ECV help

bairdbeth

DIS Veteran
My Doctor and Chiropractor both told me today that if I was still going to go to WDW, then I would need to rent an ECV or risk further strain/injury to my back. So, I bit the bullet and made a reservation through Walker Mobility as I have only seen good reviews. I am terrified however, that I am going to run someone over or hold everyone up for the bus because I can't manuveur into the right spot. Also, is it okay to park the ECV and get out and walk into the rides/shows/ ect? Is there a certain place to park? Any advice for a first time ECV user would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!:wave:

I have read advice on this board- it has said to go to the supermarket or walmart and "get use to driving" by using one of thiers. I guess it will give you a feel for driving one.

I know that the CM's will point you in the right direction for parking. I know that my MIL will be using one in Dec.(she has her own) and she gets up and walks on the rides.

You could take a little time when you get your ECV delivered to drive it around and figure out stopping range, backing up and what not.

I know that y MIL drove one around the store for about an hour testing it out.

A big advantage to trying one of the ecvs at places at Target or Walmart is that they are very large and cumbersome (and also have a cart stuck on the front). Anyone who has driven one of those will find a rental one tiny and easy to drive in comparison.
It is a good idea to practice a little before venturing out. Get used to backing up and try a little parallel parking before you try to get on the bus the first time. That way, you will be more comfortable and not so worried about what you are doing.
I would suggest Epcot is a good park for a first time ecv driver. The pathways are wide, so it's not so crowded feeling. I would save MK until you feel confident. Because it is a smaller park and things are close together, it gets very congested in some spots. THere are also more kids to be watching for at MK.
As Anne mentioned, the CMs will show you where to park if you want to walk into rides/attractions. It's usually by the strollers. If you need to avoid things like moving walkways that are used for boarding, you will need to bring the ecv in line with you (or go to Guest Services and explain what your needs are so they can make suggestions, like possibly getting a Guest Assistance Card). Some attractions have a long path to go from the queue entry point to actually getting into the ride - 2 I can think of are It's Great to be a Bug and Kilomanjari Safari (which is not recommended for people with back or neck issues).
But, ecvs are pretty easy to drive. My FIL finally rented one this year and had no trouble at all.

I have had very good service from Walker Mobility over the last two years.

As for the WDW busses ... take the time you need to get settle in correctly & don't let anyone bother you. Most of the time guests will have to wait for the driver to open the back door of the bus & let you in. Most drivers want you to back onto the ramp. Yes, it does take some practice, but it is "doable."

One time at a resort a guest rushed in front of me to get in line for the bus when she relaized I was getting on the bus. Well, imagine her surprise when the bus driver did not open the front door until he came to the back & got me loaded on to the bus!

Take your time & enjoy your trip!

Thanks! I went to Publix today, but they didn't have any electric carts. I am going to Walmart tomorrow as I know I saw them there. I also plan to practice at Pop Century before we go to a park. It sounds like Epcot will be a good choice for our first park.Mk is our favorite, but it is EMH morning there and we won't get to Pop until about 9:00, so no way MK. My DD loves Epcot so we will start there. :wave:

I did it! I used a cart at Walmart. I didn't run over anyone nor did I knock anything over. I practiced backing up as well. I still feel nervous about using an ECV in WDW but no longer terrified! I sure got a different view at Walmart. I am use to running interference and moving carts out of the way for my friends in chairs. I was by myself and found I had to take different paths instead of straight as there were many carts left in the middle of the aisle. I almost ran over a football that a child threw in my direction. I sure got a different perspective. I will be more vigilant on where I leave my cart and were my child is standing!:wave:

Congratulations.

Now if people ask, you can tell them you "just got the license from a Cracker Jacks box today". Actually, tell people I have never hit (or run over) anyone by accident. I have had a few times I have stopped and someone has walked into my ECV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter