour.

We're not used to heavy traffic so that drive was kinda scaring me.

thanks for the info

I'd try taking to 5 north to the 134 west, exit on Cahuenga, make a left on Cahuenga(going south) which will take to directly to the back entrance, rather than taking the 170.

Being a commuter here in LA I could tell you that traffic is a crap shoot.

it all depends on what time your leaving and what direction your heading.
If your heading towards downtown, your better off waiting until 10am

but if your not heading towards downtown your gonna be just fine.

the fact of the matter is, give yourself ample time. cause traffic can be just as bad on the weekend if there's road work being done.

Good luck

Rudy

LA does not have a true downtown that is the focus of commuter traffic. Lousy drives can be found anywhere on weekdays.

LA does not have a true downtown that is the focus of commuter traffic. Lousy drives can be found anywhere on weekdays.

This is true, there are so many Downtowns, (Century City, Wilshire etc.)
However if your planning on taking the 101 Fwy to get to universal, the 101 does go threw Downtown LA) just try to avoid the 101Fwy around 8-10am weekdays. weekends you should be fine.

Sorry, you're just plain wrong.

The 101 is absolute #$%@ for much longer than any so-called "rush hour".

Sorry, you're just plain wrong.

The 101 is absolute #$%@ for much longer than any so-called "rush hour".

I work right at the 101 and 110 Fwy's and take them atleast once week when I drive in from Lancaster. well maybe I'm just used to it. but after 10am during the week it lets up. I don't know about the weekends cause you figure you now have the Amusement park traffic at Lankershim.

Our experience last Saturday (June 14th) -- we left the Candy Cane Inn at Anaheim at 8:30 am, and it took almost 40 minutes to get to Universal. We left at 4:10 pm, and it took 65 minutes to get back. Glad I didn't try a weekday....

45 minutes weekend traffic, 1 hour 50 minutes weekday traffic.

This is exaggeration!
Weekend traffic can take as long as weekday traffic... it is all a crapshoot.
I have really found that traffic has been lighter lately because of a couple of reasons: (1) people are using more public transportation to get to work, and (2) school is out.

Just follow the advice of one of the earlier posters by taking the 5 north to the 134 (west/north), then getting off at Lankershim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter