DVC...a basic description?

Dman67

Local WDW Fan
My wife and I are trying to decide whether or not a DVC membership is a good idea for us. A thought occurred to me last night and I thought I'd get some reactions to it. The whole DVC thing is basically this...Disney basically says give me $20,000 (or so) and I'll give you a fully furnished apartment to stay at for one week a year for 30-40 years. This "apartment" is, of course, not your average apartment and thus they use the word "resort" instead. I've seen SSR and IMHO I thought it looked exactly like, for the most part, many of the luxury apartment complexes you find around Orlando. That's not to sound negative but that's basically the feeling I got from the place. What do most of you think to this basic assessment?

Others can speak for different resorts. We own at BWV and always get a 2BR. We look at it as having a 2BR at a luxury hotel on site with hotel services, within walking distance of two parks and over twenty restaurants, night life at our doorstep, and bartenders at the pool bar who know us by our first name everytime we show up for the first time on any trip (to my chagrin, we have to live with that last one).

To start, if you like to stay at deluxe resorts while at Disney, go as often as every other year, then yes, DVC is right for you. You will save some money (eventually) while having wonderful, relaxing vacations. It's not just $20,000 you are forking over, it's monthly dues and the cost of park tickets, plane tickets, spending money and food money while vactioning. You really need to look at your yearly vacation budget to see if it's afordable even after plunking down that 20 grand.

As I am sure you know, there are several other resorts besides SSR. So, if SSR is not your style, look around at the other resorts to see which fits your idea of "home". There is a favorite for everyone. The moto around here is, "Buy where you want to stay".

Is DVC right for you? Only you and your family can decide that. We of course can help and you came to the right place to get answers. You have the basic idea but there is lots more to the picture. Ask away--there are plenty of veterans around here who answered all my questions before we decided to buy.

Best of luck,
Blakely

"around Orlando" is what you get for "an Apartment" in Orlando......
DVC is on Disney property....You pay a premium for a premium property....
You get what you pay for....
I own a Marriott Grande Vista in Orlando....2 bedroom , platinum season, lock-off....retail from Marriott is about 16K give or take a few bucks....I bought it re-sale for $6500.00....just look at Marriott, Sheratons, etc. re-sale.....terrible....
Then look at DVC re-sale......That will tell you the value of DVC....Not that it may continue, but I have actually made money owning DVC..... I recently sold my OKW at $78.00 per point, I paid $59.00 for it 9 years ago....and used it for 9 years...where else can you do that w/ a timeshare?
OH, I only use the Marriott in Orlando as trade.

One thing about DVC that is different from some other timeshares - you are not buying a certain week at a certain place. You buy points and can be very flexible. You can stay 1 night, you can stay 10 (if you have enough points). You can stay at a DVC resort, you can trade out to a non-DVC resort (subject to availability).

To start, if you like to stay at deluxe resorts while at Disney, go as often as every other year, then yes, DVC is right for you. You will save some money (eventually) while having wonderful, relaxing vacations. It's not just $20,000 you are forking over, it's monthly dues and the cost of park tickets, plane tickets, spending money and food money while vactioning. You really need to look at your yearly vacation budget to see if it's afordable even after plunking down that 20 grand.

Best of luck,
Blakely

:rotfl2: Not sure about that one Blakely, I'm at Disney now more than ever! :yay: but what a way to go broke..
E

:rotfl2: Not sure about that one Blakely, I'm at Disney now more than ever! :yay: but what a way to go broke..
E

:confused3 We used to go to WDW every 3 to 5 years, now after 2 add-ons we go 3 or more times a year. Yea I'm saving a bundle! :rotfl:

I would say that basically if that is how you see DVC, then no DVC is not a good match for you. Possibly an offsite condo would suit you better.

I would say that basically if that is how you see DVC, then no DVC is not a good match for you. Possibly an offsite condo would suit you better.

If someone lives in Orlando, why would they want an off-site condo?

I agree, if staying on-site at WDW isn't that big of a deal, then I'd stick to the day visits from home.

Some of you are missing my point...I do live in Orlando and do enjoy staying on WDW property when we visit Disney. I just thought that SSR looked and felt an awful lot like a luxury apartment complex. I haven't visited the other DVC resorts and I am hoping to soon before the DW and I take the DVC plunge. We've stayed at Port Orleans and Animal Kingdom Lodge in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them because they felt like resorts to us. I just thought that SSR was a little disappointing.

Some of you are missing my point...I do live in Orlando and do enjoy staying on WDW property when we visit Disney. I just thought that SSR looked and felt an awful lot like a luxury apartment complex. I haven't visited the other DVC resorts and I am hoping to soon before the DW and I take the DVC plunge. We've stayed at Port Orleans and Animal Kingdom Lodge in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them because they felt like resorts to us. I just thought that SSR was a little disappointing.

Since you live in Orlando SSR is probably not really what you want IMO. Why not get some AKV points or try resale at one of the other Hotel type resorts BWV, BCV or VWL. Seems if I were staying that close to home Iwould want more Hotel amenities. You can drive to DTD anytime you want. Might even try HH or VB then you'll have a place at the beach and you can always trade in at 7 months for WDW resorts.

Since you live right there, I'd visit all the WDW DVC resorts and see which ones jump out at you. It seems like you are looking for something "different", and my guess is that VWL or AKV might fit your needs the best. They have strong theming that certainly isn't like anything else you'll find in the Orlando area.

Good luck! :)

What is "VWL"? Still trying to learn all of the abbreviations around here. ;)

Since you live in Orlando SSR is probably not really what you want IMO. Why not get some AKV points or try resale at one of the other Hotel type resorts BWV, BCV or VWL. Seems if I were staying that close to home Iwould want more Hotel amenities. You can drive to DTD anytime you want. Might even try HH or VB then you'll have a place at the beach and you can always trade in at 7 months for WDW resorts.

This is an excellent idea. The wife and I frequently do DTD just for a little get-away from the "rat-race". I'm definately looking for a DVC resort that gives me the maximum "escape" and a themed hotel my be the ticket. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter