Easier to add or remove a person?

Karin1984

DIS Veteran
I have booked myself a solo trip on the Panama Canal for March 2022. I'm excited to have something to look forward to and tick New Orleans and the Panama Canal off my bucket list.
Now my Disney buddy, who is not really into cruising, might or might not want to join, which I am totally fine with, I will enjoy this cruise as a solo or with her.
She has never cruised with Disney and she can't really picture what it's like and 2 weeks sound long to her. Plus with her work, it's hard to plan things this far in advance.

What should I do, add her now and remove her again if she can't / don't want to join?
Or wait till she knows what she wants?

I have never done this, I think I have read before adding people can be difficult depending on the configuration of the room. On the other hand, is that still the case when you go from 1 to 2 people in a room? Each room has a bed and a pull-out sofa, right?

I think it's the same rate regardless if its one or two people. So if she later finds out you she can't go, I think you could modify her name and put some one else. It matter's if you are adding a third person since the rate would be whatever it would be on the date you added them.

The general thought is that it's easier to remove someone before PIF than to add them. For some cruises where many of the rooms are at capacity, you may not be able to add a person due to lack of lifeboat space or the kids club is full for that age group (if you're adding a child.). For the panama canal, while all the rooms will be occupied, there aren't many that are at capacity due to fewer children on board. Also, if you add someone after the rate increases, they'll be charged that current rate, it's better to lock them in at a lower rate.

However, if you are doing a restricted rate room (*GT,), you can't make any changes to the reservation--no adding/removing/changing the occupants.

I have booked myself a solo trip on the Panama Canal for March 2022. I'm excited to have something to look forward to and tick New Orleans and the Panama Canal off my bucket list.
Now my Disney buddy, who is not really into cruising, might or might not want to join, which I am totally fine with, I will enjoy this cruise as a solo or with her.
She has never cruised with Disney and she can't really picture what it's like and 2 weeks sound long to her. Plus with her work, it's hard to plan things this far in advance.

What should I do, add her now and remove her again if she can't / don't want to join?
Or wait till she knows what she wants?

I have never done this, I think I have read before adding people can be difficult depending on the configuration of the room. On the other hand, is that still the case when you go from 1 to 2 people in a room? Each room has a bed and a pull-out sofa, right?
If you want to add a person to a reservation DCL asks 3 questions:
1) Is there space in the room? (Can't put 4 people in a 3 person room)
2) is there space in the lifeboat for that room? (A lifeboat may be full, even if there is space in the room, due to other rooms assigned to that lifeboat being at maximum capacity.)
3) Is there space in the appropriate kids' club? (if applicable).

If the answer is "no" to any of these questions, you cannot add another person to the reservation.

Also, be aware, the newly added person will be paying the cost that 3rd (or 4th) person pays at the current pricing, not the cost they would have been had they been on the original reservation.

It's generally a good idea to put all possible passengers on the reservation from the beginning, and cancel (before PIF date) anyone who won't be going. That way you pay the lowest price for them, and are guaranteed there is space in the room/lifeboat/clubs.

Thanks everyone!
I've just called with DCL and added her to the reservation. The only hiccup is that I had already switched myself to early dining, and he had to waitlist my friend. He said it wouldn't be a problem as I am already confirmed for the 1st sitting.
I am not set on early dining, but it's easier to change to late dining than the other way around.
I can remove her till PIF date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter