Everyone always forgets the theatre! (including some news)

SnackyStacky

DIS Veteran
There's lots of talk on here about Michael Eisner's failures with ABC and Go.com, which I agree with.

But people seem to forget that amidst those failures came some amazing theatrical successes. They do have 4 of them that are RAKING in cash left and right. Beauty and the Beast has been running on B'way since 1994 and continues to sell out without the use of discount and comp tickets.

The Lion King is another cash cow. Try getting tickets to that on B'way, or even on tour for that matter. I haven't attempted in a while, but decent seats were selling out two years in advance! Not to mention the worldwide productions that are popping up.

Aida is Disney's latest success. Because the Broadway community is very anti-Disney, they attempted to hide it as an "Hyperion Theatricals" production. Now that it is a bonafide smash hit, all of Disney's New York advertising involves the Disney 3. (Not to mention the CD that they put out)

In Germany, they also have Der Glockner von Notre Dame. I haven't seen this, but the cast recording is AMAZING. They took an already AMAZING score and took it to the next level with stunning vocal arrangements, and beefed up orchestrations. I HIGHLY reccomend this one.

And now (here comes the news part), Disney is going for their 5th. Aladdin is soon to be coming somewhere in California. They are auditioning for it this month. (I haven't heard anything about this on the DIS, so I figured it qualified as news of some sort!)

Anyone care to throw anything in to make this a discussion or a debate? I'm extremely bored, and just thought I'd throw something out there! :)

Snacky, not "everyone" has ignored the stage. I just spoke of it earlier this week (The "Walt's standars" thread) and Scoop spoke of it extensively some months ago...:) But you're correct that these huge successes (both Broadway & the MGM shows) don't get enough credit as future "classics" IMO.

Aladdin is being developed to replace Balst at the Hyperion Theatre at DCA...This is something that DCA needs badly IMO & if they do it well ala B&TB & Hunchback, it'll be wonderful addition. I haven' heard if it's to a live mike performance or not (I certainly hope so), if anyone can confirm this it'll be appreciated.

:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

This Summer I worked with the woman who is designing the costumes for Aladdin... Genie and/or Iago may end up being tracked, but that should be it. This is going to be a big deal. Currie is doing puppets (Iago, Abu, and Carpet?).

Currie is amazing. I also think they should have Julie Taymor put a hand in. The woman is AMAZING.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter