Electrical Question

Tozzie

DIS Veteran
In Europe what do I need adapters, a converter or both? I thought I only needed an adapter but I was reading something and now I am thinking I am wrong. Anyone help me. Thanks

In Europe what do I need adapters, a converter or both? I thought I only needed an adapter but I was reading something and now I am thinking I am wrong. Anyone help me. Thanks

Typically you need both so that you do not burn out your electrical appliances. Europe has a 220 voltage system while we have 110.

There are kits for Eastern and Western Europe so be sure to get the correct set of adapters. I did get away with only using the adapters though. Got lucky I did not blow anything up. Although I only used it a couple of times for a blow dryer. I was not constantly using it or I am sure I would have had problems. I was only a junior in high school and it was my first time encountering anything like that so I was not aware of how to use the adapters with the converter that came in my kit. The directions did not explain too well either.

Good information at this link: http://goeurope.about.com/cs/electricity/l/bl_electricity.htm

so far with the ABD trips all of the hotels have had hair blowers, so hopefully that won't be an issue--we bought a curling iron for my wife in Ireland which she now travels with (as it is for the higher voltage). I think all of the new laptops and cell phones all can accommodate the higher voltage when recharging--so you just need a plug adapter for your chargers.

Also check here for more info:

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

You almost never need a 'converter' for electronic items like ipods, computers, cell phones, etc. You just need an adapter. However, read the power supply of the device to make sure it can handle both 120 and 220 inputs. They all say that in fine print on the power supply.

For hair dryers and other non electronic things, you usually do need a 'converter' and 'adapter'.

When in doubt always check the requirements for each device. US is 120V/60hz and Europe is 220V/50hz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter