Easter Dinner

tinkerbellandpeterpan

DIS Veteran
I don't think this has been posted yet, but please let me know if I'm wrong. We are going to my mom's house. It is 50/50 if my dad will be out of rehab, but he's been doing well with his physical therapy so we shall see. We will have spiral ham. I'll make sweet potato casserole. My brother is making a pasta dish (as he and his wife don't love ham). My mom is making some green vegetable. I'm grabbing an ice cream cake and will probably pick up some bread unless my brother decides to bake some. We are keeping it simple this year as it's been a rough month and we don't know if my dad will be there or not.

Aww that sounds like a lovely dinner, I just love sweet potato casserole. I hope your dad is able to be home to celebrate Easter with you and your family.

I'm planning on making Pizza Rustica, a lasagne, some braciole, some meatballs & sweet Grain Pie. When I was a kid we'd have the ham and all too but I think it's way too much food to do both sine the family is much smaller now and the family keeps voting lasagne.

Aww that sounds like a lovely dinner, I just love sweet potato casserole. I hope your dad is able to be home to celebrate Easter with you and your family.

I'm planning on making Pizza Rustica, a lasagne, some braciole, some meatballs & sweet Grain Pie. When I was a kid we'd have the ham and all too but I think it's way too much food to do both sine the family is much smaller now and the family keeps voting lasagne.
What is sweet grain pie? That's something I've never heard of before. I'm always interested in learning about new food!

ETA: Thank you for the kind word about my dad. We appreciate any positive thoughts or prayers.

I don't think this has been posted yet, but please let me know if I'm wrong. We are going to my mom's house. It is 50/50 if my dad will be out of rehab, but he's been doing well with his physical therapy so we shall see. We will have spiral ham. I'll make sweet potato casserole. My brother is making a pasta dish (as he and his wife don't love ham). My mom is making some green vegetable. I'm grabbing an ice cream cake and will probably pick up some bread unless my brother decides to bake some. We are keeping it simple this year as it's been a rough month and we don't know if my dad will be there or not.
Your Easter meal plan sounds perfectly delicious! We find that simpler meals are often so much more enjoyable.
Sending prayers for your dad. 🙏🏻

What is sweet grain pie? That's something I've never heard of before. I'm always interested in learning about new food!

ETA: Thank you for the kind word about my dad. We appreciate any positive thoughts or prayers.
It is delicious, I'd say it is very similar to a dense very tasty rice pudding but my family makes it with canned wheat and citron in a pie. I did try to make fresh without the canned once and it was a terrible failure. The crust is like a giant cookie. It can all be made a day before and left separate in the fridge but don't pour into the crust and bake until the day you want it, the crunchiness from same day sends it :)
Recipes from my grandmother's Talisman Cookbook
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 9.33.48 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 9.36.24 AM.png

I think any Holiday meal can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it. Make things people enjoy and don't spend all your time in the kitchen so you miss out on the Holiday. Many grocery stores now sell really good spiral sliced hams. It is way easier to serve if pre-sliced that way. You can also warm only a portion of the ham depending on the size of your party. The Honey Baked brand over the years has gotten to be SO expensive and honestly, it's still just ham and not worth the extra price anymore.

No real traditions here as we are not at all religious, so no big family meal, just the 5 of us. We 'observe' the social aspects of the holiday, so the bunny will come and leave a basket for the 7yo. Not sure what dinner will be. So far the requests are homemade macaroni and cheese or a "nice stuffed chicken." I'd prefer duck, lamb (love them both and think of them as spring/easter seasonal foods), or prime rib (just because I love it) but those probably won't happen (the 30-somethings aren't big meat eaters). I just saw a nice recipe for pork loin that I might try. Dunno- we'll figure it out by Friday.

DW and I were discussing the Easter menu just yesterday, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of interest. None of us really wants to cook, I'd be fine with takeout or just prepare something from our freezer. There is a tradition of making a bunny cake with the DGDs but that's more about the fun of assembling it.

Finally, made a decision yesterday on Easter. Invited a neighbor for an early dinner after she attends church.

Don’t want to cook a lot for two people but do want “traditional” food. This is where things stand now:

Green minestrone soup. Has tons of vegetables (asparagus, fennel, peas, fiddleheads ferns, carrot, and baby artichokes just because they looked beauteous at market) so many in fact that I won’t serve much more greens.

Using a mini spring form pan or two to make pizza rustica aka Neapolitan Easter pie. I’ve never made this before but it’s so similar to quiche well why not? Seems I’ll be in good company what with all the other posters placing it on their menu 😎

Grilled rib lamb chops served on a bed of field greens with fresh mint and radishes. Dunno but the radishes remind me of springtime France.

Frozen citrus sorbet in an orange cup. It’s just store bought gelato or sorbet “squished” into an emptied orange peel shell and re-frozen. Maybe I’ll pour a bit of framboise or cassis on top.

So, normally, I do Thai duck takeout, BUT money is tighter this year.

So, instead, we've done/are doing the 3 weeks of Easter meals - ham, duck, and lamb, Spiral ham (99 cents/lb) was last week and ended up as 3 dinners.

Whole duck from Aldi's (on sale for $2.79/lb) is this week, and will be 2 meals.

Then, Aldi's had boneless lamb loin for $6.99/lb (but that's all meat in that poundage), and they are already tied and the size of pork tenderloins. So, for my 6, I'm planning the lamb on Easter day. Not sure of sides yet, b/c not sure what flavors I'm going to do with the lamb and how much work I want (or if one of my kids will help). And I've never cooked this cut of lamb (or seen it at Aldi's before).

If it were me, with the lamb, I'd do a red wine jus, a spring dairy free nut free risotto, and a fruit salad...but risotto could just become homemade sourdough bread or a green salad.

So, it's like an Easter build up vs all in one day...and my freezer and tiny kitchen also thank me for that:).

It's just DH and me this year -- he's a trumpet player and has a number of church jobs -- he won't be home until about 1:00 p.m. Sometimes, our son and his family come over -- not sure of their plans this year.

Normally, we have ham and trimmings, but I'm actually thinking (since we only have one car and I'll be home all morning) of doing a brunch -- quiche, biscuits/gravy, salad, fruit, some kind of sweet roll or coffee cake.

ETA: Found out DD is coming home after all, and she agrees with the brunch idea!

Last edited:
We're feasting here on Good Friday with our traditional menu of ham and scalloped potatoes. Saturday is my birthday so we'll likely be going to a restaurant and not sure about Sunday yet. We'll be hosted somewhere but not firm yet on whom or whether it will be an early or later meal. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter