Embroidery Machine

MMluvsWDW

Forever Mickey's
Hey All-
I am looking at making a ton of FEs and FE gifts as we have a large family get together planned for a cruise and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on an embroidery machine (reasonably priced) that would work to do some of the disney stuff. I am just thinking that by the time I buy all the appliqués for everything I might have been better off buying a machine, but I don't know what would be best.

I have an embroidery machine. I got the brother PE 500 which has the PES file format. It only does the 4x4 embroidery but they do make machines that do bigger designs. I got my machine off amazon. I have only used brother and I feel like they are a good machine. They also sell Disney Designs for machines.
Even if you do buy a machine you are looking at shelling out extra $$ for single designs, or more if you buy a package, that's if you are looking for Disney designs. There are a lot of websites that have FREE designs...

I have a Futura XL-400 and it does the 4x4 hoop and also a 6x10. It was reasonably priced for a starter machine, and the larger hoop really comes in handy for adult shirts and more detailed designs. There's definitely a learning curve with it - I watched tons of youtube videos and read countless discussion boards to learn it. Good luck!

I have a Brother SE400. It's an embroidery machine and sewing machine combo. It does 4x4 designs. I've done quite a few Disney designs that I found online with it and I absolutely love it!

I have the Brother SE270D, a sewing machine which has some included Disney designs (and basic embroidery designs)...enough that you would have plenty of choices for kids and adults. You can buy additional Disney cards (anywhere from $65-$140 each), or you can buy an embroidery design writer (about $100) which allows you to download additional Disney designs (usually about $7 for each design). The machine was about $400, but I've had mine for almost ten years and loved every minute.

I have a Brother SE400. It's an embroidery machine and sewing machine combo. It does 4x4 designs. I've done quite a few Disney designs that I found online with it and I absolutely love it!

How do you like the Brother SE400 in general.....I'm thinking of getting it for general sewing and beginning embroidery. I feel like its gonna be addicting!

jkramer said:
How do you like the Brother SE400 in general.....I'm thinking of getting it for general sewing and beginning embroidery. I feel like its gonna be addicting!

I love it! It has so many settings that help make sewing so much faster than it was with my cheapo one before that. It has a needle threader, a thread cutting option, and you can also set the speed so that it will only go so fast with the pedal all the way down (which I loveeeee). I'm still a beginner at embroidery and this machine is super user friendly and I've been able to turn out some pretty cute stuff! There's also some neat attachments you can get...I've got my eye on the cutter foot that you can use some basic serger stitches with!

Oh, the se400 can also plug right into your computer to do .pes files - machines in the past required an extra attachment.

I have a combination sewing/embroidery machine. It's a Brother Quattro and I LOVE it. Brothers are very user friendly. I've had a Bernina, Pfaffe, Husqvarna-Viking and the Brother is definitely the easiest to use. It embroiders from tiny to large designs and includes some built in Disney designs.

So I bought the Brother SE400 and i LOVE it! I also have my eye on the cutter foot (maybe for christmas) It's a solid sewing machine, plus the embroidery feature is SOOOO cool!

Thanks for the advice!

jkramer said:
So I bought the Brother SE400 and i LOVE it! I also have my eye on the cutter foot (maybe for christmas) It's a solid sewing machine, plus the embroidery feature is SOOOO cool!

Thanks for the advice!

Yay! Enjoy your new toy!

I have 2 of the Designer 1 Husquvarna Viking machines. I LOVE them. I have used or owned embroidery a New Home/ Janome ( wore it out in less then a year...), a Pfaff (LOVED this one, lasted almost 4 years), a Bernina (I break everyone I touch...even at the stores or a Sewing show...it's me, NOT the machines!), and the Vikings are the only ones that I have had last over 10 years without any problems. I only own 2 because one uses a floppy and the new one a USB port.
I also have 4 programs to digitize my own designs...but I am really, really bad at that, so I just use them to change the designs I have bought, or make MM heads out of some of the fancy fonts, 2 little o and a big O.
There is a lady that sells really nice designs. I did find her on the DIS.. Heather Sue? Fuo-Fuo or some thing like that...hope I can say that. I have never bought from her and do not know her, but did an internet search for Disney designs for sale and she came up... love her stuff!

The best advice I have is to test drive, I mean, sew on the machines you think you will like, as I said I can't sew on a Bernia. AND if you can buy from a store that has a certified repairman in-store. That can save a lot of time, effort and money if you do need your machine fixed. I have owned a brand of machine that did not have a repair person in the town we were stationed in, and when I needed to have the machine repaired or just a 6 month cleaning/tuneup it needed to be mailed away and I was without a machine for over 3 weeks!!!

I now own 12 or so machines...only 3 can do embroidery. And, yep, I need everyone of them!

my friend (who is also on this site) has the Brother SE400. I don't think she uses it too much. I sometimes wish I got the 400 because I really hate having to go between machines and both machines take up space. I'm looking for a table/cart to put the embroidery machine on so I can do embroidery at the same time as the sewing since I can only put one machine on the table at a time.

There are many websites that offer free (and cheap) designs such as Annthegran.com. You can download 3 free designs per week. :)

I have the Brother 2000-something. Has lots of built-in Disney designs, and I bought lots of extra designs. Never did regular sewing with it.

I have a Futura XL-400 and it does the 4x4 hoop and also a 6x10. It was reasonably priced for a starter machine, and the larger hoop really comes in handy for adult shirts and more detailed designs. There's definitely a learning curve with it - I watched tons of youtube videos and read countless discussion boards to learn it. Good luck!

Could you share some of the discussion boards regarding the embroidery machines?

Also: what brand of thread do you all use?

I'm feeling a bit like a kid at Christmas at the moment! Yesterday I collected my new embroidery machine, the Brother PR1000e!
Had a little play when I got it home, but really want to get stuck in with it at the weekend (I'm back at work today, so no playing)

With ref to threads I use Madeira or Marathon. Not sure if you have either of these over the pond!

I have the Brother 2000-something. Has lots of built-in Disney designs, and I bought lots of extra designs. Never did regular sewing with it.

Could you share some of the discussion boards regarding the embroidery machines?

I like sewforum.com. After registering, scroll down to Embroidery. It's kind of a catch-all but the people there are very helpful. It's where I found information on my Brother machines. There are also yahoo groups.

Hemingworth thread is what I use. embroidery.com sells sets. They're kind of expensive but the site has 50% off sales from time to time. That's when I bought mine. I've never had Hemingworth thread break.

I'm feeling a bit like a kid at Christmas at the moment! Yesterday I collected my new embroidery machine, the Brother PR1000e!
Had a little play when I got it home, but really want to get stuck in with it at the weekend (I'm back at work today, so no playing)

With ref to threads I use Madeira or Marathon. Not sure if you have either of these over the pond!

Have fun!!!

I like sewforum. You have to register. On the homepage, scroll to where it says Embroidery. You can either search or ask questions about machines. That's here I got infor on mine.
http://www.sewforum.com

I will recommend Brother PE770 . It is the best machine which stitches larger designs appropriate for jackets, bags and home decor items. If you are already working in this field then you can easily use this and make a beautiful pattern by digitizing for embroidery. It also offers built-in memory, so you can save your designs for future use. If you are a beginner then Brother 270d will be the best for you.

:yay: froufroubyheathersue.com has the best Disney machine embroidery designs - fill, applique, all sizes and formats! Most designs are under $4 (multiple sizes) Sews out well

I also recommend brother machine. brother pe700 series better.
Many of my customers use these machines and they say it's easy to operate and get good stitch out.
=======================
GL Stitch Studio

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter