Emergency Food Supply

The stores in NJ have gotten better. There are still things that are hard to get like toilet paper, wipes and any cleaner with bleach, but I was able to get everything else I needed, including baking supplies which a few weeks ago you could not get.

@kdonnel IF I lived in an area with less reliable electricity, like some of my sisters where trees knock down electrical lines on a regular basis, store bought canned goods would definitely replace some of my frozen stores. It's all about adapting to your surroundings, advantages and disadvantages. Despite having an apt size fridge (maybe 18 cu ft?) I also have a small chest freezer that moved with us to our new digs. Our last apt had a 32 cu ft fridge plus the chest freezer and a mini fridge for drinks. The man thinks we are slumming w/o the mini fridge but I like to remind him we have lots of ice trays, and I'm not using all of them for stock storage, LOL.

@Christine Don't let others live your life for you. Stay well, safe and happy!

Who would want to eat that for three months? But yeah. You're at home with a full kitchen with utilities. At the very least I'd get cheaper and likely better tasting frozen dinners.

For the typical cost of one Mountain House entree I've been able to make enough to feed my family for two meals. And thanks to this board I've learned how to make a pretty decent white sauce which is a good starting point for lots of things. And I don't have to eat out of a Mylar pouch.

The only time I have actually ever purchased this stuff is when DS was a Scout and was backpack camping. I’ve never eaten it and hope I never get hungry enough to need it. There is only DH and me here at home so we can make do with very little if need be.

Our habits have changed drastically, it isn't overbuying for us, it is a huge shift in how much we are eating at home each day. My husband used to eat all three of his meals and snacks at work (work provided), on weekends we pretty much ate out from Friday dinner to Sunday dinner. Now, we are eating almost all of our meals and snacks at home, we order delivery once or twice a week. It is a huge shift in the amount of food we are buying, especially since my husband eats way more than I do.

That's what is doing it for me too. Before this started, we were basically a household of three. DD11 and I ate 3 meals a day here (including her packed school lunches), but DH doesn't eat breakfast when he's working and the guys take turns buying lunch so he never packs. The three of us also went out or got take out fairly often, at least twice a week. DS22 was technically living here but working 60+ hours a week and eating almost all of his meals elsewhere 6 days a week, sometimes 7 if he spent Sunday at his SO's apartment. Bonus son was living on his own, in a shared apartment with his sister, and was only here for dinner once every couple weeks. And DD18 was 2600 miles away at school.

Now all six of us are under one roof again and eating every meal at home. We were trying to order takeout from local restaurants once a week, but most around here have now closed completely because it just isn't worth stocking and staffing for the greatly-reduced customer volume and the loss of their highest-markup items (drinks) so we're not even doing that any more. So my grocery volume has skyrocketed!

"They" are recommending to shop for groceries 2 weeks at a time but again there's not even enough food at any given time for us to do that.

We're still running to the store multiple times a week as per usual because if we need 6 items to get us meals for the week then we can only find 2 even after going to 3 stores. So then we have to check in a couple of days and they will have a couple more things and a couple more days the rest.

I'm doing the same thing. I prefer to shop every two weeks, even in normal times, but between item limits and product scarcity I can't do that right now. One gallon of milk and two dozen eggs isn't going to last more than a minute with six people in the house! So I end up shopping more often than I'd like to and going to multiple stores on the day I do the big, try-to-get-everything biweekly shopping trip.

I am really surprised by all the promotions still going on whenever I go to the store. Like BOGO offers on shredded cheese. Nobody can accuse of you price gouging simply by charging the normal retail rate on something.

I am really surprised by all the promotions still going on whenever I go to the store. Like BOGO offers on shredded cheese. Nobody can accuse of you price gouging simply by charging the normal retail rate on something.

It may not be price gouging but it isn't likely to have a positive effect on customer loyalty. Most stores around me have discontinued printed sales flyers but are continuing to offer in-store sales and discounts, mostly, I think, out of a desire not to look like they're boosting the bottom line amidst record sales by charging customers more than they'd charge in ordinary times. I think even in the corporate world, there's an acknowledgement that this isn't the time for unchecked and unapologetic supply-and-demand decisions.

It may not be price gouging but it isn't likely to have a positive effect on customer loyalty. Most stores around me have discontinued printed sales flyers but are continuing to offer in-store sales and discounts, mostly, I think, out of a desire not to look like they're boosting the bottom line amidst record sales by charging customers more than they'd charge in ordinary times. I think even in the corporate world, there's an acknowledgement that this isn't the time for unchecked and unapologetic supply-and-demand decisions.

Well it's kind of counter-intuitive to have quantity limits but then offer promotions on those same items. In fact, about 3 days after this whole thing started, one of the stores I went to had some antibacterial Widnex buy 2, get 1 free. Well, my work didn't have any cleaning supplies so we were all bringing some in. I took 3 to the register. They immediately said I can only get 2. I pointed to the sign that says it's buy 2 get 1 free. They said I can only have 2. I said well then give me a 33% discount. Nope. They said you have to buy 2 in order to the third free but you can't get the third. It was such a mind numbing conversation when the easiest solution would have been to get rid of the stupid promotion to begin with.

The only time I have actually ever purchased this stuff is when DS was a Scout and was backpack camping. I’ve never eaten it and hope I never get hungry enough to need it. There is only DH and me here at home so we can make do with very little if need be.

The backpackers I’ve talked to prefer Backpacker’s Pantry. I was at a hostel by Lake Tahoe where the majority of the guests were Pacific Crest Trail thru hikers. One guy was assembling his caches on a common area table and it was mostly Backpacker’s Pantry.

I’ve had Mountain House lasagna. It was way salty, but I wasn’t too particular after a long day where all I had to do was boil water.

If everyone went out and tried to buy 3 months worth of food wouldn't that cause an epic shortage?
No. Just do a little at a time. We have a giant freezer and a spare fridge in the shop. The shop fridge only gets used on holidays when I make casseroles ahead of time and summer when the produce is going crazy. ( We grow a big garden. ). We have always stocked up, so it is more of just replenishing now. But if I had to start now I would buy an extra thing of chicken at Sam's. Next week a giant thing of ground meat. ( That would be on top of normal buying for the week. ) Also, farm supply stores and places like Walgreens have things when others don't. Just a little bit each week. Not all at once.

I am wondering why the OP is doing fear mongering regarding the food supply. People need to be rational and think clearly and calmly during this time. It is not the time to be getting everyone anxious. I like the more supportive threads helping each other through this time.

I can’t even fathom 3 months of food. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I wouldn’t know how to begin to plan that. I usually shop weekly with a quick stop for milk, bread or a forgotten item once or twice a week. I have been going once a week since mid March and have pretty much stocked up on meats, pastas & canned items. I work 2 days a week, 12 hour shifts. On those days DH gets take out or has a frozen entree for dinner. Before all this we would also get take out once a week & go out for dinner once. So I normally only cook 3, maybe 4 times a week at most. We have only gotten take out 3 times since this started, so I have been cooking more. I am on vacation this week (cancelled WDW trip :guilty:) For the first time in my life I have planned out meals for the week & written them on the calendar. I won’t make a dent in what I have in the freezer. I am not planning on any shopping for at least another 2 weeks.

I normally do all my shopping at Wegmans. When things started getting intense here, there was 1 day of a huge run on them all over. Aisles of shelves were totally empty. The other local chain never got that bad. Wegmans still seems to be having supply issues with some items. The meats have not recovered yet. At least at the store I shop at. Meat selection is still pretty limited. They had their brand paper towels 2 weeks ago, none this week. The last 2 weeks they have had some of their brand TP. Their produce is great, but pasta, sauces & canned goods are maybe half what they normally would be. No rice at all. Frozen foods we’re full this week. The other local chain is pretty much fully stocked with everything except for paper products & cleaning supplies. The contrast in their meat supplies & Wegmans has been especially noticeable. If you had gone only into that Wegmans during the last month, you would have been concerned about the food supply chain too.

The backpackers I’ve talked to prefer Backpacker’s Pantry. I was at a hostel by Lake Tahoe where the majority of the guests were Pacific Crest Trail thru hikers. One guy was assembling his caches on a common area table and it was mostly Backpacker’s Pantry.

I’ve had Mountain House lasagna. It was way salty, but I wasn’t too particular after a long day where all I had to do was boil water.

I prefer Mountain House, and it is part of our family's short and long term emergency plan.

However, you are correct that it is very salty. In the past, I have been able to use multiple MH pouches a day when hiking/backpacking/camping, with no issues. However, a couple years ago a tornado hit our city and took out one of the two transformer stations that connect the city to the rest of the provincial grid. Our area of the city had no power for a number of days. We did do a couple MH meals, but found the high salt content was way too high. We could manage one meal a day max, but really one meal every other day was probably the max we could do.

As a result we adjusted our emergency plan, which was helpful when the pandemic came along.

ETA: The power failure also caused us to lose everything in our freezer and fridge (though because we emptied them once it was clear the food was a loss due to food safety temperatures the appliances themselves were fine). While we still keep as much frozen and freezer items as before, it did cause us to add some things like more canned veggies to our plan, which we cycle through so they don't expire.

As to the OP's post. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a well-planned 3 month supply as part of a family emergency plan, if one has the means, desire, space, and a good plan for it. However, acquiring it all at once right NOW would likely be both difficult and may considered hoarding.

If one does seriously want to consider having food storage as part of prudent family emergency planning, take the time to do some research -- there are plenty of excellent resources out there -- and develop a solid plan for what you want, how you will store it, how you will use it (both cycling it through into your normal household meal planning as well as during times of emergency/disaster), etc. And how you will acquire it [usually not done all at once]. Consider an all hazards plan and different scenarios [e.g. the need to evacuate with or without notice, the need to shelter in place, SIP with and without power and/or water, etc] and how you would manage those within your plan. Again, there is a lot of information out there to help you.

Jumping into it without a well-thought out plan is a good way to spend a lot of money and end up with a lot of food that isn't necessarily that practical/functional when it comes to actually having to use it.

In terms of stores here.... eggs have been a problem; they will often have them first thing in the morning in limited amounts (not a normal shipment full) but they are gone pretty quickly. Flour and baking goods are also patchy depending on the store. Chicken is generally limited to two packages and they don't have "club" packs, so you are looking at e.g. two chicken breasts to a package or 4 if you are REALLY lucky. Pasta and rice have also had low quantities on the shelves. For rice, for example at some stores it is only the more expensive brands of rice that is still available.

Milk was an issue the first couple weeks but that seems to have been resolved. Dairy farmers here are now having to dump milk in some cases as the restaurant demand has reduced -- however, I read a story the other day how in BC the dairy farmers were able to work with the regulator and processors and get something like 40,000 litres that would have been dumped processed and donated to food banks and the other provinces are looking at trying similar things.

SW

Last edited:
....well good thing DS didn't get inspired by Cheryl Strayed...not that I recommend that as Mountain house primer.

The backpackers I’ve talked to prefer Backpacker’s Pantry. .

....but how was the top Ramen noodles??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter