Every Wish That We Put Into Motion.... (comments welcome!)

I speak from personal experience when I say that signing up for a marathon may not reignite your motivation. It sure didn’t work for me and the ensuing marathon was a complete torture fest.
I think this is also why I haven't signed up for any geographically closer marathons; Disney marathons are just more fun (and my only non-disney marathon involved the race organization waiting for me to pass an intersection and then tear down the signage, etc behind me) and give me "more than a marathon" to be excited about.

What about a running goal not related to a race? In 2021, I set a yearly mileage goal and that worked wonders for building the habit of running and lead to me finding the joy in it once again.

Also, a 3 min PR in a 5K would be a huge accomplishment! I’d be happy with a 3 second PR 😅.
I will freely admit that I'm in a funk right now with the seasonal stuff, and that's not helping the mid-plan wane in motivation. And PMS'ing, which makes things 1000 times worse. It's a lot of layers. I don't regret any of the runs I do right now, I'm just generally indifferent about them. There is more variety coming in the plan in a couple of weeks, but I think I might need to redo the layout of my basement so I can face the TV while I run.

On a more run-specific note, I had a 10mi long run yesterday that had a few issues crop up that were new to me.

Things that were "new" on this run:
Shoes--I wore my new SC trainers
Socks--last time I wore the new shoes, I had some weird foot discomfort and decided to try a much thinner sock (I usually wear balega blister resist which are pretty fluffy, and this time work balega hidden dry which are very very thin
Fuel--Skratch raspberry limeade in my water bottles and a lemonade huma gel (which I've had before with no issues), however, no water; I washed the gel down with the skratch. I've done a similar combo before with gels followed by nuun or liquid IV and not had a problem. I drank the remaining electrolyte mix while driving to get DD.

Things I did "wrong":
-Was probably a bit dehydrated
-Had to stop and get a rock out of my shoe and then retied the shoe too tight 4x before I got it right, costing me about 3-4min
-That time then had to be "made up" (stretched to almost 5min when I had to wait for traffic) so I would get home in time to go pick DD up from preschool, so I actually ran 7mi easy + 2mi M + 1mi almost HM. Whoopsie.

I felt OK until about an hour after my run, and then I just felt awful. Unhappy GI (which has never happened), and a massive headache.

I also seem to have gotten 2 blisters (or irritated callouses) on the outside tip of my 4th toes. I did notice during the last few miles of my run that my 4th toe felt like it was kind of folding/curling under during my foot strike, but I wasn't sure if I was imagining it. Today the right toe looks normal, but the left toe has a white-ish patch on that spot, but it isn't loose/detached like I would expect a blister to be. Maybe it's like a friction burn? These shoes feel very different from my 1080s, but not bad-different (if that makes sense.)

I felt OK until about an hour after my run, and then I just felt awful. Unhappy GI (which has never happened), and a massive headache.
Did you refuel/rehydrate after your run? When I've done a long run and had an upset stomach a while later, it's because I didn't eat anything and then I felt awful when I did try to get something down. I've had the headache too, but for me that's usually when it's hot and sunny and I don't have enough water and/or electrolytes.

Did you refuel/rehydrate after your run? When I've done a long run and had an upset stomach a while later, it's because I didn't eat anything and then I felt awful when I did try to get something down. I've had the headache too, but for me that's usually when it's hot and sunny and I don't have enough water and/or electrolytes.
yeah. I had more of a different electrolyte drink, and ate dinner a few hours after that and was fine after eating. Like you, I have only experienced the headache during really hot runs and needing more water and electrolytes, and it happened during the run.

It makes me wonder if it was the skratch, moderate dehydration, the gel+electrolytes, or just a weird day.

This was a 2hr and 10min run, and that's usually the point where I start to need to eat as soon as I'm done running or my stomach just shuts down for the day. But this was more of a "don't you dare eat right now" feeling instead of my normal post-really-long-run "I have no interest in eating right now"

Considering (ideally I would run with SIL):
-Bayshore (Memorial Day weekend--half or full? the half usually sells out the first day, and I'm not sure about the time cutoff for the full; I think it's 5 or 6 hours?)
-North Country Trail Run (end of August) marathon or 50k; but the elevation gain is a lot; 9hr cutoff for the 50k
-Chicago?--(mid-October) "easy" to get into, drivable for a weekend trip
-NCTR and Chicago? --this seems like a bad idea
-NY?--(November) "hard" to get into, would be $$$$$ this is during XC state finals, so it's a no-go for a few years
I believe Bayshore is a 6 hour time limit. I haven't run that one yet, but my friend has, and she ran it in about 5:30 and said she felt it was well supported for back of the pack.

The North Country races often sell out, especially the half marathon, but as of now, looks like they are all open. In 2019, I ran the North Country 13.1 and the Chicago marathon - I felt that was doable, but I'm not sure I would attempt the NC marathon or 50K, then Chicago, but never say never, lol.

Also wanted to add that Chicago isn't as easy to get into via the lottery as it used to be. Especially if you and your SIL are both trying to get in, the odds are stacked against you that you'll both get entry, but running for charity is another option.

I believe Bayshore is a 6 hour time limit. I haven't run that one yet, but my friend has, and she ran it in about 5:30 and said she felt it was well supported for back of the pack.
Yeah, I was thinking it was 6 hours, but was also nervous it was maybe 5. That race has gotten SO FAST at the front in the past few years.

The North Country races often sell out, especially the half marathon, but as of now, looks like they are all open. In 2019, I ran the North Country 13.1 and the Chicago marathon - I felt that was doable, but I'm not sure I would attempt the NC marathon or 50K, then Chicago, but never say never, lol.
Someone on a social media board was talking about NCT (not sure which distance) and mentioned that it was a LOT of elevation, and pretty rocky/rooty on the trails. Ideally, SIL and I would like to go over and hike some of it in the spring before signing up so we know what we're getting ourselves into (especially since it's deer season now and that's all public land) but there's obviously no guarantee anything will still be open in April or May. Any specifics you remember from 4 years ago?

Also wanted to add that Chicago isn't as easy to get into via the lottery as it used to be. Especially if you and your SIL are both trying to get in, the odds are stacked against you that you'll both get entry, but running for charity is another option.
Well crud. It seemed like last year that everyone that I had seen post about applying via the lottery got in. Charity would be a really difficult route to go. Heck, we just did calendar squares for DD's preschool fundraiser and I had a total of 3 people donate. I'm very much not an "ask people for money" kind of person. I'm always amazed at those who can fundraise so much.

Any specifics you remember from 4 years ago?
I remember the trails having a little mix of everything - double track, single track, smooth, rocky, rooty and there are definitely hills. I specifically remember two monster hills, one at the beginning and one near the end, but I also recall some flat, prairie-like sections.

I think I read they have a new race director, so I'm curious to hear how next year's races go.

Weekly wrap-up. Ugh.

Monday: discussed already. 10mi.

Wednesday: 4mi treadmill. It rained every single day this week. Rearranged half my basement so the treadmill can be mostly in front of the TV. Started binging Grey's Anatomy. It's October, and I'm already sick of the treadmill.

Thursday: got a call from my mom that my uncle passed away. Nothing we haven't been expecting as his health has been failing this summer and fall, he was 90, but he was kind of like a grandpa to me. I pretty much gave myself the rest of the week off from sticking to the training plan, and if I needed a mental health run, I would go for one.

Friday: XC regionals. Spent the day tromping around in wet calf-high grass in misty rain and 40 degrees. Our team ran like trash and we finished 4th, which means we did not qualify for state finals. This was also DS1's last race, so there were a lot of big feeling from him.

Sunday: 9.5mi easy + 1.5mi M 1hr, 41min on the treadmill (7.15mi). We found out Sunday morning that the neighbor whose property we usually rifle hunt (deer season) no longer has space for us as his gf and her dad want to hunt there. So after getting a laundry list of chores done Sunday morning, DH, myself, and DS1 went and scouted a piece of public land near us for possible locations. That means I walked in rubber boots for 3 hours. I had intended to do this run outside, but it was 38 degrees and raining by the time we were done with everything. Down to the treadmill, and about 80min in my foot that I've had all the pf issues with was starting to act up. I was going to try to make it to 2 hours, but when almost the entire bottom of my foot started cramping at mile 7, I wasn't interested in pushing the envelope. It's only October, so I'm not stressing out yet. Hopefully this month ramps me nicely into November with the mileage, and I can figure out what levels I need to pull to be more consistent.

If you find your motivation, see if it has seen mine. Seriously, I have not run one mile since our race almost threw weeks ago.

I am sorry about your uncle.

Well, I'm sick. Some sort of upper respiratory thing. It's worse today than it was earlier this week (I've been trying to run through it, and bailed on the running part and just walked on Wednesday) and I feel like trying to do my 5.5mi today (which was supposed to include 2mi of M and 2mi of HM) would be a horrible decision. I also didn't run yesterday, but did referee for 2.5 hours (which is kind of like 10/10 intervals with a few breaks for halftime and between games.)

Do I walk those miles today, and possibly for the next few days? Walk for the same amount of time the run should have taken me?

If you find your motivation, see if it has seen mine. Seriously, I have not run one mile since our race almost threw weeks ago.
Oh yeah. That was 100% me back in January. I have no useful advice other than to just force yourself to get back out there and hope habit takes over.

Weekly wrap-up? I'm on season 2 already, bingeing Grey's Anatomy during treadmill runs.

Monday: 4mi easy treadmill, mostly continuous running...basically one mile continuous, then 1min walk
Tuesday: 4mi easy treadmill, same as Monday
Wednesday: 4mi treadmill, mostly walking as my lungs were not very happy.
Thursday: referee night, 2 games, 4:30-6:45. I'm guessing this is like 10/10 intervals with moving up and down the court and then pausing while a team attempts to run some sort of offensive play (it's middle school, so heavy on the attempt for them)
Friday: 5.5mi treadmill, all walking. My cold has fully moved into my chest (which almost never happens, I'm the queen of sinus infections) and running is pretty much out of the question.

Saturday was scheduled off, and Sunday was supposed to be 7mi, but any sort of heavy breathing was sending me into a coughing fit, so I took the day off in hopes that I would feel better today. I was slightly successful, but I'd say I'm only back to about 80% today (which is good because I referee again tonight.)

I'm starting to feel the pressure to get my costumes wrapped up. I feel a little stuck on the detail stuff for my half and full costumes. I'm trying to figure out how to do "more" without overdoing it. And I need to find some red undershorts for one of my short distance costumes. And order yellow leggings for our half costumes in case it's cold (waiting until mid-December so I can return them if we don't need them.)

Weekly wrap up:

So I thought I was 80% early last week. My body determined that was a lie. Whatever crud I had just drug on all week long. Today I would say I'm somewhere between 80 and 90% back (still a bit of a cough, and we will see if my midday headache shows up.) Also not sure how my lungs are going to react to a run, but I AM going to run today. Being sick last week sort-of was the best possible timing because it was my no-long-run transition week from fall sports arrangement to winter sports arrangement. And while it appears that I'm once again going to fall well short of my monthly mileage goal, I feel like I should be OK from a fitness perspective once I factor in the extra 12 (at the minimum) nights of refereeing. My plan is to run no more than 4mi the days I ref and, if needed, shuffle any longer runs to a different day so I'm still getting those medium-long runs in.

I pretty much don't remember a whole lot about any of my runs.

Monday: 4mi easy. Treadmill. Judging by the manual laps, it appears that I ran mile 2, but walked the other 3. And then I refereed for 2.5 hours that evening. These games were significantly more competitive than last week, and there was a lot more running for me to do.

Tuesday: off. I may need to consider some backward walking on the treadmill to get my quads used to that for refereeing, because I was unexpectedly a little bit sore on this day.

Wednesday: 6mi easy. Treadmill. I switched over to "Band of Brothers" and got through 2 episodes for this workout. I did run a few of the miles on this workout (2-3) and I'm pretty sure I bumped up the incline for the last 2 miles, which I walked. I also think that this was the day I figured out that all of this walking is using a lot of shin muscles that I'm not used to using.
Thursday: 4mi easy. Treadmill. I walked all of this one. I had intended to do 5 or 6mi, but my shins were getting upset with me, and my left calf kept locking up. This was also nearly my peak day for coughing, and I was pretty miserable at this point.

Friday-Sunday: off. This means I missed 8 miles, but I was tired of trying to keep up on my workouts and get back to healthy at the same time. I did less, tried to get more sleep, and *fingers crossed* I think it may have worked.

I'm trying to decide for sure how I want to approach this week. One the one hand equal time off to return but I didn't really take time off, unless the weekend counts. This week's schedule is:
-4mi
-5mi (mix of easy and M) + referee 3 elementary games (3 hours)
-4mi
-OFF+ referee 3 elementary games (3 hours)
-4mi
-9.5mi easy+2.5mi M this is the one that's making me nervous; it's the first Saturday of firearm deer season, so I'm either going to have to drive to the rail-trail to run (which mean no bathrooms), or run it on the treadmill. And I haven't done a long run since October 23. Do I shorten this long run? Give it more of a "Galloway" approach which is basically "complete the distance and don't worry about the pace"? Or should I make the previous day's run like....6mi, and then shorten the long run to 10?

Also, still looking for someone to run some (or all) of the marathon with. I'm anticipating being in D corral, and running somewhere between 13-14min/mi until my body tells me that's enough (this has been approximately AK the last couple of years), and then doing the rest by feel. I'm hoping for a ride on EE this year as well.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter