Early plane boarding

Figmificent

Mouseketeer
Hey all! This will be the first time I’m flying with invisible illness. I will need to preboard the flights we are taking. I’m anxious because the one time I was traveling while injured with my very obvious cane and snails pace walking the gate agent asked me why I needed to board early. Is this something I can look forward to at every flight? It was very public and would make me very uncomfortable so I’m looking for ways to not have to have a loud airport public disclosure of my health information. Thanks!

In general they tend to ask early because they want to make sure you don’t need additional assistance aka a wheelchair.

That being said I’ve had at least one experience with the airline I was on trying to gatekeep. Though I partly blame it on myself not being able to articulate clearly and them being pushier then normal.

TBC that was just one experience.

Usually gate agents tend to ask if you need the additional assistance. And leave it at that. Unfortunately there is always going to be a public aspect of it. Because of where your asking and all that.

Most of the time they announce pre-boarding and anybody that needs that can take advantage of it without having to disclose the reason. Now if you need assistance with a wheelchair to board, you may want to ask the gate agent ahead of the boarding call for that assistance. This time of year medical pre-boarding and families with young children preboarding is very common and the general traveling population gives it no second thought.

What airline are you flying?

If SWA you need a preboarding pass unless you're using a wheelchair (wheelchairs automatically preboard). Just go to the SWA desk after you clear security to get a pre-boarding pass and have the ability to talk to the agent more privately.

Not sure how this works on other airlines but I would check at the desk rather than waiting until boarding starts and see if you qualify and what the process is. Again, this will be more private than asking when the gate agent starts boarding.

All that you should have to say is that you need to preboard for medical reasons and that you do not need wheelchair assistance. They are not really supposed to ask you your medical conditions.

I recently flew on American Airlines. i had put in for wheelchair assistance. Flight leaving, first I was told I would have to wait 30 for the assistance, the a wheelchair push decide to take me instead of waiting for person he was supposed to be taking, only issue was he left me at the gate and then gate was changed to one not close by.
we got to the new gate, they announced the names of the people on the preboarding. I had no problems boarding early with my family. I though they might have to wait for their group.

OP, you may find these resources from the US Department of Transportation helpful: https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/preboarding-notice-final and https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/Preboarding Notice Final_0.pdf and https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/traveling-disability

From the PDF in particular note (bold added for emphasis):

In the revised final rule published on May 13, 2008, the Department expanded the preboarding
requirement to cover not only people who need a specific seat assignment or who need to stow
their personal folding wheelchairs, but also to cover passengers that “need additional time or
assistance to board, stow accessibility equipment, or be seated.” For a passenger to be entitled to
preboarding, that passenger must self-identify at the gate as being a person with a disability that
needs to preboard for one of the above-listed reasons
. In the section-by-section analysis of the
preamble to the final rule, the Department noted that the obligation to preboard passengers with
disabilities “exists regardless of the carriers’ preboarding policies for other persons (e.g., families
with small children).”

Once I am seated at the gate area, I pay attention to the counter area for that gate [we usually get to the gate before the gate is staffed]. Once the airline staff arrive to start working the flight and appear to have logged into their computers and settled, I go over to the desk and tell them who I am, that I am on that flight and that I will need to preboard due to a disability because it will take me more time to board and be seated. I ask if I need to sit anywhere in particular while waiting. I ask how I will know it is time to pre-board and when they expect pre-boarding to start. I do not tell them the specific disabilities as they don't need to know. Often they will ask if I need assistance with boarding and I will tell them no, I am ok on my own, it just takes more time. Sometimes they will ask me to sit in specific seats in the waiting area, other times they don't. Sometimes they will say they will come and get me to pre-board but usually they just say there will be an announcement when pre-boarding starts. I always try to sit facing the gate and desk so I can see when they are getting ready for preboarding.

SW

I just called AA about this. I wasn’t sure what if any accommodations are available for those with cognitive disabilities. I have visions of angry Christmas crowds behind one of our very slow moving adult children who don’t look “disabled”.

AA said to just talk to the gate agent and let them know my concern.

Hey all! This will be the first time I’m flying with invisible illness. I will need to preboard the flights we are taking. I’m anxious because the one time I was traveling while injured with my very obvious cane and snails pace walking the gate agent asked me why I needed to board early. Is this something I can look forward to at every flight? It was very public and would make me very uncomfortable so I’m looking for ways to not have to have a loud airport public disclosure of my health information. Thanks!

This blogger, John Morris, has a ton of info about the rights of disabled passengers.
He also gives examples of how you can assertively let the gate agents know your needs— but without needing to announce anything to everyone else in the gate area.
His personal experience involves flying with a powerchair… but the information applies to any traveler, regardless of mobility equipment or specific disability.

I thought I understood what I was doing as a frequent traveler — but reading thru his website, I learned many new tidbits, that will ultimately help me have an even smoother experience in the future.

Wheelchair Travel Blog by John Morris

Hth. :thumbsup2

I always carry a letter from my doctor stating what my illness is and that I will need to pre-board. I travel frequently and have never had a single question from the gate agent when I showed my medical letter. My illness is also not readily visible but the chemo can make me very ill and unable to stand in a crowd. If I am feeling even slightly well, I just board as a regular passenger with my assigned group.

Last edited:
Wow I have never had a problem pre boarding it makes me wonder if I am just lucky or my disability shows more then I realize because I am always expected to pre board the one time I did not they called my name before they started general boarding

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter