Emrils, Creating False-Demand?

Jon360

Mouseketeer
After having read so many posts about how difficult it is to get a reservation at Emrils, I've wondered why the restaurant just doesn't add more tables by the bar and it's upstairs seating area's.

I think if they used all of these area's, it would not be so hard to get a reservation. I mean if the restaurant is so successful, add more tables! Right now if I had to estimate, I would say they only have 25-30 tables in use during lunch and dinner! The small number of tables creates a false demand making the restaurant book up much faster than restaurants with larger capacities.

I also have had experiences where I've called Emrils from my room at Hard Rock and asked if they can seat me, they say they have nothing available at all. Then 5 minutes later I walk over, and they are able to seat me because they just happen to have an open table.

This has happened to me once for lunch and once for dinner.

The fact that over the phone they refuse me but in person they suddenly have tables available makes me think they are trying to uphold the image that they are always full and incredibly hard to get into when that is not always the case.

What do you guys think?

Thats funny. I've asked the same question to some managers of major restaurants in South Florida. Here in Plantation, we have a place called Alexanders. It's always packed, even late in the evening. When you pay, they give you a book that has your bill. I accidently left my credit card in it, called the next day, went early, got it back and asked a manager why they don't build a bigger restaurant. They said it cost too much money, that the building costs 1 million. The other reason is athmosphere. When you're in the restaurant, it feels a little bit like a home, like a ski resort or some nice place. If the place is huge like a cafeteria, then that charm goes away.
Next, it was Outback Steakhouse, they're always packed. So much that I never even think of eating in anymore. If you haven't noticed, they have curbside service, where you order in advance and pick up the food from your car. The first time I did this, they still had some problems. They told me the food would be ready in 20 minutes, but it was a 10 minute wait in my car. I sent an e-mail sounding off about wait times and asked why they can't build a bigger restaurant. The CEO of the South Florida division called me and explained it. First of all, they can't simply add more tables because then the kitchen can't support them. They'd have to build a bigger kitchen. The manager then explained that they've tried to build bigger Outbacks, but then the mystique goes away and less people show up. They can't explain why this happens, it just does. It's like he agreed with everything I said, but for some reason, they just can't make the restaurants bigger. It was quite a phone call, because I was sitting at work, and then this person calls giving me all the answers and agrees with me on all my points, but says that's the way it is. Then I get a letter from him a few days later with a couple blooming onion cards in it, and then realize I was talking with a CEO.
In the case of Emrils, I'm sure it's a mystique thing. They want people to think it's hard to get in, and if you walk up and a table is ready, then you feel lucky, like wow, we got in.

It may also have to do with the amount of staff they have. I am sure that they would rather have fewer tables open, and be able to provide excellent service, than to have all of the tables open, and having servers who don't have time to give the guest the time of day!

Well, here I come to offer my two cents. Being in the food service, and also working at Universal, I know the reason. Though Emeril's is GROSSLY over rated, they are still a fine dining restaraunt. Show me a TRUE fine dining restaraunt w/ more than 50 tables, and I'll shut my mouth. What justifies the prices those restaraunts charge is the intimate setting and attentive service. You can go to any chain store w 100 or moretables and you don't expect much. But when you go to an exclusive establishment like Emeril's that is extremely hard to get in, you fell special and are willing to fork over the extra dough.

And remember, the more tables, the more stress on your friendly everyday cooks. You can't add more tables and expect the same ticket times w/o expanding the kitchen and adding more equipment, a very expensive and time consuming process.

As far as an explanation on denied seating one moment and a table the next, they book tables 6 months in advance usually. I believe they ask you to confirm your resie that day or the day before. If you don't do so, are late or don't show up for your resie, they hand the table over to standbys. Thsi happens alot.

Hoep that helps.

After eating at Mythos, I don't think I could go back to Emeril's. However, I hope the Second Cook can tell the chefs to pull up their pants. One had a butt crack bigger than a plumber's! I wanted to tell someone, but I was too busy giggling. Sorry... I think it's time for a belt! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter