Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

As a single female I am a bit hesitant about using Uber. I have rarely used cabs of any kind because I live in the suburbs. There are 2 or 3 times my upcoming trip when using a cab or Uber might be called for, my question is - where would a single rider sit with Uber? Still in the back like a cab? You didn't mention the water parks but I assume I could get a ride from Typhoon Lagoon to my resort also?

You can sit up front if youd like most if the time. You should always ask, but I never tell anyone no.If not, use the back passenger side seat.

As for waterparks,golf,and minigolf: no issues on pickup and dropoff. They all have an area for this usually right by the entrance.

We will be a party of five adults. Do I need Uber XL? I'm not sure what Uber X is. Thanks for all your info!

x is 4 passengers. Itll be a sedan. For 5 passengers, youd do an xl. Xl can do up to six and usually is a large suv with a third row, or minivan.

Sidenote for everyone: Please do not try to squeeze 5 people in a sedan. We wont take you. This includes 2 adults and 3 kids.

I'm surprised they told you that. When i worked at DRC, we had always been told Tour guests would have the buses running. Did you look at the park hours that day? Often, theres EMH in the morning and buses an hour before that starts. If thats not the case, you can certainly use a cab or uber. Short trips arent great, but sometimes its the only option ya know.

Thanks- I was surprised as well. There are EMH that day for AK beginning at 8 am, although I don't think those were known back when I booked the tour. So as long as busses start running at 6:30-6:45-ish, I think we'll make it. I would probably feel more comfortable with Uber though, just in case.

As a single female I am a bit hesitant about using Uber. I have rarely used cabs of any kind because I live in the suburbs. There are 2 or 3 times my upcoming trip when using a cab or Uber might be called for, my question is - where would a single rider sit with Uber?

Rob, thanks for the thread!
Georgina,
I drive for UBER up north. I had more security clearances with UBER than I did with most of my limo driving and other jobs. I had a local, state federal and child abuse clearance. My license, inspection, registration and insurance are monitored diligently by UBER. When you request a ride you will see my picture and also the type of car that is coming.

Feel free to text the driver, let him know where you are standing. If something makes you uncomfortable anyway, cancel the ride before you get in the car. UBER drivers I know, like myself, make it nice for our passengers. I have water, power outlets, gum, and keep my car clean, no smoking, and washed.
When I travel it is a much nicer ride and less expensive.
As for sitting, I open the rear door for the passengers.

Edited to add: Concern also works similarly for we drivers. We want to be safe. If something is wrong the trip can be stopped by either party. I have never had that happen. There is nothing as horrendous as a drunk, or two drunks especially if the are obnoxious and throw up in our car. There is a rating of passengers and drivers, we all love a 5 star. If the rating drops, I think about 4.6 the drivers Ap can/will be locked out. Then there is more training and reviews done before you account is unlocked to drive again. So they address the problem.

Last edited:
Rob, thanks for the thread!
Georgina,
I drive for UBER up north. I had more security clearances with UBER than I did with most of my limo driving and other jobs. I had a local, state federal and child abuse clearance. My license, inspection, registration and insurance are monitored diligently by UBER. When you request a ride you will see my picture and also the type of car that is coming.

Feel free to text the driver, let him know where you are standing. If something makes you uncomfortable anyway, cancel the ride before you get in the car. UBER drivers I know, like myself, make it nice for our passengers. I have water, power outlets, gum, and keep my car clean, no smoking, and washed.
When I travel it is a much nicer ride and less expensive.
As for sitting, I open the rear door for the passengers.

Edited to add: Concern also works similarly for we drivers. We want to be safe. If something is wrong the trip can be stopped by either party. I have never had that happen. There is nothing as horrendous as a drunk, or two drunks especially if the are obnoxious and throw up in our car. There is a rating of passengers and drivers, we all love a 5 star. If the rating drops, I think about 4.6 the drivers Ap can/will be locked out. Then there is more training and reviews done before you account is unlocked to drive again. So they address the problem.

Great info!

I do want to add that those amenities (water,gum,opening the door) generally dont happen here in central FL since were a bit more laid back. Generally you only see that with Select service since they arent required and it comes out of our own pockets. The clean and no smoking thing is definitely something you should expect. The minimum acceptable driver rating here is 4.6 out of 5, so its a very high bar.

Thanks for the great thread, Rob! I'm huge Uber proponent and have been actively lobbying to get Uber here in Buffalo! Looking forward to you setting the record straight on common misconceptions and misinformation about Uber that I see here frequently.

As a single female I am a bit hesitant about using Uber. I have rarely used cabs of any kind because I live in the suburbs. There are 2 or 3 times my upcoming trip when using a cab or Uber might be called for, my question is - where would a single rider sit with Uber? Still in the back like a cab? You didn't mention the water parks but I assume I could get a ride from Typhoon Lagoon to my resort also?

I'm a single female and also a frequent work traveler. I've used Uber well over a hundred times. Always sit in the backseat. Sometimes drivers strike up conversation, sometimes they stay quiet. I've never once had a bad or scary experience and would expect the odds of one occurring are about the same as they would be in a taxi. Cannot recommend it enough!

Uber is pretty much an ondemand service. At just about any time on property (even 4am) the wait time tends to be 10 minutes or less. Sometimes it goes to 15 if theres no one up by MK and theyre further down. You can google for more info on things we cant discuss here.

Related question: uberSelect, the higher-end service, is available everywhere on property except the Grand Floridian. If youd like to book that service, I reccomend setting the Poly as your pickup spot, then calling the driver to let him know you are at GF. Shouldnt be a problem and we'd be happy to do it.

Thank you. A few questions:
1. If I wanted to use Uber from Poly to Port Canaveral do you tthink my wait time would be much longer since most may want to stay in the area and not go to Port Canavaral?

2. From your post Im guessing I will have thhe drivers phone number.

3. Uber drivers have no problems with Disney cruise port drop offs, correct?
How about coming from Port to MCO? I have an 11:30 am flight so need to be off and have car waiting for me morning we disembark.

4. I can google and look at what prices would be for Uber compared to another Fl companies that drive from Disney resorts to Port?

5. Why would I need a different Uber, you mentioned UberSelect. Is that because of the distance?

Thank you so much for your help. I may very well do Uber next week once I hear from you and also google at work tomorrow. Also good to use when my dh and I go out at night.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
1. With me, i am always ok with a long trip. If you call up the driver as soon as the request goes to someone, itll speed things up if they say no. Theres usually quite a few drivers around at any given moment.

Also, I would be remiss if i didnt mention that dcl has a bus that runs as well.

2. Yes, once the request is accepted by a driver, youll see their picture, car type, and be able to call or text them.

3. No problems. On the return, I imagine you may be able to have the same person who dropped you off meet you there if needed. I also think theres a few drivers out there on the coast too. I need to do some more research on DCL though with other drivers..

4. Yes. Uber is a 50 billion company so the info should pull right up.

5. Theres three uber levels:X, Xl, and Select. Which service you go with is your decision, unless you have more than 4 people (XL cars carry up to 6, and the other two are 4 max). So it has nothing to do with the distance. Its about size and/or luxury.

1. With me, i am always ok with a long trip. If you call up the driver as soon as the request goes to someone, itll speed things up if they say no. Theres usually quite a few drivers around at any given moment.

Also, I would be remiss if i didnt mention that dcl has a bus that runs as well.

2. Yes, once the request is accepted by a driver, youll see their picture, car type, and be able to call or text them.

3. No problems. On the return, I imagine you may be able to have the same person who dropped you off meet you there if needed. I also think theres a few drivers out there on the coast too. I need to do some more research on DCL though with other drivers..

4. Yes. Uber is a 50 billion company so the info should pull right up.

5. Theres three uber levels:X, Xl, and Select. Which service you go with is your decision, unless you have more than 4 people (XL cars carry up to 6, and the other two are 4 max). So it has nothing to do with the distance. Its about size and/or luxury.

Thank yoi again! I wonder why Uner cannot pick up at GFV or GF? I may look to see approximate prices and book. Thank you about DCL bus but we want to leave at 9 am and Disney busses come later. Same for port to MCO since our flight is before 12 we need a car service.

On the return, I imagine you may be able to have the same person who dropped you off meet you there if needed.

Interesting. My buddy drives for uber in socal, and he said specifically that requests for drivers canNOT be made. So arranging a pickup like that wouldn't have been allowed b/c that's basically requesting a driver.

those amenities (water,gum,opening the door) generally dont happen here in central FL since were a bit more laid back.

Remember, though, that the travelers mainly aren't coming from central FL for WDW purposes. So you might consider at least opening the door, especially if you think people are coming from more formal states (NJ, NY, etc). Could be an extra nice thing to do! (though I personally hate anyone opening my door LOL)

Interesting. My buddy drives for uber in socal, and he said specifically that requests for drivers canNOT be made. So arranging a pickup like that wouldn't have been allowed b/c that's basically requesting a driver.

Technically speaking, there is no way to request a driver specfically through the app. However, setting up something with a specific driver is common. Basically how that would work is like this: we agree on a time and place for pickup. When i arrive and the rider is in the car, i go available, and then the rider immediately requests a ride and the system sends it to me since i am literally right there. Ive done that a bunch of times. Also works if i have two riders going different places and one is along the way, like coworkers or friends staying in diff hotels. Theyll want to do their portion of the trip under their own name, so thats how it works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter