Early vs Late Dining

Samsma

DIS Veteran
I have a while to decide, but currently am at 1st seating. I will have a 4, almost 5 yr. old, and a 10 almost 11 year old with me. We live in central time, so it would be an hour earlier for us to eat anyway. Would we be better off with late seating? Why or why not. Thanks!!!

I tried early seating for the first time on our last cruise and we didn't like it. We felt we have to 'rush' the kids to get ready for dinner when they were in the middle of having 'fun' at the pool or whatever.

With late seating, we would go to the show dressed 'as is', and then after the show we had about 45 minutes we could go back to the room and get ready. For now on we are doing late seating.

Of course, you may want to get pizza or a burger to help the kids hold over until dinner if they get hungry early. To be honest, after the first day, I don't remember ever feeling hungry. Room service is also great. Since we were 'early' seating this time, we would call room service for a snack every night (room service is free, but we always gave the CM a tip). The cheese tray is great (but never enough crackers, someone said they asked for extra crackers and next time I will do that). Their PB & J was the BEST PB & J I ever had in my life!

So you have lots of options for food all day long. I just didn't like feeling 'rushed' to get ready for the evening when we had early seating. But I should mention that my DDs are 9 (twins), but our first cruise we did late seating and they turned 7 on the ship.

You will have a great time no matter what! It is the BEST vacation ever!
Debra

We always choose late dining for the same reasons...we hate being rushed. We have been on DCL numerous times so on some days we don't even go to the show and just hang out by the pool or hot tub for an extra hour. It is great because there is hardly anyone around!!!

MJ

I'll put a plug in for early. Most of the interesting night time kids activities start after eight. Check out the kids navigators for what would interest your children. Early lets us enjoy some nighttime without the DS and get a fairly early start the next day. I also don't think my DS could wait till after 8 to eat dinner. I realize there are plenty of food options, but some of the night time dinners were very entertaining.

we had early and with a 3 yr old, 7 yr old and 9 yr old it was great for us. We would take them to dinner and then we had the whole night so if they got tired we could put them to bed and not have to wait for room service or another option. We also liked the early because for instance the day of Disney Dreams they were also playing the Santa Clause 2 and we had dinner so we went to the matinee of DD, then to dinner and then to the movie. This was the ONLY time the movie was playing that wasnt during a tour time or late at night so for us it was a great option so that we could do all 3 things. It seemed alot of times this happened to us even on a 4 night cruise. Some people didnt like the early breakfast the last day but we loved it since we were going back to WDW after the cruise we got up, went to breakfast about 7 or so, ate and then walked off the ship and were in WDW at 10am. It was great for us. Our 3 year old got so tired that he would sleep during our dinner and then as we ate dessert he would wake up and the servers would give him a "to go plate" which he would eat in his stroller while we went somewhere else!
I dont think we could tolerate late seating until our kids are teens and then I KNOW we will be going late! LOL
Heidi

Typically my familyl does early dining. My ten year old is just so active on vacation, and i think also the fresh air just poops him out, and so we go with early dining. We usually eat dinner no later than 6 p.m. when we are home.

Now, five cruises later, we are going to try late seating, and i am hoping that he will be able to stay awake and make it through dinner.

We just got off the Wonder yesterday and we had early seating. We did always feel rushed to get dressed and also, the last day of the cruise early seating guests had to be to breakfast at 6:45am! Yawn! That was tough! They make you take all your carry ons with you to breakfast, so you better be ready! We were off the ship by 8:00!

We cruised in June 2001 when my kids were 9 & 11 and are cruising again this June when they will be 11 & 13. We had early dinner the first cruise and will do the same this June. We normally eat at 6 pm at home. Yes, we did feel a bit rushed some nights, but dinner normally took us 1 1/2 hours to eat on the ship, so we were not done til 7:30. Then the kids were then off to their clubs and to meet up with their friends. For us, sitting down to dinner at 8:30 and being there till close to 10 pm would just not work...I am sure there are "different strokes for different folks", but this is just our experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter