El Nino

30 views and NO replies.. come on guys, i prefaced this with i know people hate weather questions...... :cool1:... edited to add- this comment is said in a jovial bantering way, as its being misconstured as rude and impatient..
From all I have read and spoke to a couple meteorologists I know, it is not looking bad for CA in Dec...I too am from PNW and the rain this week has been a bit much! I am going beginning of Dec and it is supposed to be good weather. You will have a wonderful time!

Okay... I K-N-O-W ... weather related questions are annoying and just check the forecast a few days before, etc etc..

But with the forecast of a "Strong El Nino".. Do we move/change our December Disneyland trip? We are SO excited to go, but also do NOT want to go in the rain and the cold. We are from the PNW, so can "handle" rain, but we don't want to... HELP.. Is this worrying anyone else?
I would go on the trip. They keep talking about El Nino and La Nina. Unless a huge storm is predicted for your trip, I would go. The weather forecasters are rarely correct as many have already stated. Just check a few days before. I would monitor your dates on Accuweather and the weather channel online. Also go to the local tv stations, KCBS, KNBC and KABC.
@DLgal has her weather guru who was spot on for the summer and the tropical rain. Anything on El Nino and SCAL yet?

Okay... I K-N-O-W ... weather related questions are annoying and just check the forecast a few days before, etc etc..

But with the forecast of a "Strong El Nino".. Do we move/change our December Disneyland trip? We are SO excited to go, but also do NOT want to go in the rain and the cold. We are from the PNW, so can "handle" rain, but we don't want to... HELP.. Is this worrying anyone else?
I would go on the trip. They keep talking about El Nino and La Nina. Unless a huge storm is predicted for your trip, I would go. The weather forecasters are rarely correct as many have already stated. Just check a few days before. I would monitor your dates on Accuweather and the weather channel online. Also go to the local tv stations, KCBS, KNBC and KABC.
@DLgal has her weather guru who was spot on for the summer and the tropical rain. Anything on El Nino and SCAL yet?

From all I have read and spoke to a couple meteorologists I know, it is not looking bad for CA in Dec...I too am from PNW and the rain this week has been a bit much! I am going beginning of Dec and it is supposed to be good weather. You will have a wonderful time!
Ahh, thank you so much, this is such an ease to my mind! :) Have a wonderful trip, as well!

Thank you! I don't know about the weather guru, but i love a good weather guy/gal.. I will watch for good updates! :)

Where is DLGal? Her last visit was 3 weeks ago. Hope she is alright.

If it is causing you this much panic, cancel.

Realistically, no one can tell you if/how much it will rain this far out. El Nino or not. I'm going, whether it rains or not. I really don't expect it to.

Here are my $.75 cents worth (no longer "my $.02 cents worth" due to inflation)

Being from the PNW as well I have come not to trust what the Farmers Almanac and what others predict. How many times have we heard this is going to be a harsh winter, lots of snow and then we hardly see any. Lots of times.

Since schedules have been set, PTO in place, I would still go as planned. We have a trip planned for late January with the understanding we could have some bad weather and it doesn't worry me at all. Going this time of the year suits us well.

We got caught in some torrential downpours last January. Not exactly what I was hoping for but we still had an awesome time since we were prepared. Picture Northface jackets and pants. Remained perfectly dry compared to the others that bought the flimsy ponchos. And like you, I can relate to not wanting to visit DL in the rain. We deal with the rain enough throughout the year.

Here is my last $.75 cents worth. Things did get a bit sideways re your OP. Don't take it personal, there are a ton of great ppl here on the boards more than willing to help you and anyone else

We got caught in some torrential downpours last January. Not exactly what I was hoping for but we still had an awesome time since we were prepared. Picture Northface jackets and pants. Remained perfectly dry compared to the others that bought the flimsy ponchos.
Also doing an expensive December trip (in my case WDW) but I know 1) weather changes faster than the weather is reported - checking it as you head out the door for the park is your best bet; and 2) bringing proper clothing layers helps. SpaceMan5 is correct about better quality clothing, I spent some time finding a quality rain poncho already - a $1 poncho only gets you so far; and I'm hitting Amazon now to look for some decent rain pants to pack in case it looks like long days of rain. You'll want a couple pairs of good quality shoes for everyone even if it does not rain, it's good to air out the shoes in the hotel for a day between use - you're looking at a Lot of walking, even with the smaller California parks.

We live in So. Cal and when we learn the a heavy El Nino is predicted, it is concerning. However, we've had wonderful DL experiences in first part of December. It's usually Jan, Feb, March where the heavy 'atmospheric rivers" pump rain for days on the coast.
Biggest worry is always driving around on flooded streets. Blech. Agree with TinkAgainU about layers, ponchos, shoes, if weather predicts... Just remember to enjoy the experience and smile no matter what happens

If it is causing you this much panic, cancel.

Realistically, no one can tell you if/how much it will rain this far out. El Nino or not. I'm going, whether it rains or not. I really don't expect it to.

I don’t think you can qualify asking a question as to wether or not the predicted weather pattern is worrying anyone else as “this much panic”..

But, thank you for the insight regarding your continued plans. That’s helpful.

We live in So. Cal and when we learn the a heavy El Nino is predicted, it is concerning. However, we've had wonderful DL experiences in first part of December. It's usually Jan, Feb, March where the heavy 'atmospheric rivers" pump rain for days on the coast.
Biggest worry is always driving around on flooded streets. Blech. Agree with TinkAgainU about layers, ponchos, shoes, if weather predicts... Just remember to enjoy the experience and smile no matter what happens
Yes, I think it was the sudden wide spread news coverage of heavy El Niño that had me worrying, and feeling unsure. Lol- We are going first part of December, so here is to hoping! We are having atmospheric rivers in Oregon this week, LOL.

Also doing an expensive December trip (in my case WDW) but I know 1) weather changes faster than the weather is reported - checking it as you head out the door for the park is your best bet; and 2) bringing proper clothing layers helps. SpaceMan5 is correct about better quality clothing, I spent some time finding a quality rain poncho already - a $1 poncho only gets you so far; and I'm hitting Amazon now to look for some decent rain pants to pack in case it looks like long days of rain. You'll want a couple pairs of good quality shoes for everyone even if it does not rain, it's good to air out the shoes in the hotel for a day between use - you're looking at a Lot of walking, even with the smaller California parks.
Here are my $.75 cents worth (no longer "my $.02 cents worth" due to inflation)

Being from the PNW as well I have come not to trust what the Farmers Almanac and what others predict. How many times have we heard this is going to be a harsh winter, lots of snow and then we hardly see any. Lots of times.

Since schedules have been set, PTO in place, I would still go as planned. We have a trip planned for late January with the understanding we could have some bad weather and it doesn't worry me at all. Going this time of the year suits us well.

We got caught in some torrential downpours last January. Not exactly what I was hoping for but we still had an awesome time since we were prepared. Picture Northface jackets and pants. Remained perfectly dry compared to the others that bought the flimsy ponchos. And like you, I can relate to not wanting to visit DL in the rain. We deal with the rain enough throughout the year.

Here is my last $.75 cents worth. Things did get a bit sideways re your OP. Don't take it personal, there are a ton of great ppl here on the boards more than willing to help you and anyone else
It is the torrential downpours that worry me. Lol. But thank you, we will definitely bring our warm weather coats and plenty of shoes, not just ponchos. We ARE after all so excited for Christmas time at Disney.

And, thank you, things went so sideways and man, it wasn’t what I was after. I appreciate the kind response. ❤️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter