El Capitan Theatre featuring Disney Show!

missmulan

DIS Veteran
I just got back from watching "The Incredibles" at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood (across the street from Mann's Chinese Theatre). Let me just say that it was FABULOUS! Before every show is a caberet type musical show featuring the Disney Characters! Songs were both "Hollywoodsy" and "Patriotic". It was about 1/2 hour long and let's see if I could remember all the characters....Snow White, Belle, Cinderella, Buzz, Woody, Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Mike & Sulley! I might be missing a few more but it was great...I felt like I was on the DCL! After the movie you get to interact with some of the characters in a downstairs meeting room. They advertised that Feb 2005 they will be showing "Heffalumps" and Pooh Bear will be a meet & greet character!

This sounds like so much fun! Like a real "experience"!

About how far away do you think this is from Disneyland?

Are there other attractions around the theater that you saw?

I'm planning at staying at DL next year and I'm not sure if I should make a side trip to the theater or plan a whole day around this area?

The El Capitan (which Disney owns), is on Hollywood Blvd. It's across from the Chinese Theater, along the walk of fame, not too far from the Kodak Theater and the Hollywood & Highland complex. There's also a nearby hotel that's supposed to be haunted. Take the I-5 north to the 101 north. It's around and hour to hour and a half drive.

The El Capitan is right in the heart of Hollywood so the attractions are the hand/footprints across the street, the Walk of Fame all along the sidewalks, Ripley's Believe or Not Museum on the next block, the famous Hamburger Hamlet next door. The "Hollywood & Highland" complex that iceskatejen mentioned houses many shops (Build A Bear, Gap, BeBe, Sephora), restaurants (Johnny Rockets), a visitors information center, and most important...the Kodak Theatre (where the Academy Awards were). When the movie Finding Nemo came out, we went to see it at the El Capitan...while we were waiting on line they had an award show at the Kodak Theatre where they honored Al Pacino as a lifetime whatever. Everyone of us got to see many, many stars walk the red carpet that night from across the street. It was a treat! I had my camera but only 5 shots left and I wanted to save it for my own kids because it was their first El Capitan experience.

they are doing ice princess soon at the el capitan! and there's an ice skating party afterwards. got the flyer just yesterday in the mail...but tossed it out, since i've got 2 DSs, who are so not into pricesses. would be very cute for little girls!

they showcase "family type" disney movies! when princess diary 2 came out, they have a tea party afterwards. i took my 2 DSs for piglet's first movie. they loved it! and they had these paper butterflies fly out from the sky in the theater. really neat! :flower:

I got my postcard too and it looks like the princesses skate with the children. My concern is that I don't know where this ice skating rink is?? It cannot be onsite because the little room downstairs is too small. Hmmm??? anyone???

They have a big tent like structure behind the theater which has housed the special event activities that followed the last few special event movies.

Goofy is correct...

They used to do things next door. They had it completely renovated and then the Jimmy Kimmel Show took over (thanks ABC!!!). Now they are left with doing any added items in a tent in the parking lot directly behind the theater.

One way we have used to get up there is to use Metrolink to Union Station and the Metro Rail to Hollywood/Highland. It's right across the street. You just have to make sure you have a train back. Be sure to check the schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter