Eat at Home 3!

I’m scrolling to get ideas for next week. This week got a bit derailed. My work trip got canceled because the destination is getting pummeled with snow. I had no plans for today’s dinner, so it’s breakfast for dinner once again.

I’m considering French dip sandwiches from the slow cooker for next week. Has anyone made this before? Did they come out good? I don’t know if it’s our slow cooker, but meat often comes out a bit dry, even the fattier cuts.
Just an idea and I don't know how you like your meat, but I make roast beef often (medium rare) and it is foolproof. Start it in a cold oven. Season how you like (I usually just do salt and pepper, my mom also slices an onion for the bottom of the pan). Turn the oven up to 350 degrees when you put the beef in. Cook for 20 minutes per pound. Do not count the first 20 minutes while the oven comes up to temp (doesn't matter when your oven actually comes up to temp just ignore the first 20 mins). It's my grandmother's "recipe". It doesn't make sense, but it just works. I swear. If you like your meat more well done, after you either use the drippings or a packet to make the au jus, just add the meat back in after letting it rest at least 10-15 mins. This will not work for you if you like your meat very well done. It's not a crockpot recipe I realize so might not be what you are looking for but may be something you cook on the weekend since it really needs no attention and then just slice and make sandwiches on a weeknight while warming the beef in gravy or au jus.

ETA: I use top round or eye round. I live in Philly, but grew up on Long Island and have always been able to find those cuts. I know different areas have different names for things.

Just an idea and I don't know how you like your meat, but I make roast beef often (medium rare) and it is foolproof. Start it in a cold oven. Season how you like (I usually just do salt and pepper, my mom also slices an onion for the bottom of the pan). Turn the oven up to 350 degrees when you put the beef in. Cook for 20 minutes per pound. Do not count the first 20 minutes while the oven comes up to temp (doesn't matter when your oven actually comes up to temp just ignore the first 20 mins). It's my grandmother's "recipe". It doesn't make sense, but it just works. I swear. If you like your meat more well done, after you either use the drippings or a packet to make the au jus, just add the meat back in after letting it rest at least 10-15 mins. This will not work for you if you like your meat very well done. It's not a crockpot recipe I realize so might not be what you are looking for but may be something you cook on the weekend since it really needs no attention and then just slice and make sandwiches on a weeknight while warming the beef in gravy or au jus.

ETA: I use top round or eye round. I live in Philly, but grew up on Long Island and have always been able to find those cuts. I know different areas have different names for things.
Thanks! I’m still trying to perfect my roast beef recipe and will give this a try. My friend taught me to rub the roast with salt the night before which has made a difference.

Thanks! I’m still trying to perfect my roast beef recipe and will give this a try. My friend taught me to rub the roast with salt the night before which has made a difference.
I hope it works for you. I have passed it along to a lot of others including inlaws and everyone was happy as long as they like medium rare beef.

we do our roasts (also rare) for french dips in the oven as well. i get the powdered au juice that comes in a jar. we LOVE to get horseraddish cheddar from the grocery deli to top with.

I am going to try this after I recover from having my wisdom teeth out. So it will be a few weeks. I LOVE roast beef but fail more often then I succeed in making it.

I ended up with a stomach bug early this week. So the chili & ribs got pushed back a few days. Husband ended up with a frozen entree 1 day & take out burgers the other as I did a BRAT & jello diet. I was better by Wednesday so we had the left over pasta, ribs & chili the last few days.

Tomorrow will be chicken soup.
Sunday spaghetti with meat sauce
Monday homemade pizza
Tuesday beef ribs w/ garlic pasta & vegetables

By Wednesday I’ll need to grocery shop so I’ll figure out the rest after that.

Thanks to all for the roast beef tips! We do like our beef medium to medium rare and probably would have been disappointed with the slow cooker French dip sandwiches. I’ll give this a try when we have a free Sunday.

Dance competition season is kicking off here, so the next weekends are going to be very busy. I made a meal plan trying to incorporate what we have on hand that needs to be used up.

Today: homemade pizza
Sunday: comp starts, MIL is coming and bringing sandwiches for lunch. Dinner will be the fast food drive through
Monday: baked salmon (chicken fingers for DD), roasted broccoli, potatoes
Tuesday: pasta with butter and garlic, cucumber salad
Wednesday: Tacos
Thursday: baked chicken thighs (DD will have to suffer through those), couscous, green beans
Friday: off to an all weekend comp with hotel stay, eating out.

Also trying to prep three bean salad for my lunches. Work has been busy and I’ve been eating way too much toast for lunch this week.

Just got back from shopping.

Tonight pork chop and potatoes and salad

Sunday family day. Breakfast out. Sandwiches for dinner

Monday rotisserie chicken and salad

Tuesday Hamburgers, cucumber salad

Wednesday Steak and mushrooms

Thursday Meatloaf or tacos

Friday access what is on hard or leftovers

Days subject to be switched around. May skip burger night and go to Red Robin since I still have the coupon and gift card. My husband was upset that we didn’t go last week.

Just went shopping, this is the plan (always subject to change, I have a well stocked pantry and often swap)

Sunday: Sweet Thai chicken, soy-garlic noodles, vegetable egg rolls
Monday: Homemade french bread pizza, salad
Tuesday: Ham and provolone roll ups, fries, salad
Wed: panko shrimp, parmesan angel hair, green beans
Thur: penne parma rosa
Fri: something fast, we have my son's karate graduation... so maybe ravioli or grilled cheese

Largely made last week's meal plan.

This week, it's all about the cheap protein - ham. I don't love it, but for 99 cents/lb, I can't avoid making it. Kids got a treat yesterday with Red Baron pizzas on sale for the 1st time in forever (if I ever buy pizza, it's always made the same day b/c my freezer is not big enough to store them). Here's the plan...

Sunday - Red Baron Pizza, German-style coleslaw (apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, raw honey, olive oil, s&p), raspberries

Monday - Crockpot ham, bakery french bread, roasted butternut squash, more raspberries

Tuesday - Ham part 2 (we'll see how much is left to decide what gets made), roasted potatoes, roasted broccoli, blackberries and red papaya

Wednesday - Lemon "butter" garlic shrimp, cous cous, cucumber avocado salad, more papaya with orange juice and bananas

Thursday - Steak tacos (this is the one meal I failed to make again, so let's try again with a Mexican concept), black beans, clementines

Friday - Last Church Soup dinner - Bringing top 9 allergy free Roasted Tomato and Bell Pepper soup, vanilla cupcakes, and fruit

Saturday - Birthday meal request at Five Guys

Took advantage of a deal at Publix for the brats & meatballs and using up the cabbage from St Pattys day dinner. Undecided on dinner for Saturday.🤔

🔹Sunday: Corned Beef with carrots, potatoes and cabbage
🔹Monday: Scallops in a butter sauce over linguine
🔹Tuesday: Egg roll in a bowl
🔹Wednesday: Brats with peppers & onions, roasted potatoes
🔹Thursday: Ricotta Meatballs with garlic knots
🔹Friday: leftovers
🔹Saturday: ???

Monday: L/o chicken cutlets with fries in the air fryer. Tortellini for me with l/o for lunch tomorrow.
Tuesday: DH wants to finish up his cutlets and I'll probably make rice. Homemade buffalo chicken pizza for me which should give me leftovers for the rest of the week.
Wednesday: Marinated london broil and roasted potatoes
Thursday: Some kind of taco (either regular or teriyaki chicken tacos) with rice OR chinese takeout since we didn't do it last week
Friday: heading to my parents and will eat something along the way (going to clean out their garage since they need some help)
Saturday: neil diamond tribute concert with my mom (matinee), probably hit up the diner on the way to bring her home

Sunday was pasta and meat sauce
Yesterday was sloppy joes using up the leftover meat sauce from Sunday
Tonight: Dragon noodles
Tomorrow: Fish tacos
Thursday: Steak & salmon
Friday: Hamburgers & hot dogs
Saturday: Taco salads

Anyone else eat just a bowl of cereal for supper? I used to make fun of my parents when I was a teenager because they'd eat a bowl of cereal for supper. I'd be like how is that possible? That's what I had tonight. Well, 2 bowls of raisin brand. Wife had Fruit Loops for dinner. So lame, I know. But we were wore out from work (wife worked 7A-6:30P because she had someone call in sink and I worked 8-5:30 then went to the grocery store then home for a 2-1/2 mile walk). We were going to cook tacos, but neither of us were in the mood.

Sunday - grilled chicken breasts, bread, mashed potatoes (we bought a bag of precookoed, frozen chicken breasts and II cooked a half bag of carrots and kept the other half frozen);
Monday - grilled chicken sandwiches, salad (for me), tator tots;
Tuesday - cereal;
Wednesday - sauteed shrimp and veggies (for me, wife has choir, so not sure what she'll do);
Thursday - tacos;

Last edited:
I intended to make beef ribs yesterday, but saw I had some chicken breasts in the freezer. So we had breaded chicken breasts, rice pilaf, peas & cranberry sauce.

Went grocery shopping today, this is the plan for this week. Although I may make things different days than listed. Tonight was beef stew with crusty Tuscan bread.

Thursday- found a recipe for lasagna roll ups, I’ve never made them before so we’ll try it & see how we like it.

Friday- My husband found some tortellini he wants to try, I might make a tuna macaroni salad.

Saturday- BLT sandwiches with chips

Sunday- roast turkey breast, mashed potatoes, dressing, green beans

Monday- beef tacos

Tuesday- steak (husband) salmon with lemon dill sauce (me) roasted baby potatoes, roasted butternut squash

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter