Even miracles take a little time... the canceled trip that finally happened! September 2022 Trip Report

I am so glad that you started your report in the “completed” forum, or I never would have found it. I love that you take a narrative approach rather than lots of pictures of food. I feel as though I am right there with you. We also took a DW trip with a non-DW person, and agree that it will never EVER happen again. I look forward to reading about the rest of your trip - thanks for posting.

They opted not to evacuate, but fortunately their condo is located on the second floor and their particular unit made out okay. The first floor units had 4 feet of standing water, oooof! Their car was also somehow miraculously spared, though I'm really struggling to imagine a scenario that doesn't at least result in electrical damage considering aforementioned 4 feet of standing water...... but who knows.

IN LAWS' HURRICANE UPDATE: Turns out their car did in fact have electrical damage (whodathunk? :laughing:) and was totaled. Thankfully they can afford to replace it before they receive their $ from insurance so it's not a huge inconvenience for them.

I didn’t know you could get a haircut at MK! Disney with 3 generations? Wow! I think your family did great. And I’m glad FIL rode that horse! Show the kids how it’s done :).

9/13/22 - Park Day 5 (Magic Kingdom), continued

Where we last left off, we were debarking our Jungle Cruise & leaving half of our group to ride the Magic Carpets, while DD3 and I made our way to Splash & Big Thunder Mountains. Matt & my in-laws were ready to go I think, but I was seriously dragging my feet, not wanting to leave my favorite park for the last time of the trip. On our way to Frontierland, we realized we had just walked up to a parade! It was so magical, DD3 got a front row spot by total coincidence and got to see a few of her favorite ladies - Mulan, Mirabelle, Judy Hopps, Merida, and a few others. It was just her and I and I loved that special 1:1 time getting to see the magic through her eyes. We only caught the tail end of it, so it was brief but so so special. Next trip I will definitely make parades more of a priority.

After the parade concluded, we hauled booty over to Big Thunder only to discover it was closed :( Waaah! Poor DD3 would not get one "final" ride after all. We headed instead toward Splash. Just as we were entering the queue, Matt called with an absolutely SCREAMING DS2 in the background, saying DS2 had been bitten or stung by something while in line for Carpets. Matt got a little huffy with me (I think wanting me to exit the queue and join them) but I instructed him to head to the First Aid station by Casey's. We were racing through the LL queue to get to the boat so shortly after we hung up DD3 and I were already on our boat. He called me at some point before the big drop (I answered via my watch which I feel a little bad about, thinking it rude to answer a phone call in the middle of a ride in front of other guests but I wanted to answer quick to make sure everything was OK) and told me that the First Aid team applied Benzocaine on the sting/bite and made him a nice little ice pack and sent them on their way. We still don't know what exactly happened, a hornet/wasp stung him? It was right in his armpit so an odd location for a bug to be (plus they were in the brief queue for Magic Carpets when it happened, so not exactly near vegetation) but who knows. All I know is it was red, inflamed, and just plain angry looking. Poor kid! As for DD3 and I, we enjoyed our last ride of the trip - Splash Mountain.

1666104531100.jpeg
After we got off the ride and were walking to the exit, I realized Matt had texted me a few times asking where they should go next, then saying that they were heading toward the exit, and then saying that they found a bench near the exit and to meet them there. Feeling bad for DS2 (and also wanting to use up more of our Disney gift card..... and if I'm being completely honest, also wanting to delay our park exit) DD3 and I stopped on our way to visit Main Street Confectionary to pick up a sweet treat to hopefully make DS2 feel a little better. I was savoring every last moment in my favorite place on Earth. DD3 wanted one of those massive lollipops to which I said "Um. How about something else?" and pointed her instead toward the baked goods. I tried convincing her to choose a yummy cookie or cupcake or cake pop (with the hopes that I would get to enjoy some too) but instead she wanted a chocolate covered marshmallow, sigh.

giphy.gif

So we got one of those, a giant Mickey shaped chocolate chip cookie for Matt, and as a last second impulse buy a bag of Mickey & friends gummies.
1666104513785.jpeg 1666104564534.jpeg
These pics are from after getting home, so you can see the cookie broke in transit. Still cute though!

We met the others (Matt still a little huffy), but DS2 was sleeping so DD3 didn't get to show him the treats she picked out for him. We instead joined the huge throngs of people heading toward the exit since it was just about 6pm and the park was closing for the Halloween party. We had to wait a bit for the monorail, but finally got on and made our way to the TTC.
1666104638119.jpeg
1666104646833.jpeg

Sad faces as we say 'Bye' to Disney World!

It was at some point during that trek that Matt explained that he was upset that I didn't ditch the ride and join him to help with DS2. I felt guilty and like a bad mom, but the rational part of me was trying to justify myself, saying "what could I have done that you weren't doing already?" But I of course get his point. Parenting is hard and going at the extra hard parts alone and without a second set of hands is even harder. Even if there isn't anything I could have done, it would have been better if we went at it together. I said I was sorry, and everything was fine. Poor DS2 was still zonked out in the stroller and stayed asleep for the transfer from stroller to car seat as well as the whole drive back to the resort. Upon returning to the resort, he woke up and DD3 was excited to show him & share the treats she picked out. He was clearly feeling better, and the nap had done him good. We spent the rest of the evening doing laundry, attempting to pack/organize, and generally get our stuff together. It was hectic! We had my in-laws bring 2 carry on suitcases of stuff + 1 reusable grocery bag filled with the kids' floaties etc., and even though at the time of packing I was okay with all of those items staying with them until April 2023 (when they return from FL > MN) in that moment I decided I wanted to try to take as much of it home with us as I could. We had decided that we would just deal with the chaos of navigating the airport with 2 carry on suitcases, 2 car seats, 2 big back packs, 1 small backpack, 2 miniature lunchboxes, 4 water bottles, 2 travel pillows, 2 stuffed animals, and 2 toddlers. Oof! We knew it would be tough, but figured in the long run would be worth it.

TOTAL STEPS: 22,042

Up next: Departure day! :(

Last edited:
9/14/2022 - Departure Day :(

Our flight wasn't until 3pm, and we had gotten the late check out (11:30am) so we had no alarms set this day. We actually managed to sleep in until 7:30! It was glorious. Of course DS2 woke up with his usual "I'm hungry!" so I got out of bed with him & let Matt & DD3 sleep for another 20 minutes while I made coffee & got breakfast ready. We had barely touched the dozen eggs I had bought (intended for hard boiled eggs but never made) so I took those and the chicken sausage Matt had grilled the other day and heated them on the stove. I was going to make toast when I realized I better plan ahead for lunch & make sure we each had enough bread for sandwiches. So I got out Ziploc baggies and set aside 2 pieces of bread in each bag for the 4 adults & 2 kids, plus 2 pb&j sandwiches for the airplane ride home. That only left 2 pieces of regular bread and the "butts" or heels of the loaf, whatever you call them. I honestly did not for one second think that any of the adults would be bothered by eating those "butts", especially considering FIL grew up in the aftermath of the Great Depression on a farm in North Dakota... so I made the two pieces of regular bread into toast for the kids to have with their eggs & sausage. Our group had finished eating by the time my in-laws came out, and when FIL realized all that was left were the butts he had a huge fit. He gestured to the bags of bread for our lunch ("I suppose I'm not allowed to touch these"), which I tried to explain my rationale that we needed to think ahead for lunch since we would be kicked out of the hotel and needed to take our lunch "to go" but still, the 80 year old continued his temper tantrum. Part of me felt bad, but the other part of me thought "uh, what? you are a grown adult who should very well understand the reasoning behind this and put the 2 & 3 year old children first" but maybe when you've been without kids for 60+ years you forget? Or get used to having the best of everything? Either way, I knew I only had to deal with this for a few more hours so I did my best to once again not let it bother me and his temper sizzled out eventually.

After breakfast, the kids lounged around playing with their bubble wands on the patio, watching TV, playing with toys, and generally being kids while the adults scrambled to get the last-minute things gathered and laundry finished, the rentals ready to be brought down to the front desk for pick up, etc. We also had to sort through all of the uneaten groceries (which surprisingly wasn't that much)... and fill up the insulated cooler bags my in-laws had brought so they could take the food home. Score for not throwing away any food! I prepared our lunch (deli meat sandwiches, pretzels/snacky items that we had brought on park days, yogurt/apple sauce, etc.) and at 11:30am we said goodbye to our room & made our way to the van to fill it up with our luggage. The plan was to take our lunch "to go" and spend the next hour at the playground, killing time before we needed to head to the airport. We arrived at the resort's playground only to find out that there were construction workers doing some sort of renovating to the building just behind the playground, and I assume to avoid dealing with any fallen debris or potential risk to guests, they closed the playground. Oops! Sorry kids, pack it back up and get back in the van :laughing: We realized however that our wristband (AKA keys) were no longer active, so we needed to discreetly follow in behind another family so that we could sit inside the lobby area of one of the towers closest to the playground, and ate our lunch there. It was very obvious that both of my in-laws were more than ready to be home and away from the chaos and noise that accompanies young children. Partially because of this, we ate quickly and left for the airport even though it wasn't even noon and our flight wasn't until 3.

The drive from hotel > airport was uneventful, and soon enough Matt & I found ourselves attempting to figure out how we were going to haul all our stuff through MCO while Matt's parents said their goodbyes to the kids, knowing they wouldn't see them until April. Like I said, I think they were ready for the break but also knew that they would miss them over the winter. As I hugged both my in-laws goodbye, I told them both "I hope you at least had a little fun" which I didn't really get an answer but Matt later told me that they said they did. Were they telling the truth? Who knows. It honestly didn't seem like they did but maybe deep down they enjoyed themselves at least a little. As magical as it was for me, the mom, getting to see my kids' excitement I would imagine it would at least be a similar feeling as a grandparent.. so even if they didn't have fun for themselves hopefully they at least enjoyed that aspect.

After waving them off, we headed inside the airport and made our way to security. The airport looked deserted, it was so empty! I even paused for a second as we approached the solitary TSA worker, thinking momentarily that we were entering a "staff only" zone or something- that's how quiet it was. Realizing we were in fact in the right place, we made our way through security quickly and painlessly (with the exception of my heavy duty Hydroflask water bottle falling off the belt and getting massive dings/dents as a result 😭) and I was thanking my lucky stars that with all our luggage, we didn't also have to navigate stressful crowds and the pressure of moving quickly. Small blessings on our last day! The only "negative" that happened on our trek through the airport was as we were approaching the "fake O rail". We were first in line to enter the very first car of the tram, yay for my kids getting to experience what I remember being so magical as a kid! Acting like they're flying as they sit on the little bench in the very first car. But as we were entering the tram, a group of 3 older adults (40s/50s?) who actually looked to be MCO employees brushed past us and took the bench. Uhhh... what. Seriously, why does this keep happening?! Matt & I attempted to hook one elbow around the poles, using our hands to try to keep our kids, all our luggage, and car seats from toppling over. All while looking at the group of adults like this, me with or without the same hairdo:

giphy.gif

Tiny disappointment aside, we got to our gate with hours to spare. Matt thought we deserved a beer so he went to the closest restaurant to try to get us one. Turns out he had some issues finding one that would give him beers "to go" which as I type this out makes me chuckle because why on earth would any restaurant be OK with you taking alcohol to go?! But apparently he found one restaurant (I want to say it was Outback Steakhouse?) that was willing and put our beer in a plastic cup. Returning to the gate triumphant, all we had to do was keep the kids occupied for the next couple hours and wait for our particular flight's gate agents to arrive. Delta had seated all 4 of us separate from each other, and obviously that wasn't going to work so I needed to meet with them as soon as they showed up to explain our predicament. Even though I know it would never happen, it always makes me laugh to imagine the poor sap who would sit down in their hypothetical seat, ready for a pleasant flight only to look over and see a solo DS2 occupying the seat next to him. I picture DS2 to look something like this as the unsuspecting victim takes his seat:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Once the gate agents arrived, the best they could do was seat us 2 and 2, so Matt was again paired with DS2 and I was with DD3 a couple rows behind them. This was fine by me (remember DS2's history of motion sickness & my awful vomit phobia). As we waited to board, the kids played on the super old iPad we use for flying and enjoyed several snacks. Being 4 hours since lunch, I knew they would likely be hungry on the flight so I saved those pb&j sandwiches, and thankfully there was no peanut allergies onboard so they were able to eat them without issue.

1666106527871.jpeg

The flight home was also mostly uneventful, and thankfully both kids slept for a decent chunk of the flight. I even got to semi-watch the 2nd in the series of Fantastic Beasts! Despite being a massive HP nerd, I somehow (I blame you, kids) had not yet seen the second or third of those movies, Crimes of Grindelwald I believe? So I tried watching the second movie but had many interruptions thanks to DD3. She had some ear pain with the descent and I felt so bad for both her and our surrounding passengers- it's never fun to hear a crying kid but I obviously cared more about my daughter being in pain. We tried all the tricks, drinking water, sucking on a little Dum Dum, chewing & swallowing snacks, etc. but nothing was working. Poor girl. I think she too just wanted to get home and get off this airplane.

After we landed her pain subsided and she was back to being a happy kid. I texted my mom telling her we landed (that is our protocol with flights- since we live so close to the airport it always works out that if you text the person picking you up the second you land, they leave a few minutes after that, and they arrive with little to no waiting around time with both of us arriving at the Baggage Claim area at the same time). As we approached the Baggage Claim, my dad called me and asked where we were. I told him which carousel, and soon enough I saw him approaching. The kids were THRILLED to see him! And he was just as excited to see them. I swear, watching your parents turn into grandparents is one of the sweetest, most precious things to witness. Especially if your dad is like mine, a big tough guy who suddenly morphed into a giant teddy bear as soon as his first grandchild was born.

As we were leaving the airport my parents asked if we wanted to come to their house for dinner or if we would rather just go straight home. Not having anything in my fridge, I of course took them up on their offer and we headed to their house for burgers. It was nice to be able to relax and not worry about my kids annoying anyone or be bothered by their giggles & squeals or typical sibling/toddler antics. After dinner, my mom drove us the short 3 minute jaunt home & we went straight to bed - not bothering with unpacking or anything until tomorrow. The perks of having in-unit laundry at your resort, all of our clothes were clean!

The next morning, DD3 woke up with minor congestion and just to be safe we decided to give her a home COVID test, remembering both my weird day of a scratchy throat as well as knowing that we had just spent the last week in a giant cesspool of germs. Her symptoms were so minor I really didn't think she would be positive, but sure enough... two lines. Uh oh! Working in a hospital, we have pretty strict guidelines on COVID protocols and Matt and I knew that even though we didn't have any symptoms we would have to be tested before we could return to work. Sure enough, our PCRs the hospital administered on us that day both came back positive. Here we go again, COVID round 2.

We spent the next week in isolation, thankfully Matt & I both able to work from home while we tried to keep the kids occupied with crafts and activities and endless Disney movies. Not a super great way to end our vacation, but 1) I was thankful it was the END of our vacation and not the beginning, and 2) it was a small price to pay for the amazing lifetime memories we made at The Most Magical Place on Earth. Our experience with COVID this time around was thankfully SO minor, seriously either no symptoms or super mild symptoms the entire quarantine and like I said, a small price to pay for the wonderful vacation we had just completed. Considering how rough DD3 had it in November 2021, it was a huge relief that she (DS2 as well) didn't have so much as a single fever this time. It was so manageable, we didn't even take her in to the pediatrician so when I brought her for her yearly exam the other day they were shocked when I said "oh yeah, and we had COVID again mid-September". I of course now feel sick to my stomach with guilt knowing we didn't have the kids wear masks in the airport (felt futile after being in Disney all week), but my only saving grace is that they weren't symptomatic so not coughing and hopefully not spreading droplets all over town. Either way I feel awful. My parents and Matt's parents never tested positive though so that is also a minor saving grace.. they spent hours with us (giving hugs and kisses, too!) and were fine so hopefully the strangers we passed in the airport/sat near in the airplane would fare just as well.

I have to run now but do have a few more final thoughts & tips/tricks I want to share for travelers of a similar dynamic so I will hopefully post those later this week!

Thanks all for sticking around and I hope you enjoyed my crazy, chaotic, lengthy Trip Report!!

Last edited:
It was at some point during that trek that Matt explained that he was upset that I didn't ditch the ride and join him to help with DS2. I felt guilty and like a bad mom, but the rational part of me was trying to justify myself, saying "what could I have done that you weren't doing already?" But I of course get his point
Well I will preface this by saying of course I understand tempers being high while at Disney, but this seems a totally unreasonable thing to be huffy about. You are not a bad mom because you wanted to give your daughter one last ride at Disney while your son was with a perfectly capable caregiver. Sure, Matt drew the short stick for the moment, but that happens sometimes. I am glad you were able to squeeze that last ride in, and hopefully the tension was short lived. But never feel like you are a bad mom for something like this!
Edited to add: you are a saint when it comes to dealing with your inlaws. I would have moved my family to a Motel 6 before staying with these two.

Well I will preface this by saying of course I understand tempers being high while at Disney, but this seems a totally unreasonable thing to be huffy about. You are not a bad mom because you wanted to give your daughter one last ride at Disney while your son was with a perfectly capable caregiver. Sure, Matt drew the short stick for the moment, but that happens sometimes. I am glad you were able to squeeze that last ride in, and hopefully the tension was short lived. But never feel like you are a bad mom for something like this!
Yes you are absolutely right! I think too that as moms we're held to such an expectation of being comfort givers & owie-kissers that when something happens & mom is not around, dad (& everyone else) sort of panics like there is something magical that could have done to fix it had I been there... and everyone just needs those little reminders that (like you said) he was with a perfectly capable caregiver and sometimes you're just on your own!
Edited to add: you are a saint when it comes to dealing with your inlaws. I would have moved my family to a Motel 6 before staying with these two.

And yes I definitely thought about it a few times throughout the trip, lol! It's funny because just Matt & I had stayed with them in FL for a kid-free weekend in December 2021 and I had said to Matt "next time we'll be getting our own hotel" but clearly 9.5 months was juuuuust enough time to forget all those headaches ;) Suffice it to say though that we will not be doing Disney or any other high-stress (weird saying that, isn't it? Vacations should not be stressful lol) vacation with them again. Beach vacations only.... if even that :laughing:

Okay, you didn't ask for them & you probably didn't even want them BUT I'm going to share them anyway ;) Here are my biggest tips & takeaways from our trip.

To recap, here are our particular details/dynamics:

• The WHO: 30 year old wife (me), 40 year old husband, 2 year old son, 3.5 year old daughter. 82 year old grandpa (my father in law), 74 year old grandma (my mother in law).
  • The WHEN: September 7th-14th, 2022 (arrived 2 days after Labor Day)
  • The WHERE: stayed offsite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. 10-15 minute drive to each park.
  • The WHAT: regular, non park hopper tickets, Genie+ purchased (we bought in advance for our whole trip before the rule change occurred) for all 5 park days, Memory Maker purchased in advance as well.
  • The BUDGET: $4k for our family of 4 (which is pretty much spot on with what we ended up spending on everything- hotel, airfare from MN, park tickets, rentals, parking, groceries for the hotel as well as food/drinks in the parks)
My opinions on….

*AGES OF TRAVELERS: I feel like this was the perfect age for our kids. The excitement, the wonder, the magic- it was all there! There were so many times I found myself teary-eyed, just feeling so unbelievably lucky to witness the magic through their eyes. Was it tough with two toddlers? Sure. But sometimes we have just as tough of a time walking through Target or even sitting in our own living room.. So why not take those challenges on the road & create lifetime memories? If not for the kids (I know the naysayers will argue “they won’t even remember it!”), then definitely for me. I know without a doubt that I will never forget this trip. So in my opinion, the ages of 2 & 3 were perfect. Now my in-laws… that is a different story. They struggled. We rented an ECV for my FIL and that had its own list of challenges (increased time for him to find parking, him navigating the crowds & people who stop right in front of him, his own occasionally-scary driving, worrying about him flying down the 6” gap between the monorail & the station, etc.) and advantages (having an entire monorail car to ourselves, front row seating for shows, handicapped parking at the parks, etc.) but even with the scooter this trip took a huge toll on both of them. The heat was intense, it was a LOT of walking, and even the crowds (which were low) were overwhelming for them. Everyone’s mobility and stamina are obviously different, but just sharing our experience for you to keep in mind when traveling with elderly grandparents.

*THE RESORT (Wyndham Bonnet Creek): we rented via VRBO, and holy moly was this place absolute perfection. There is no way I’ll stay elsewhere (unless of course I win the lottery 🤪) for future trips. If you are on a budget and can’t afford to stay onsite (or just don’t want to! Rooms & living space aplenty, amenities galore… this place way outranked the AoA family suites), THIS PLACE IS FOR YOU. It had everything- and I mean everything. A full kitchen (stocked with everything you need! Pots, pans, blender, coffee maker (& filters), dishwasher, soap, wash cloths, sponges, paper towel), in-unit laundry (soooooooo nice! I was able to bring half the amount of clothes since I knew I could wash our sweaty clothes & re-wear them in subsequent days!), 5 pools, a lazy river, a playground, crafts and activities/shows, an ice cream shop & countless bars/restaurants, the staff were SO above and beyond helpful (helping us unload our groceries stands out in my mind, as well as the mishap with our stroller/ECV/rain cover being misplaced- bell services did not stop until the missing items were found). Bottom line: this place is the shizz. We will 100% for sure be back.

*STROLLER SET UP: The double stroller we rented came with: a drink holder/parent console (holds 3 beverages), child snack trays, stroller bag hook, cooler bag, & a rain cover. I bought a cheap cloth "over the door shoe organizer" on Amazon & cut it in half, sewed the two halves together and zip tied them to the stroller handle. The goal here was to have the most frequently accessed items in our stroller basket/park bag more easily accessible. We kept it empty until inside park for easier stroller collapsing/assembly as well as for security/bag checks. Once inside, we used it to hold: sunscreen (avoiding direct sunlight obviously), napkins & wipes, non-melting snacks, my kids hats, sunglasses, and Mickey ears as they would take them off throughout the day, etc. It was nice to not have to dig through a backpack every time we needed wipes (often) but I understand this could have made for easy pickings for WDW thieves. Use your own discretion- we never had anything taken, but also didn’t bring anything of value 🤷‍♀️ & also didn’t visit Disney Springs this trip, which seems to be a hotter spot for thieves than the parks themselves. Also on the topic of “stroller set up”, I brought a ton of sippy cup leashes/straps- we used them for attaching things to the stroller we didn’t want the kids to accidentally drop. Their water bottles, pouches filled with pre-portioned bags of goldfish/pretzels/carrots etc., fans, that sort of thing. You could also use a pacifier clip too- anything to avoid your kid dropping their water bottle 500x a day, amiright?!

*OUR PARK STRATEGY: we flew in on a Wednesday and knew we wanted to avoid the parks on the weekends if possible. Not sure if there’s much rhyme or reason to that nowadays, but it made sense to us and to an extent, it worked. We initially had planned:
  • Thursday MK
  • Friday AK (this was a MNSSHP day so we anticipated higher crowds at AK)
  • Saturday Epcot (mom & dad only, no kids 🎉)
  • Sunday Rest Day
  • Monday DHS
  • Tuesday MK (MNSSHP day so we anticipated lower crowds at MK this day)
((As you may recall that's not how it ended up working out, since that storm on Day 1 caused us to shift our plans to visiting MK again on Friday and skipping AK this trip. 😭))

Our kids wake up early (6:30am most days) & go to bed early (7:30pm) so we knew (offsite) rope dropping made sense to us. We also knew we wouldn’t make it to fireworks, but that’s okay. This won’t be our only trip, so we were okay with avoiding the shoulder to shoulder anxiety inducing crowds during fireworks and being in bed at that time instead. Whatever works for your family!

*GENIE+ STRATEGY: We had Genie+, but hardly needed it due to crowd levels. But in the afternoons & at the busier parks (HS & Epcot) the times we did need it… yes I’d say it was worth it. Using it is pretty intuitive once you’re in the parks, but I still recommend studying ahead of time. Watch YouTube videos, join the Facebook groups, watch the trends in the weeks before you go. Learn which rides sell out and when, and watch the wait times so you don’t “waste” a LL when the ride has a 5min standby. The first half of our first day we wasted tons of LL since they were all walk-ons. My kids wanted to go back on rides later in the day and we couldn’t since by then they had a longer wait time & we had already used a LL. Because of the ages of our kids, our Genie+ strategy was the old FP “tap & grab” method to avoid as much waiting in lines as possible. Doing this, we didn’t go for “big hitter” rides, and focused instead on little rides, which had the most LL availability… but also in turn often had the shortest wait times. So it was kind of a flop because of the time of year we traveled (especially with 2 of our MK days being MNSSHP days which also resulted in lower crowds & wait times) but if it were busier I would 100% recommend. I guess overall, my biggest Genie+ tip would be to not use a LL if a ride has a <15 min standby wait time. Save the LL for the afternoon (assuming it’s available) when the wait times are longer.

MY RANDOM TIPS/TRICKS:

- Bring one good quality pair of tennis shoes (my recommendation is listed later), and one good pair of sandals. Keep a plastic bag with the sandals, your ponchos, your stroller’s rain cover (if applicable) in the bottom of the stroller or in your park bag. Call this “the rain bag”. As soon as the skies start looking like it might rain, bring out that rain bag & switch out your footwear, put on the poncho & put the rain cover on the stroller. Do not wait for it to start raining- be ready ahead of time so you’re not scrambling when the skies open up. On our Epcot day we weren’t prepared and it took our tennis shoes a FULL DAY to dry out. Definitely skip the headache and bring sandals to switch into for when the rain inevitably comes. PLUS- it felt sooooo nice to switch our shoes for a few hours.

- If you don’t want to take a midday hotel rest (I highly recommend for all parks except for MK), book an ADR during the hottest part of the day (we made ours for 1:30pm) for a sit down restaurant to force yourselves to rest & get out of the heat. If TS meals aren’t in your budget, make a Mobile Order for a QS ahead of time- again forcing you to sit down and rest while the sun is beating down.

- Harmony Barber Shop: 1) DO IT. The staff were so sweet and patient, you can tell they really love their job!! 2) Pick the 12:20 time slot! My kids got the best seat in the house for the parade while they got their haircuts, and— see previous bullet point — AIR CONDITIONING! They got to watch the parade from the soft cushy barbershop chair, in the AC, and when they were done with their haircuts they got to run outside and see all the characters from super close up! No scouting out a spot, no waiting in the brutal sun, it was just perfect. Well worth the $20! **note: bring cash!! Stylists cannot accept gratuity unless it is in cash**

- Bring your own hand sanitizer. I saw maybe 1 or 2 stations throughout the parks and half the time they didn’t work. Now, that being said….. We sanitized before & after each ride, washed our hands at least every 2 hours, avoided buses, had Genie+ so avoided long queues as much as possible… and still came home with the ‘vid. Sigh.

- Bring an empty *SEALABLE* coffee mug from home if you’re a coffee drinker. Firstly, it’s hot out. Iced coffee does not stay “iced” for very long. Secondly, it would have been nice to pour our coffee in there, shut the lid & hop on a ride.

"MUST HAVE” ITEMS I use quotation marks because I bought/packed a few “must have” items that other people swore we would need and they went untouched. This is obviously very subjective, and frankly you won’t know til you’re there. So take it with a grain of salt.. but here are mine:

- Footware: our Brooks Ghost 14 (womens) & Brooks Levitate 5 (mens) were amazing. We had zero blisters, experienced zero foot pain, had zero problems. The amount of posts I saw both on the DIS & in the large Facebook groups regarding footwear had me convinced I’d have bloody stumps for feet by the end of my first day. I brought tons of moleskin (+ scissors), Body Glide, blister bandaids, baby powder, spray on deodorant, allllll the feet “hacks” and honestly did not touch any of them because our shoes + good, padded compression socks did all the work for us. We also tried to walk 2-4 miles a day for 6+ months leading up to the trip. It’s not much, but I do feel like it helped prepare our feet (& break in our shoes!) somewhat.

1666290289548.png

- Backpacks: we brought one large backpack for our “just in case” items we didn’t need to access often (first aid items, spare outfits in case of spills, etc.) and we hung this on the back of the ECV or on the double stroller via a stroller hook, and then also brought a small backpack that I wore at all times. It was the perfect size, and held a small fan, a couple granola bars/applesauce pouches, some dum-dum suckers as an absolute emergency (which we did need to break out once when Winnie the Pooh broke down!), a couple individual Wet Ones wipes, a small pack of Kleenex, some hand sanitizer, and a bag of small fidget toys that the kids had never seen before.

1666289908186.png

- Portable charger: I only used it once, and that’s only because I found out that my Apple Watch charger was unplugged the night before and so my watch hadn’t charged. So not a “must have” in my experience (and we did have Genie+ so were on our iPhone 13s a fair amount), but I still think it’s worth taking up the minimal luggage space as a “just in case”. I can’t imagine my phone dying and not being able to take pictures or videos of my kids!

1666289866332.png

- At least 1 large (32oz) insulated water bottle, and 1 small (14oz) insulated water bottle, + carabiners to hang them. We filled ours up with ice, then topped off with water at the start of our park days. Then, throughout the day, either used the stations or asked for free ice water at the QS restaurants to refill. The ice lasted us throughout the day, and we never were without water. We also froze 2 plastic water bottles (dumping a little out first, obviously) and used those as ice packs in our lunchbox we brought with snacks for the kids. We didn’t find ourselves drinking that frozen-then-thawed water, because again we didn’t need it, but it was nice to use to pour on our cooling towels, or straight up on our heads/bodies in the blazing sun! I referenced the smaller water bottle because on our Epcot day, we want sans kids.. and obviously sans stroller! That was a challenge- going from being able to bring buttloads of stuff since we could haul it all in the stroller, to only a teeny backpack and that’s it. I used the carabiner to hook the small water bottle to my back pack, and it worked great. It obviously required more frequent filling up, but since it was Epcot… well we stopped at QS places more often anyway 😉 so we just made it a habit of every time we bought an adult beverage asking for a couple waters too. We never got hammered and never felt dehydrated either. Win win!

1666289956397.png

- Magnets: not a “must have”, but a “nice to have”.. I bought (and then forgot to bring!) magnets to affix to our celebration pins. I spent gobs of money on all of our cute outfits, and the last thing I wanted to do was put holes in them.. so the magnets would have been nice! Again, not a “must have” but if you’re like me and don’t want to ruin your daughters expensive Taylor Joelle dresses by putting holes in them… consider bringing a magnet or two!

1666289818868.png

- Clip in/barrette style ears instead of traditional headband style ears. These were so much more convenient! Zero headaches, and I could wear them on all rides (Guardian of the Galaxy included) without needing to take them off. Perfect! I got some more expensive ones on Etsy as well as some cheapies on Amazon and honestly didn’t notice a huge difference between the two.

1666290003066.png

- Misting/stroller/neck fans: we brought sooooo many fans (seriously, 6) that we ended up leaving more than half at the resort after the first park day. Here’s my two cents (again, take it as you will): bring one clip on fan per kid for while in the stroller, and one tiny one that fits in your fanny pack or small backpack. Same with the cooling towels. We had 4, and never used more than 2. BUT I’d still bring them - Even if they don’t stay *amazingly* cold for very long, they’re still refreshing.. and even when they’re not being used as actual cooling towels and are more so lukewarm washcloths, we used them to cover exposed legs when a kid fell asleep in the stroller or if our necks were exposed during a parade, etc. Did we look ridiculous? Sure. Did we care? Nope. We also never burned, so take that, sun!

1666290053148.png

1666290161642.png
1666290219177.png

- Ponchos: do not bring the cheap Dollar Store ponchos! Spend the extra $$ and invest in the ones that look more like disposable rain jackets. We stayed perfectly dry!

1666290100445.png

- Small washcloth/hand towel from the hotel. Keep this stashed somewhere and use it to wipe benches down in the early AM or after a rain shower. I can’t tell you how many times we used this!

- Stroller hooks: I don’t care if the rental company offers one, bring more. If I could have had 15 stroller hooks and not worry about the stroller tipping over, I would have. Stroller hooks & carabiners FTW!!

Sorry for the long winded post, but I learned a lot from other travelers with kids similar age to mine & if this helps one parent feel more prepared, then it will be worth the thumb arthritis I now have 😆 any questions, I’d be happy to answer!!

I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report! Thanks for sharing it with us! I can relate to the stressful in-laws as we did a huge family trip in June with my brother and his wife and my nieces, as well as my parents so the stressful in-laws on our trip were my own-laws. Ugh - never ever again! Anyway, I loved your tips and advice and you have the cutest kiddos!!! Glad you had a wonderful trip and made some great memories!!

We have the same MIL. Negative and crusty about everything and constantly questioning my parenting ability. I would never in a million years want her on vacation with me. We did it once and I needed a vacation after the vacation. You’re very brave for inviting her.
I’m sorry to hear about all the *******s you’re encountering, people are the worst.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter