ECV Question for Disabled Mother (Restaurants, Rides, etc.)

erikjscott

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I had a question regarding ECV usage for my mother. We are a party of 8, and my mother is the only member of our party with an ECV and is physically disabled. She has the ability to walk MAYBE five steps without the use of a walker, and a lot of assistance. She can also transfer to chairs and transfer to wheelchairs with help. With a walker, she can probably walk about 30 feet before she has to sit down for a 20 second break.

My first question is --- the rides that say transfer to Wheelchair --- is the Wheelchair provided for her at the ride? She is a larger woman and is already worried that the width of the wheelchair will be too narrow.

Second question is --- will she have an issue in restaurants? She can transfer to a chair at the table (and then we can move the ECV I guess), but will not be able to park an ECV outside and then walk to the table (unless the restaurants have some type of walker available).

Third question is --- are there any fold-up walkers that we could purchase that maybe could be connected to the ECV so that when she has to transfer, if the ECV can't go in, we can use?

1- Yes, wheelchairs are provided at the attractions requiring ECVs to transfer to a wheelchair. Whether an extra large chair will be available at the time you arrive at the queue may be the bigger question. You might need to wait for one.

2- I suggest having your ADRs noted as needing an accessible path for the ECV. You may need to wait a few extra minutes.

3- From other posts, I gather there is no really great way to attach a walker to an ECV. Some have mentioned using bungee cords. Maybe someone will share a better suggestion.

Hi,

I had a question regarding ECV usage for my mother. We are a party of 8, and my mother is the only member of our party with an ECV and is physically disabled. She has the ability to walk MAYBE five steps without the use of a walker, and a lot of assistance. She can also transfer to chairs and transfer to wheelchairs with help. With a walker, she can probably walk about 30 feet before she has to sit down for a 20 second break.

My first question is --- the rides that say transfer to Wheelchair --- is the Wheelchair provided for her at the ride? She is a larger woman and is already worried that the width of the wheelchair will be too narrow.

Second question is --- will she have an issue in restaurants? She can transfer to a chair at the table (and then we can move the ECV I guess), but will not be able to park an ECV outside and then walk to the table (unless the restaurants have some type of walker available).

Third question is --- are there any fold-up walkers that we could purchase that maybe could be connected to the ECV so that when she has to transfer, if the ECV can't go in, we can use?
First, yes, if the ride requires you to transfer to a wheelchair in the queue, there is a wheelchair provided.
Second, when you check in to restaurants, if you tell them you need to be within a few feet of your wheelchair, they'll offer usually that you can either sit on it, or seat you near a corner and have a nearby, out of the way, parking spot for your ECV. At Jiko, I rode my ECV to the table, transferred to the table and the hostess drove my ECV to the central parking area. At the end of the meal, our server took my key, went over and got my ECV, then drove it back to me, kind of like valet parking.
Third, I'm not sure, but I wish I was since I can barely walk more than a few steps without one. For my upcoming trip. the company I get my ECV from had several attachments I could choose and one choice was a holder for a walker. I never saw that before, so I didn't choose it. Let you know if I find out more next month!

First, yes, if the ride requires you to transfer to a wheelchair in the queue, there is a wheelchair provided.
Second, when you check in to restaurants, if you tell them you need to be within a few feet of your wheelchair, they'll offer usually that you can either sit on it, or seat you near a corner and have a nearby, out of the way, parking spot for your ECV. At Jiko, I rode my ECV to the table, transferred to the table and the hostess drove my ECV to the central parking area. At the end of the meal, our server took my key, went over and got my ECV, then drove it back to me, kind of like valet parking.
Third, I'm not sure, but I wish I was since I can barely walk more than a few steps without one. For my upcoming trip. the company I get my ECV from had several attachments I could choose and one choice was a holder for a walker. I never saw that before, so I didn't choose it. Let you know if I find out more next month!
What is the company that had an attachment for a walker? That could be interesting (although that might make it more challenging for her to maneuver the ECV on the rides that do allow her to have the ECV?).

Do you know if every restaurant allows the ECV in the restaurant if we tell them ahead of time? Or do some restaurants only have stairs?

What is the company that had an attachment for a walker? That could be interesting (although that might make it more challenging for her to maneuver the ECV on the rides that do allow her to have the ECV?).

Do you know if every restaurant allows the ECV in the restaurant if we tell them ahead of time? Or do some restaurants only have stairs?
Gold Mobility had the attachment.
I do remember that at Hollywood Brown Derby there are stairs between the hostess stand into the restaurant. So the server took me outside and around to a different door to go into the restaurant.

Just to note, it's for a walker, not a rollator. Some use "walker" even though they are talking about a rollator. First time we had a EVC, DH was concern of going through the lines and wanted to bring his rollator. It wouldn't work. By the way, he did fine with the EVC.

But to OP, if mother can walk maybe 30 feet with walker before needing to sit. Be sure to plan the route before moving. Don't want her to need a chair right now and nothing in sight. And if asked by a CM if Mom can walk a short distance. Say no. You may be thinking 10 ft ,. like getting out of chair take 10 steps and get into ride car. CM may be talking about 100 ft. Say you need to get as close as possible.

Just to note, it's for a walker, not a rollator. Some use "walker" even though they are talking about a rollator. First time we had a EVC, DH was concern of going through the lines and wanted to bring his rollator. It wouldn't work. By the way, he did fine with the EVC.
Thanks! That's exactly the error I made-thinking that the attachment that they called as being for a walker would work for my rollator. Good thing I didn't take it!

I just did a google search for walker attachment and saw a ton of reg. walkers on a EVC, BUT I did see some with a rollator attached. With products changing, maybe you should double check with evc rental with what they have.

Perhaps OP's will find a place with the rollator attachment which sounds like a perfect match for her mom.

Gold Mobility had the attachment.
I do remember that at Hollywood Brown Derby there are stairs between the hostess stand into the restaurant. So the server took me outside and around to a different door to go into the restaurant.
years ago that was also true for Liberty Tree in MK

years ago that was also true for Liberty Tree in MK
There’s a little wheelchair elevator there by the host stand now.

When we were there in October, the host was seating people so we were waiting for him to come back and run the elevator. The, I guess, manager came over and had no clue how to work it.

I’d be wary of the loaner wheelchairs at the rides because a lot of them are extremely run down, rusty, and have flat tires that make pushing them (either by you or her) extremely difficult.

When we were there in October, the host was seating people so we were waiting for him to come back and run the elevator. The, I guess, manager came over and had no clue how to work it.
I am glad to hear. that is one of my worst memories at WDW was bumping a stroller with sleeping baby that parents refused to move. of course baby woke up at cried most of rest of their meal. this was back when still a character meal and parents hoped to enjoy meal with older child while baby slept. they complained because they had to carry stroller up steps while they brought me in the side door and woke up the baby

There is? Do you have a pic?

Frankly with 8 of you going I think the best idea is to use a wheelchair all the time and for all of you to take turns pushing her. Even if some of you separate there should be enough people to help push.

You can get a portable travel wheelchair which is more light weight and is under 20 pounds. Most of them have a 300 pound weight limit. If you need a bigger, heavier wheelchair then it will weigh more.

You can bring her into the restaurants without a problem that way. You can get her to all the rides, too with little walking.

If your mom has very little experience of using a scooter it could be a nightmare for her to learn at Disney. You should at least practice in stores like Walmart or a grocery store to see how she would do with a scooter. I would even suggest a local zoo who has rental scooters to see how she does with one. Getting on and off Disney transportation with a scooter can be quite a challenge. Kids at the park will dart right in front of you and you need good reactions to stop.

There is? Do you have a pic?

No, why would I take a picture of a wheelchair elevator?

My mom used a Scooterbug ECV in it.

Absurd that I would just randomly take a picture of a wheelchair elevator.
@Groot asked a simple question. There's no need for an attitude in your response since there wasn't any attitude in Groot's question. People take pictures of all kinds of things at Disney. All you had to say was that you didn't take a picture.

Frankly with 8 of you going I think the best idea is to use a wheelchair all the time and for all of you to take turns pushing her. Even if some of you separate there should be enough people to help push.

You can get a portable travel wheelchair which is more light weight and is under 20 pounds. Most of them have a 300 pound weight limit. If you need a bigger, heavier wheelchair then it will weigh more.

You can bring her into the restaurants without a problem that way. You can get her to all the rides, too with little walking.

If your mom has very little experience of using a scooter it could be a nightmare for her to learn at Disney. You should at least practice in stores like Walmart or a grocery store to see how she would do with a scooter. I would even suggest a local zoo who has rental scooters to see how she does with one. Getting on and off Disney transportation with a scooter can be quite a challenge. Kids at the park will dart right in front of you and you need good reactions to stop.
If you do get a wheelchair for all day use, get a pair or two of padded bike gloves. They have extra padding on the palm of the hand and the thumb joint.
helps prevent blisters.

Also, depending on when you are going, the person in the chair since they aren’t “working “ building up body heat, they may need an extra layer of clothing or maybe a light throw.

These were my experience with pushing my husband at Disney. He now uses an EVC, his needs got greater and I got older.

My mom used a Scooterbug ECV in it.

Absurd that I would just randomly take a picture of a wheelchair elevator.

Actually, if you search around this area, you will see that we take pictures of bus lifts, boat ramps, ride vehicles, attraction seating, accessible Minnie Vans, roll-in showers, and yes, even elevators.

We take pictures because being able to see - with a picture that depicts a mobility device with its user - can tell us lots of information at a glance about what to expect.

It can be important information for our friends here, even if it seems like a simple thing to folks who are never around mobility devices. Because your Mom used a scooter, I’m willing to bet you have learned a lot of things about WDW that might surprise someone who has never accompanied a loved one with a mobility device. If your Mom will need to use a scooter the next time she visits WDW, just knowing where that elevator is makes your trip a tiny bit easier. Knowing how many people will fit, makes your trip a tiny bit easier. Add that up multiple times a day for things like ramps, bathrooms, and yes, elevators, across your trip at WDW, and it takes a bit of stress away from what can be a stressful experience for everyone who travels with your Mom.

My family experienced this learning curve when I had to start using a scooter at WDW. We learned pathways to elevators and ramps, companion restrooms and accessible seating, among other things. And everything that we learned like that made our next trip a little easier, and a little less stressful because we knew what to expect.

We all freely share that info here; there’s no gatekeeping on that kind of information.

Thanks for the information about the elevator; just posting it means someone else who is searching for that very information might find it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter