Ecv in Animal Kingdom still difficult?

freemore

Mouseketeer
I have read that when Animal Kingdom opened it was very difficult to get around in in a ecv, has it gotten any easier?

thanks, lene

I have never noticed it difficult at all to get around at AK in an ECV. However, some of the streets/walkways are "defective", which will give a bumpy ride.

I have been around Animal Kingdom many times in both an ECV and more recently an Electric powerchair.

Some of the paths are a bit bumpy compared to the other parks, and there are a few gentle slopes, but well within the capabilities of an ECV.

If you have an ECV that is substanially larger than average, you might have difficulty riding the train to Conservation Station, but that's the only problem I can think of.

I don't think there is any substantial difference between the parks regarding the ease of riding ECVs.

Andrew

Thanks a lot for the information, this will be my first time in an ecv and my neck doesn't tolerate bumps or sways well. I will be on the lookout.

Thanks, lene

AK is pretty bumpy in places. i have ms and being bumped, touched, jarred, etc. often makes that feeling of one's skin crawling happen throughout my whole body, from the spine and outward--not just the skin!

I hated parts of it when I was being pushed in a manual wheelchair. however, my last trip i was in an ecv and i don't really remember the bumps being a problem. maybe i was subconsciously more aware of the path i chose, maybe the "shocks" were better on the ecv, or maybe being active vs. passive helped, too.

dj

Dj, thanks for the information! I wonder if anyone has ever brought this problem to Disney's attention?

Thanks, lene

The paths in AK were themed in a way that makes them somewhat bumpy. They were designed to have imprints of leaves, small stones, etc, in the walkways to make them look more like paths in Africa, Asia, etc.
Some people find the theming to be bumpy enough to notice. Other people don't notice at all. I imagine it might make a difference what type of seat, tires and shocks you have. Someone with hard rubber tires and a sling seat on a wheelchair might notice it more than someone with airfilled tires and a padded seat.

Originally posted by SueM in MN
I imagine it might make a difference what type of seat, tires and shocks you have. Someone with hard rubber tires and a sling seat on a wheelchair might notice it more than someone with airfilled tires and a padded seat.

I have solid rubber tires, no suspension and less than one inch of foam between my backside and a steel plate seat. I find this no problem at all at walking pace, though I probably wouldn't want to ride at top speed (8mph).

Andrew

Originally posted by Andrew Bichard
I have solid rubber tires, no suspension and less than one inch of foam between my backside and a steel plate seat. I find this no problem at all at walking pace, though I probably wouldn't want to ride at top speed (8mph).

Andrew
Well, I didn't say I guessed right. ;)
In her manual wheelchair, my DD has solid wheels on the front and gel filled wheels on the back. She also has a gel seat cushion. Her power wheelchair has the same seat, but has solid tires. She's not uncomfortable in eiterh and likes bumpy rides.
The people I have seen writing about how bumpy and uncomfortable were mostly using manaul rented wheelchairs with sling seats (especially the ones rented from the parks). Whether their discomfort has more to do with the sling seats, their being unused to using a wheelchair or the park, I don't know.

I think that it is the particular disability that people have that makes the difference in whether or not people are uncomfortable with bumpy rides. A lot of people in wheel chairs or on ecvs, aren't necessarily in pain.....it is because I have neck and back pain that I can't tolerate bumps, even in my Lincoln Town Car...the best ride ever...so that is why I was concerned about the bumps.

Thanks Lene

Originally posted by SueM in MN
...and likes bumpy rides...
Sooo funny! My DS also loves going over bumpy surfaces in his wheelchair :p, so we seek them out. AK is his favorite park, but for other reasons (Festival of the Lion King being the primary one).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter