• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dumb Ticket Question

ShelsGoingToDisney

DIS Veteran
I know this is probably going to sound like a really dumb question, but bear with me. I am used to going to Disneyworld with a magic band and I haven't been to Disneyland in several years.

I have my park hoppers purchased and attached to my Disneyland account and have all my park reservations made etc, but without having magic bands or cards sent to me, how the heck do I get in the gate? Do I print off my e-ticket and scan that at the entry for everything? Do I need to go to Guest Services (is there one outside the parks) and get cards for my tickets?

Also, if Genie+ starts before my trip how will that work without a magic band/card ticket? What do you scan to get through the lines? The last time I was at DL they still had the beloved paper fast passes! I used my magic band for Lightning Lanes at WDW in October.

Thank you! :)

Proceed directly to the gate and use the disney app for everything. They can scan your tickets from there, no need to print. Also, most people are saying the reservations are linked to your ticket, but if there are problems, the app will take you to the website with your reservations.

You will show your ticket barcode in the app at the turnstiles to be scanned. The turnstiles will then spit out a paper ticket for each eTicket. From that point forward you can either continue to use the app to scan in at the gates or scan the paper ticket.

Genie+ will be purchased in the app and likely you will also be able to use either the app or that paper ticket to scan in to Lightning Lanes.

Make sure you have the Disneyland App on your phone (and that it works). Check for an update before your trip. If your phone battery doesn't last long, have a charger with you as backup. Then play with the app to get used to how it works (and for what) so that you'll be comfortable with it before your trip. As pp have said, you will use your phone to scan your tickets at the gate and for Mobile Ordering and other things throughout your park day.

Okay good, knowing I will get the paper after scanning from the app. I keep my phone on airplane mode in order to be able to preserve the battery when I'm at the parks. I also really don't want to be having to scan my phone at every ride!

Yes, I have the app and I used it at WDW but the magic bands are SO much more convenient than using a phone, not to mention they don't have a battery that is dying fast in the park! For whatever reason, the WDW app is super glitchy on my iPhone. It will only work if I am connected to the Disney wi-fi and the Disney wi-fi sucks! I have trashed the app, re-downloaded... nothing fixes it. The rest of my family doesn't have this issue at all and can use the app through cell service etc. I am hoping I don't have the same issue with the DL app, but Disney IT is so horrible!

I wonder why DL never implemented the magic bands?

Thank you, everyone!

I wonder why DL never implemented the magic bands?

Thank you, everyone!
This has always been a big debate. I think part of it was that magic bands were tied to the advanced fast passes, which DLR didn't do. It's a different make-up of people (many more same-day, local visitors), and things aren't planned months in advance. It's seen as much less of a "destination" resort. But they installed card readers, which seems like just a small step away from MB.

And part of it really is that they function as two separate entities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter