• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Exchange question??

dizneeluvr

Mystery Writer
Is there anyplace to find out how many points are needed to exchange into the non "collection" resorts?? I can't find it in the member guidebook, or the members website? Do I have to call Member services or is there another avenue??

There is no absolute answer because there are too many variables. In general, assume OKW points for either Adventure or Dream season FOR THE SAME SIZE UNIT AS YOU ASK FOR and that will give you a good idea. What will happen is that DVC and II have agreed on a conversion factor. In general the hot spots will be the higher points and the rest of the time (even red time) will be adventure points. DVC will see what is the cheapest points at the time looking at all resorts and seasons. All banking, borrowing and home resort priority restrictions apply.

Some of the pitfalls are that you must wait until you match which may be too late to get good airfare (though not likely at present) and that if you want a resort that only has 2 BR units but only need a 1 BR, you still pay the 2 BR points. You should be searching more than a year out and preferably two. There are some choices that are extremely unlikely to happen, like Maui Marriott. If you can give me more specifics, I'll try to offer additional info.

I assume you're asking about Interval International (II) exchanges, such as exchanging into a Marriott Vacation Club resort or other timeshare resort offered by DVC.

You handle II exchanges through DVC Member Services. II transactions are always full seven-night weeks (unlike Concierge Collection or Disney Collection transactions).

Let's suppose you ask Member Services to get you into a 2-bedroom condo at one of the timeshare resorts on DVC's list. If a unit is available (or becomes available in the case of an ongoing search), DVC provides a comparable DVC week to II. The number of points that are deducted from your point balance will be the number of points needed for that comparable DVC week. DVC will try to minimize the points, based on availability. The week that DVC provides to II does not have to be the same week of the year that you are getting at your destination, and it doesn't even have to be at your home DVC resort.

Because of the way it works, it's impossible to publish a specific number of points.

It does vary a lot. Depending on the season of the week you receive from II, here's the range of points you can probably expect to use.

Low season received, using points values for Adventure or Choice season DVC weeks at any DVC resort (in parentheses is a typical number used, assuming Choice season at HHI):

Studio: 55-82 (78)
1BR: 104-172 (160)
2BR: 133-232 (200)

High season received, using points values for Dream or Magic season DVC weeks at any DVC resort (in parentheses is a typical number used, assuming Dream season at OKW):

Studio: 98-134 (109)
1BR: 196-270 (218)
2BR: 263-350 (296)

Hope that helps.
Lisa P.

One point of clarification. DVC exchanges are either tip top season or anything else. Most red time is still "low" season compared to DVC and will fall into Adventure. Exceptions will be warm places for Xmas to spring break like MX, Caribbean and S. FL. Also HI most of the year and ski times will be Dream. These places other than the top season will be "low" season for DVC members.

Thanks for all of your help!! It sounds like it may not be as attractive as I initially thought, but I will call MS in the next couple of days to try to get specifics about when and where we were thinking about exchanging.

Thanks again!!

Actually, trading can be very attractive, if you can get a week that really is comparable to a week at at DVC -- or better!

I recall that Anita Williams on this board reported that she got a May week in a studio at the Four Seasons Resort Club Aviara in Carlsbad, California, for just 55 points. That's an amazing deal. This timeshare resort shares facilities with the Four Seasons Resort Aviara, where rooms start at around $400 per night in the off season. (May is off season in Southern California.) Just 55 points for a whole week, not per night!

It takes advance planning, homework, and luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter