early flight home question

sandee

Mouseketeer
We can save a lot of money if we catch an 11:30 a.m. flight home after our cruise. Has anyone caught a flight this early? How long does it take to drive to MCO from the port? Thanks for help. We were thinking about taking limo round trip from the airport.

sandee,

We sailed on 11/24, returning to Port Canaveral on 12/1. We were off the ship about 8:30 (They want everybody off by 9:00).
We took the Disney transportation to MCO and were checked in and sitting in the airport by 10:00. The bus ride was about 55 minutes. Some clients of ours were booked on a 1:30 Delta flight but were able to get stand-by on a 10:45 flight.

So.... You can make an 11:30 flight if everything goes as planned. I would plan to get off the ship as early as possible to same some more time...

mac_tlc

I'd agree with what mac_tlc said. On both of our cruises, we were through security at MCO by 9:45-10:00am. We took the DCL buses both times. We usually got off the ship at about 7:45.
(by the way mac_tlc, we probably passed you between port and airport, as we sailed 12/1...)

BUT.....

On occasion, the ship is late getting back into Port Canaveral. Once due to a medical emergency, the ship didn't leave Castaway Cay until about 9:00pm, and thus was about 3 hours late getting back into port. I think recently one of the ships stayed with a small craft in distress until the Coast Guard arrived. If something like this happens, you'll most likely miss your flight. It's very unlikely, maybe a 1 in 10 chance, but keep in mind that it is a possibility. You have to weigh the savings you'd get vs. the potential hassle you'll have if the ship is late and you miss your flight.

This is one of the reasons I book air through the cruise line. If the ship is late, they will take care of re-booking your flight, and it doesn't cost you anything. If you booked your own air, then you're on your own. I just think of the extra cost as being spent on peace of mind.

Senor,

We were the ones in the airport with the long, sad faces.. You probably had the wide, wide smiles!!!!! We did see some of those!!!

mac_tlc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter