Exchange rate at all time low

Hi everyone! I’m American and have never traveled outside of the US (I know, I know!) and I’m trying to buy a 14 day Disney ticket at Attraction Tickets. I’d be using a US credit card. So do I buy these tickets in GBP or Euros? It says the Euro is 1:1 with USD but GBP says 1 pound sterling is $1.15 USD - I just don’t understand (foreign transaction fees aside) what this would mean for me when using my credit card - will it convert the transaction into USD?

I promise someday I’ll travel the world and this will sound like as stupid of a question to me as it does to all of you hahah. But for now, we just do Disney World. Always Disney World. LOL!!

will it convert the transaction into USD?
Any transaction made in a foreign currency (ie. not $ in your case) will get exchanged to your currency by the credit card company at their exchange rate of the day, possibly plus fees.

In a situation where the seller gives the option to pay them in $ then if you take that they will do the exchange and the rates and fees can be quite high. If you don't know their rates it's usually best to pay in the local currency and let the CC company do the change.

It's possible AT won't accept a USD credit card for £/€ purchases, so do be prepared for the system to refuse it.

$1.11.

Yikes.
Well the markets hated that budget!
Out of control spending is never going to go down well, 1:1 very likely soon. I don’t think US travel is sustainable right now without cutting back what you do when you get there.

1.10 by 12pm
1.09 by 4pm
1.08 by 8pm :sad:

Last edited:
Well the markets hated that budget!
Out of control spending is never going to go down well, 1:1 very likely soon. I don’t think US travel is sustainable right now without cutting back what you do when you get there.
I think you might be right. This is literally the equivalent of giving a 5 year old power to make financial decisions in a school. Free icecream and no lessons will be great for their friends but they wont have teachers for very long.
I expected it to be bad - but jesus christ he isn't even trying to hide the fact he is just helping his mates anymore. Gobsmacked.
Keeping a close eye on this and might end up cancelling and using our free flights to go to an all inclusive in mexico instead at this rate.

I think you might be right. This is literally the equivalent of giving a 5 year old power to make financial decisions in a school. Free icecream and no lessons will be great for their friends but they wont have teachers for very long.
I expected it to be bad - but jesus christ he isn't even trying to hide the fact he is just helping his mates anymore. Gobsmacked.
Keeping a close eye on this and might end up cancelling and using our free flights to go to an all inclusive in mexico instead at this rate.

We've got a cruise to Europe booked for April next year, so at least I've got something and the price is locked in and my costs are mostly controlled but will be a while before going back to the States seems like a sensible option. :(

Now that they’ve shorted the £, I’ve decide to postpone trips to the US in 2023. It’s just not viable for me. Will look at booking again if it makes some sort of recovery but Im not holding my breath ☹️
We’ve cancelled too. Prices are sky high at WDW right now anyway and the exchange rate is the icing on the cake. £5 for a bottle of water won’t work for us! Hope we can go back in 2024.

It's a tricky call. Things might be very different by next year.
Now is probably not the time to make a new booking, but if you have one already at a reasonable price (against a small deposit) I'd sit on it for now and decide nearer balance payment time.

With all the variables in play since COVID I'm now in the habit of booking two holidays (making sure I'm not committing to significant cancellation fees) a year or so out and making a final decision a few months beforehand.

It's a tricky call. Things might be very different by next year.
Now is probably not the time to make a new booking, but if you have one already at a reasonable price (against a small deposit) I'd sit on it for now and decide nearer balance payment time.

With all the variables in play since COVID I'm now in the habit of booking two holidays (making sure I'm not committing to significant cancellation fees) a year or so out and making a final decision a few months beforehand.
That's an excellent shout.

We have already paid for the extra points for Swan Reserve and Hilton Bonnet Creek. We can always cancel but we won't get that money back regardless. We will just have points sitting in our accounts for a while. Disney Hotel etc not paid for yet but it's only 2.5k with the tickets and the credit card. Flights cost 1100 for the two of us and can move for a £50 fee.
We are going in Feb/ March 2023 - fingers crossed it balances out a little - I really am praying it gets back up to 1.3 that will not be great.. but manageable with swapping a couple of table service meals for quick services.

£5 for a bottle of water won’t work for us!
I’m sure everyone knows this but when in the parks or resorts any counter service restaurant will give you a cup of iced water for free but yeah if you want something else its gonna get steep fast

It's not just about avoiding America though. It's other countries that use the dollar also. At the start of November I need to spend several thousand dollars on car hire (pay on arrival) and national park fees in Uganda. I should have bought a load of notes months ago and stashed it under the mattress but I just didn't think our country would make such a concerted effort to damage itself.

I've been re-evaluating some aspects of my trip in 4 weeks time.
After reading a DFB article I cancelled a couple of high end dining bookings because, like them, I really can't see that $80-90 plus tax and tips (so about £100) for a 3 course meal - and drinks would be on top of that - makes sense. I could afford it, but the experience just doesn't rate the cost for me.
A couple more evenings in the F&🍷 Festival instead. :drinking1

It's not just about avoiding America though. It's other countries that use the dollar also. At the start of November I need to spend several thousand dollars on car hire (pay on arrival) and national park fees in Uganda. I should have bought a load of notes months ago and stashed it under the mattress but I just didn't think our country would make such a concerted effort to damage itself.
Unfortunately you are not alone. It’s going to be a big shock to a lot of people,

Hi everyone! I’m American and have never traveled outside of the US (I know, I know!) and I’m trying to buy a 14 day Disney ticket at Attraction Tickets. I’d be using a US credit card. So do I buy these tickets in GBP or Euros? It says the Euro is 1:1 with USD but GBP says 1 pound sterling is $1.15 USD - I just don’t understand (foreign transaction fees aside) what this would mean for me when using my credit card - will it convert the transaction into USD?

I promise someday I’ll travel the world and this will sound like as stupid of a question to me as it does to all of you hahah. But for now, we just do Disney World. Always Disney World. LOL!!

Did you buy them already? I just purchased UK tickets from AttractionsTickets and paid with my US credit card with no problems. I chose pounds because a quick google search (£xx to USD) showed pounds would cost less USD than euro by quite a large margin when I purchased a few days ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter