DVC retirement planning

tvwalsh

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I have 500 points that I plan to use almost every year to stay at OKW for the better part (actually. when you live in the North, the worst part) of January or February.

Do you have answers to any of these questions?:

How many points do you want to have by the time you retire?

How do you plan on using your points?

At which resort(s) do you plan on staying?

Which resorts are best for seniors? Why?

How else might DVC fit into your retirement plans?

I can't say how many points we hope to have at retirement, except to say-"as many as possible". I'd love to be able to split our time between HH and OKW, spending as much time as possible at each resort. Someone on the boards here once said, and I strongly agree, that they look at buying into DVC as an investment in their retirement. By purchasing now, by the time we can retire (10 years at least), we'll only be paying dues every year for vacation. We have 275 points now (financed 250 of those), so we're paying more now. And I'd love to spend holidays at DVC resorts. Oh, yes-HH and OKW figure strongly into our retirement plans!

I have 770 points. I am hoping if I rent a studio at OKW and checkout on weekends, that I might be able to spend a good part of the winter there in my retirement years, lol. Of course, one can never have enough points, hehehe.

I'm still 20 years from retirement so retirement vacation planning isn't a big priority yet.

We've got 2DS and two contracts (BWV and VWL), and plan to give each a contract to continue our family traditions with their families. It'll be interesting trying to figure out who gets BWV and who gets VWL. :p

We're pretty close to retirement age, (5 years) and I'm looking forward to our first trip to Vero. I love the ocean, and we've thought of moving to Florida when we retire. If I can get my "ocean viewing fix" at Vero Beach, then living very close to either coast wouldn't be as important to us when we do move to Florida. We could "vacation" there without air travel costs and without much driving. So, our Vero trip will be another step towards planning our retirement move. We've checked out Marco Island, Ft. Meyers, Tarpon Springs, Winter Park and Key West, so far. We will probably keep our Cape May NJ home as well.

I AM retired (I was fortunate to work for a company that provided retirement at 50 with 10 years service) and just bought DVC.

Since I haven't stayed there yet - not sure what this will do to my retirement plans.

I've spent most of my adult years in Texas or CA so haven't given much weight to the escape winter school of thought. I picked Arkansas to retire to because my 83 year old father is here.

We have 600 pts split evenly between OKW and VB. If we don't move to Florida first (4 years to retirement) we plan on staying at OKW for January and some of Feb.
bek055.gif

And with banking and borrowing we would have access 1200 pts every other year.

P.S. I am sure the posters below in the "Top 20" will have no problem in retirement.:p

"Top 20 DVC posters"

1.Debbie H-"2000 pts"
2.Katzha-1660
3.Icy Dog- 1252
4.sanddune-1236
5.Poorman-1220
6.BEIRMUGG-1200
7.wdw1972-1150
8.PKK/MJK- 1110
9.Mastre Gracey-1100
10.DBBN-1075
11.Terry S- 1000
12.Laurabearz-1000
13.Jetman-910
14.Dean-885
15.goofyforwdw-850
16.DVC Lady-844
17.Candace-835
18.Edith-825
19.Johnnie Fedora-825
20.mrsdon-770

I can't say how many points we will have at retirement, but I can tell you how many I want! I would love to have enough points to stay all of January and part of February at OKW! Kind of a dream of mine. I might have to settle for a Celebration apartment instead!;)

You know, the first time we were going home after we bought, we had stayed in...Port Orleans I think...for the first 3 days of that vacation and were moving to OKW for day 4-10. We called bell Services to come and transfer ourluggage. When the bellman came,he was telling us about his parents, who had purchased enough DVC points(with his CM discount)to stay for January,February, and March!!!!!!!!They lived in Ohio, and they spent on points what it would have cost them to purchase a home or condo down there. The beauty of it was that they came and stayed for 3 months in these beautiful accomodations, and when they left, they were responsible for nothing. They didn't have to have someone watch a house or condo, check on it etc. They just turned the key in the door and walked away. They were away from Ohio during the worst of their winter, and close to their son, who lived and worked in the Orlando area.

That is my dream.

We plan to spend Xmas and New Year with family up north then move to our "Home Away from Home" until Easter whenever that is. We currently have OKW 635 and BWV 450 with an eye to add on over the next couple of years. The idea of T+T every 4th day and a full cleaning every 8th day only adds to the lure of WDW retirement. We are about 5 years away. My problem is : How do you book a three month stay? day by day for three months or in big blocks at 11 months?

Originally posted by Nanajo1
We currently have OKW 635 and BWV 450 with an eye to add on over the next couple of years.

Congratulations Nanjo1 on making the "Top 10" of the" Top 20";)

Top 20 DVC posters"

1.Debbie H-"2000 pts"
2.Katzha-1660
3.Icy Dog- 1252
4.sanddune-1236
5.Poorman-1220
6.BEIRMUGG-1200
7.wdw1972-1150
8.PKK/MJK- 1110
9.Mastre Gracey-1100
10.Nanjo1-1085
11.DBBN-1075
12.Terry S- 1000
13.Laurabearz-1000
14.Jetman-910
15.Dean-885
16.goofyforwdw-850
17.DVC Lady-844
18.Candace-835
19.Edith-825
20.Johnnie Fedora-825

My wife and I currently have 300 points at BCV. Retirement is 3 to 4 years away, and we'd love to add another contract, maybe Saratoga Springs. I don't know that we'd go to WDW for weeks at a time, but certainly wish to make frquent trips interspersed with other travel

THAT'S WHY DISNEY WON'T ALLOW US TO HOLD ONLY 5000PTS.

Little over 10 years away from retirement but can't wait to use our points over the winter. 370 OKW, 355 HH, 200 BCV & 75 VB =1000

OK, this question got me thinking and planning again. Found out that a 1 BR at OKW in January costs about 645 points for the month. So I told DH at supper time that we "needed" that many points when we retire. Don't think he's stopped laughing yet. Remember, this is someone who thinks the 275 points we have now are more than enough! But I think this is a serious issue. Good thing I have at least 10 years to work on him and convince him of the necessity of it.

When I told DH that we were in the top 20 he pointed out that I forgot to include a 50 point OKW add on that has a different UY than the others. I do tend to forget about it so I may sell it and get one with the same UY. But small resale contracts are hard to find.
So our total is OKW 685, BWV 450.

I was searching for a thread on this topic and came across this old one. Is anyone snow birding on their DVC points? How many points to make it happen? where are you spending your time?

We just got back from a February trip to 16 degree temps in good ole NYS! ...which lead me to day dreaming about a month each year away from this snow!!

Thoughts?
Aimee

I was searching for a thread on this topic and came across this old one. Is anyone snow birding on their DVC points? How many points to make it happen? where are you spending your time?

We just got back from a February trip to 16 degree temps in good ole NYS! ...which lead me to day dreaming about a month each year away from this snow!!

Thoughts?
Aimee

Sounds like you may want to take a trip over to the 1,000 plus points club thread! :rotfl2:

How many points do you want to have by the time you retire? @500

How do you plan on using your points? Want to get to a point where I have enough points to go once a month for 2 - 5 nights. Also, used our direct purchased points DCLs

At which resort(s) do you plan on staying? All

Which resorts are best for seniors? SSR-TH, OKW, SSR, VB Why? Due to less walking from the car to the resort/room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter