Epi Pens and Airlines

MudEJeep

Mouseketeer
Not sure if this belongs here or on transportation.....Moderators please move if needed.

I have a daughter with severe food allergies. What has been your experience getting through security with liquid Benadryl and Epi pens? What will I need for documentation (if anything) when we board? When I filled her prescription last year, I cut the label off the box , but then threw the box away. It just seems easier to get around without all of the boxes for her meds (also has rescue inhaler for asthma). I keep her emergency meds in a fanny pack and just grab it whenever we leave the house. I am flying American Airlines at the end of the month.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure you've got your EpiPens labeled with the pharmacy labels (if you need to, go to the pharmacy where you filled the prescription and ask them if they can reprint it for you to put on for flying... most pharmacies are very used to that). For the liquid benadryl, take the label you cut off, but also, I'd recommend getting a copy of the prescription for both the benadryl and the EpiPens to have with you, "just in case". I flew with mine (EpiPens & benadryl capsules) last October with no problems. Just declare them as soon as you get there (don't let it go through the screeners and then tell them, be up front with them from the get go), and you shouldn't have any problems.

Enjoy the Magic!

I am an insulin dependant diabetic meaning I give myself daily shots with a pen enclosed needle. Also have a few scripts I take as well. Also carry a glucometer which often sets off store secirity at exit doors (wierd I know)

Also have traveled with DD5months on a heart moniter and lots of meds.

Several flights later, we have never had a problem (even after 9/11) just tell them as you step up to security and they will not put anything like that through the scanner. Once was asked to hand over for physical inspection but they never touched our meds or devices, just unzipped carrying cases for a look see.

My DDiL travels with an Epi pen for our DGS's fatal peanut allergies (2 scary close calls for DGS, so very severe allergy) Again, no problem except that they got some bad info from one airline, had to switch airlines at last minute and did get compensated on one airliine and treated like it was somehow their fault for flying on the other?

anywho, I second having your meds all together and labeled from pharmacy. Don't think you would need a Doc's note tho, I never had one?

Have a great trip!

Again, no problem except that they got some bad info from one airline, had to switch airlines at last minute and did get compensated on one airliine and treated like it was somehow their fault for flying on the other?

What bad info did you get from the airline? Thanks

My DD7 has severe food allergies as well. Each time we fly I get a letter from her doctor stating that it is medically necessary for her to have EpiPens with her at all times, especially during flights. I have been asked to produce this letter more than once at MCO airport. In addition, I always ask to board the plane in advance of all passengers to wipe down my daughter's seat, tray and the seats and trays of the passengers surrounding her seat.

DVCDawn:tinker:

I am diabetic and recently travelled with an injectible medication that must be refridgerated. I have a special insulated med pouch that holds too cold refridgerated gel packs, the injection pens, medication, etc. The first time I flew, I kept the gel pouch in my hand carryon luggage, which resulted in them taking extra time to search my carryon. They told me the best thing to do next time is to keep the smal bag containing my injectible meds seperate from eveything else when you go through the security line. Just like you might put your shoes, jacket, purse in a security bin for thee conveyor belt, put the medication in its own bin. You should have the label from the RX with the medication. This way its easy for hem to see exactly what you have and they don't have to stop and go therough your handbag or carryon. I've done it this way for 3 more flights and never had a problem.

:thumbsup2 Thanks to everyone for all of the good info! I already travel with the meds separately in a fanny pack, and am working on getting printouts from Wagreens for all the scripts. The idea for keeping all in a ziplock for easy viewing ia a great idea.

Thanks again!

I know I'm late chiming in here, but wanted to add my 2 cents anyway. I've flown with my food allergy son tons of times w/o any problems. Our allergist gave us an RX for 2 sets of Epis so I kept one in the box (that's the one that stays home usually) and took the other out for easier carrying (that's the diaper bag one). When we fly, I take the one with the box. I also have a not from the allergist that I keep in the box so I never have to remember where I put it. When we go through security, I tell them up front that I have an Epi and liuid Benadryl for my food allergy son (he also has a MedicAlert braclet). I don't usually keep the Benadrly in a zip lock, I always forget, and they never checked my bag even once!! Good luck!

I always travel with my epi-pen and have never even been asked about it. I just keep it in my purse and have never had a problem and I have been through airports in Chicago, Phoenix, Jamaica, Milwaukee, Orlando Texas and even a few more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter