DVC exchange statistics for 1998 - 2013 info

Originally posted by ralphd
Dean,

Thanks for the update!

We have only exchanged once and that was to the Royal Garden Hotel in London. Received a telephone confirmation within 24 hours.
The hotel front desk personnel were very nice. They gave us a room at 9:00AM (think check-in was 4:00PM) and they gave us a free room upgrade. Our view from the room included Kensington Garden and to the side was Kensington Palace. The reservation included breakfast (food selection was good).

ralphd:D :D :D :D
Good choice, but everyone should know this is for a Concierge Collection Hotel, not an II exchange.

Originally posted by Dean
Good choice, but everyone should know this is for a Concierge Collection Hotel, not an II exchange.

That's a good point- DVC has a very different relationship with the Concierge Collection. Those hotels/resorts have everything to gain by treating DVC members well (we may well decide to come back another time or they may be able to fill our room by putting us in a more expensive room they can't fill). II resorts have little to gain- and that system is even set up not to promote any favoritism- since all we are doing exchanging some days at our resort for the same number of days.

Even though Concierge collection has a better relationship, I suspect that revenue enhancement also plays a roll for them to upgrade us. Last minute purchases of rooms are probably going to be standard rooms, not upgraded ones, so moving us up increases the likelihood for more room revenue.

Originally posted by JimC
Even though Concierge collection has a better relationship, I suspect that revenue enhancement also plays a roll for them to upgrade us. Last minute purchases of rooms are probably going to be standard rooms, not upgraded ones, so moving us up increases the likelihood for more room revenue.
I don't think it's better, just different. Timeshare are all over the place as to how they treat exchangers, DVC or otherwise. Some resorts give exchangers the equivilent of the dumpster view as a routine. Others give them the view or exact unit given up depending on whether it's a fixed unit or floating unit. Some charge exchangers extra, DVC does this. This might include paying for parking, AC use or even a mandatory all inclusive fee in some cases. The possibilities are almost endless.

It actually starts before the week is ever given to II (or RCI). In many cases the resort controls which week is and is not given to II and at times even when it is given, again DVC comes to mind (though it has no impact with search first). DVC does this and it likely affects trade power slightly though not as much as some other resorts where there is not a generic corporate membership.

I updated my post of 06-24-2004 08:56 PM with th Cordial and Club Intrawest info.

Dean said:
I wanted to post the additional info I got from this years II and BVTC audit. Here’s the points exchange grid:
  1. Studio - 106 Low/123 Mid/134 High
  2. 1 BR - 124 Low/144 Mid/160 High
  3. 2 BR - 207 Low/252 Mid/270 High
  4. 3 BR - 276 Low/317 Mid/349 High

Interval International exchanges

• 2001 - 1141 exchanges, 241 pending and 53.6% success rate. 1.9% of members had exchanged during 2001. 332 properties were listed with II during
  • 2001 and at that time there were 60,251 members.
  • 2002 - 1396 exchanges and 277 pending exchanges for a success rate of 74.6%. There 336 II exchange options (# of resorts) and 68,875 members. Overall 2% of members exchanged.
  • 2003 - 2088 exchanges and 446 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 79% (exchanges/requests). There were 375 II exchange options and 74,860 members during 2003.
  • 2004 - 2376 exchanges, 586 pending and 89.3% success rate. 2.8% of members had exchanged during 2004. 432 properties were listed with II during 2004 and at that time there were 85,017 members.

Club Cordial

Reservations for Cordial are made by paper, so takes a few days. They can be made up to 10 months and 7 days out. If you want to schedule more than one, you have separate $75 fees.
  • 2001 - 35 exchanges with 7 pending with a success rate of 30.7%.
  • 2002 – 33 exchanges with 12 pending with a success rate of 31.1%.
  • 2003 - 21 exchanges and 6 pending exchanges (owed to DVC members). This was an exchange success rate of 47.7% (exchanges/requests)
  • 2004 - 53 exchanges and 14 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 71.6%

Club Intrawest

For Club Intrawest it's 7 months and 7 days for 6 days or longer (but can't be 7 days) and 4 months 7 days our for stays less than 6 days. And given CI system, that means the chances of getting something good like Xmas or Easter Whistler or Xmas HI is essentially zero.

• 2001 - 39 exchanges, 8 pending and 27.9% for last year.
  • 2002 - 48 exchanges and 3 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 38.4% (exchanges/requests).
  • 2003 - 111 exchanges and 30 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 57.7%
  • 2004 - 179 exchanges and 33 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 59.3%

Editorial 7/21/05 – While the numbers are similar to last year it appears that more were successful or at least less unsuccessful tries this past year. This is likely do to the non refundable fee with those that are mostly window shopping not participating plus maybe a few more choices enticing some that might not have jumped in.
Just to bump this since I've edited the first post to include all the pertinent available info in the OP from 2001 through 2004.

i was going back through some paperwork from when I originally joined. It is interesting that the RCI exchanges in 1992 & 1993 accounted for 2.09% & 2.47%, not that much different than today's exchanges. So even in the first couple of years DVC members exchanged as much as now, that surprised me. BTW, there were a total of 3688 members in 1992 & 8147 in 1993. Essentially 100% were matched though I guess we need to remember that the procedure at that time was to deposit first. It's also interesting that the BVTC included Vacation Club Internationale and HGVC during 1993 in addition to Club Cordial.

I added the info through Dec, 05 just released earlier this month. No real surprises from last year other than a slide in the BVTC exchanges.

Just want to say: Dean you ROCK! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for all the posts.

thanks very interesting anyone know how many members we have now?
I didn't know at that point other than the numbers at the end of 2005 which were in my edited OP. At the end of 2006 it's 110K.

I just added the 2006 info and corrected a couple of typo's from last year. No real surprises.

Dean, I'll apologize in advance because you have probably "covered" this same ground many times in previous posts, but what are your thoughts about an explanation for the increase in the II exchange success rate between 2001 and 2006?

Thanks Dean,

You are so kind to publish this! Very interesting stats for a math geek like me.

From reading your posts you seem to be a very experienced Time Share user/owner. It is great of you to share your knowledge!

Poohmom :hippie:

Thanks for taking the time to compile and on going list of external DVC trades. Its good to see the success rate increase throughout the years. I am assuming it is related to the increase in options that we can trade into via II or the other systems.

Where does 3% rank in the timeshare world for owners to trade out of the system? 3% seems to indicate a pretty loyal following, but I'm sure that number is held low by members renting/lending out thier points to family and friends instead of trading. I'm sure that banking points not being used also helps in not trading out.

I just added the 2006 info and corrected a couple of typo's from last year. No real surprises.

Dean thanks for the post I find the stats interesting and appreciate you including the other programs data for comparison

Wonderful information on this thread! Thank you for sharing. We have no plans to exchange anytime in the near future but may want to try it eventually.

First, I've gone back and added any additional info I had which includes some 19922 & 1993 info as well as most of the 1998-2000 info.

Dean, I'll apologize in advance because you have probably "covered" this same ground many times in previous posts, but what are your thoughts about an explanation for the increase in the II exchange success rate between 2001 and 2006?
Actually if you go back to the early days when DVC was with RCI the success rates and percent of owners exchanging was more in line with where they are now from the limited info I've seen. Realize that what I'll say now is simply my interpretation of the information available. Remember that DVC changed the rules fairly early in 2002 from a system that was hard to understand to the current one where you MOSTLY know how many points it'll cost when you exchange. This spurred an increased in exchanges. The members simply did not understand the old system and thus many shied away from it. The old system was better in many ways though IMO. If members used the current system correctly and appropriately, I'd think that the success rate should exceed 95%. Remember that the definition of a successful exchange is that you accepted something, not that you go what you wanted. I assume that canceled exchanges are not counted in the denominator but they should be in most cases I feel. So the real question to me is why was it so low before, my guess is a combo of lack of planning ahead and trying for the pie in the sky matches.

Thanks for taking the time to compile and on going list of external DVC trades. Its good to see the success rate increase throughout the years. I am assuming it is related to the increase in options that we can trade into via II or the other systems.

Where does 3% rank in the timeshare world for owners to trade out of the system? 3% seems to indicate a pretty loyal following, but I'm sure that number is held low by members renting/lending out thier points to family and friends instead of trading. I'm sure that banking points not being used also helps in not trading out.
See above for the first question. I'm afraid I don't have a lot of info on how members at other resorts fare in these terms. The limited info I have suggests that DVC members tend to exchange less than most any other group though any high quality resort during a high season tends to have a lot of "loyalty" as well. The numbers are comparable with the Marriott's on HH for summer from what I've seen. If you get to somewhere that requires major air like Aruba, MX or HI; the % of owners using their weeks drops off from what I've seen. I've seen numbers for HI that suggest that only about 50% of owners use their week (including private rentals) but that's very limited info. Most states don't require the audit info that FL does, I wonder if any of the others on this board that own in FL have the audit info. I'd be especially interested in the Orlando Marriott's though I know that they would have a MUCH higher rate of exchange for a number of reasons.

The real question to me is how successful are non DVC members when they attempt to exchange and my guess is it depends on how far out they plan and how realistic they are in their requests.

...I'd be especially interested in the Orlando Marriott's though I know that they would have a MUCH higher rate of exchange for a number of reasons...

A sister-in-law owns 2 weeks at 2 different Marriotts in Orlando. I'll ask her if she has any info to share about Orlando Marriott exchange stats.

A sister-in-law owns 2 weeks at 2 different Marriotts in Orlando. I'll ask her if she has any info to share about Orlando Marriott exchange stats.
She'd likely have to ask Marriott to send her the documents if she were so inclined.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter