DVC and Divorce, will either of us lose our blue card?

Can you call member administration to see how you can accomplish your goal?
(They are only available normal business hours. )

Something else to keep in mind-

DVC continues to tighten access to Membership Extras. For example:

TOTWL Wicked Wind Down - you must be staying on eligible points for the date of your reservation. So say you were staying at WDW on your AUL points, you could not book this.

A similar change was recently made to Moonlight Magic. You must be staying on eligible points to get first dibs, which has a MUCH greater chance than needing to wait for open entry which has about a 1% shot..

It’s not a big deal but I think they’ll continue in this direction. 75% of my points are direct and I’ve already gotten locked out of both because it just so happened the nights I wanted were using my resale points. DVD is definitely trying to make a greater distinction between what you can access with direct points over resale.

Depending how much this stuff matters to you, I’d take it into consideration. Think about it this way - The price you get reselling does not change depending on direct benefits (because benefits don’t transfer). But the cost for you to replace does come at a premium for direct. That would make me more inclined to prioritize keeping the direct points. I’d want to avoid a situation where I sold off some of my direct points, then later regretted the limits of benefits on my resale points and had to pay the direct premium again for what we wanted.

I know people say they’re not going to pay thousands extra over resale just for these perks. That’s fine and makes sense when not interested in this stuff. But if you already have it and think it could matter to you over the next decades, then keeping your direct/full use points will likely make a difference.

When did the rule change you have to be in eligible points for membership extras or moonlight magic?

You can no longer get early registration if you book a cash room through Disney, but I got into the Dec AKV with resale restricted RIv points.

Now I have heard about the special events at TOTWL being eligible but I have read others who had no problem.

When did the rule change you have to be in eligible points for membership extras or moonlight magic?

You can no longer get early registration if you book a cash room through Disney, but I got into the Dec AKV with resale restricted RIv points.

Now I have heard about the special events at TOTWL being eligible but I have read others who had no problem.
How would they deal w/ a case where, for example, moonlight magic fell on a night where the Riviera villa you reserved ‘cost’ 50 points that night & you ‘paid’ for it w/ 25 points from one of your direct contracts & 25 points from one of your ineligible resale contracts? Maybe you could get in, but would have to leave halfway through 😂.

For Wicked Wind Down the CM at Member Services was very helpful. We wanted to book for 5 of us. 3 of us were Blue Card staying half the trip on resale points, half the trip on rented points, and the other couple were using our Direct VGF points at SSR the whole time. They told us only the direct booking could make us eligible and since that couple was part of the reservation, MS allowed it but… also only allowed 4 people because that’s the studio occupancy. So MS coached us that if someone didn’t drink alcohol or were diabetic, that would be a way to get all 5 of us in on the WWD that only allowed 4. If we had only been using our resale points would not have been able to book at all. It does seem a bit strict and I think that’s why the CM guided us into making it work.

For Moonlight Magic DH called MS after getting through the first round but then getting a message the stay didn’t qualify, and they said that the date needed to be booked on our direct points. Maybe that was a miscommunication?

No, any resale contract purchased prior to April 2016 qualifies you for DVC-Y because every time DVC took away a benefit/perk they grandfathered in existing resale owners. I first bought resale in 2012/13(?) & have always been blue card/DVC-Y even though I didn’t buy direct until 2023.
In OP’s case, there are 2 contracts that would let her retain DVC-Y, one resale, the other direct:
8/2012 AKV 100 - because it was a resale purchase before 4/2016
5/2013 VGF 50 - because it was a direct contract before there were a minimum # of direct points required for DVC-Y.
Ironically OP couldn’t keep just one of the recent 2023 direct contracts & retain the DVC-Y status since the current direct point minimum is 150, so if they want to keep their DVC -Y they have to keep the grandfathered 2012 AKV resale, the 2013 grandfathered direct VGF, or keep both direct 2023 VDH contracts (75+75=150.)
Ah, I didn't understand, blue card and DVC-Y are the same thing.

For Wicked Wind Down the CM at Member Services was very helpful. We wanted to book for 5 of us. 3 of us were Blue Card staying half the trip on resale points, half the trip on rented points, and the other couple were using our Direct VGF points at SSR the whole time. They told us only the direct booking could make us eligible and since that couple was part of the reservation, MS allowed it but… also only allowed 4 people because that’s the studio occupancy. So MS coached us that if someone didn’t drink alcohol or were diabetic, that would be a way to get all 5 of us in on the WWD that only allowed 4. If we had only been using our resale points would not have been able to book at all. It does seem a bit strict and I think that’s why the CM guided us into making it work.

For Moonlight Magic DH called MS after getting through the first round but then getting a message the stay didn’t qualify, and they said that the date needed to be booked on our direct points. Maybe that was a miscommunication?

I do know that when we did wicked wind down all guests had to be in the same room as me, even though I had two rooms booked.

But, the points didn’t matter. I have heard rentals don’t count for TOTWL and MM.

For MM, plenty have gotten tickets on resale points.

I’m lost.

I have a resale membership -Feb UY- white card

I have two direct memberships - Apr UY - blue card.

If I’m staying completely on resale white card membership, I can’t use my blue card from the other membership to access TOTW?

I read the Member Extras page and it seems that assumption is correct because it says access is for direct members when using that membership.

That seems like a technical glitch to me. If you have direct and resale in one membership and stay on resale contract points, you would be eligible for membership extras.

Apologies if the conversation is straying too far from the original question. We have a single membership that is a mix of direct and resale points. We're staying on our resale points next month, and I was able to book Wicked Wind Down when calling DVC member services. Hopefully they don't turn us away when we check-in for WWD.

I know that WWD is meant for blue-cards, but didn't realize it might be so nuanced if you have multiple use years and you're staying on points from a resale only membership.

Apologies if the conversation is straying too far from the original question. We have a single membership that is a mix of direct and resale points. We're staying on our resale points next month, and I was able to book Wicked Wind Down when calling DVC member services. Hopefully they don't turn us away when we check-in for WWD.

I know that WWD is meant for blue-cards, but didn't realize it might be so nuanced if you have multiple use years and you're staying on points from a resale only membership.
Sorry, Mods, if we are digressing. It sounds like you’re ok. A single membership with a mix of resale and direct points should default to direct point allowing you to utilize ME. I am different with resale points in a different membership. I’m wondering if I go to TOTL for general access, if showing my DVC-Y card will grant me access. Wondering if I should try when I stay on the resale points.

OP - my opinion is to make a clean break now and put memberships in your name only. I think that’s what Suze Orman would suggest. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter