• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Explain it to me like I'm 5 - Lyft/Uber at WDW

KEY advice right there. Please don't move!

As far as contacting the driver, that is not usually necessary unless you want to give them an entry code for a gated community or something they REALLY need to get to you. You will be able to see the driver coming toward you on your app, so there is no need really to ask if we're coming...:rolleyes:.

This is a matter of personal preference, but if you're using Uber I'd personally prefer a text to a phone call. Much less disruptive for the driver, but don't expect an immediate text answer, of course! With Lyft, you can only call the driver -- no text capability -- and if I'm in heavy traffic or completing another ride before I pick you up, I won't answer.

Another Uber rookie here! Just signed up for our trip in two weeks. If I may ask, going from my resort to U.S., do I need to enter specific addresses, or will "Boardwalk Villas" and "Universal" work?
Thanks!

Another Uber rookie here! Just signed up for our trip in two weeks. If I may ask, going from my resort to U.S., do I need to enter specific addresses, or will "Boardwalk Villas" and "Universal" work?
Thanks!
When you type something in, a list of suggestions pops up as you type. Since "Boardwalk" is a fairly common name for businesses, you'll probably find it faster if you type "Disney's Boardwalk". Universal should come up pretty easily.

Thanks!
Also, for your pickup, the rider app will locate you -- you don't have to enter where you want to be picked up. You just enter your destination, as Joel said.

On your rider app, you can see where your phone GPS thinks you are, and if that's not correct, you can move the pin. You can also see the Uber car coming toward your pickup on the rider app.

Just be sure you don't order a ride until you're in position for pickup because the driver will be sent to where you order the ride. If that's off and you don't move the pin on your app, you could get charged a cancellation fee.

Uber has a similar device called the Uber Beacon, but they're only in Miami, Denver, Nashville, and now being distributed in SFO, NYC, and Chicago.

When the driver gets close to your pickup, you're prompted to pick a color from a palette. The Beacon is mounted on the front windshield, and it matches the color you select. If multiple cars approach with the same color, you can change the color and the Beacon will also change. The Beacon makes pickups very easy in crowded venues like sporting events, big festivals, airports, etc.
I just got back from Vegas and the driver to the airport had an uber sticker in the front window and it was connected to a wire. I asked if the sign lit up and he said, yes, to make it easier to ID. We didn't have to use it, it was daytime and everything else matched. I wonder if that's the same thing you're talking about.

ETA: Looking at pictures of an "Uber Beacon", I don't think so, unless it was an early prototype. This was a sticker on the windshield.

I just got back from Vegas and the driver to the airport had an uber sticker in the front window and it was connected to a wire. I asked if the sign lit up and he said, yes, to make it easier to ID. We didn't have to use it, it was daytime and everything else matched. I wonder if that's the same thing you're talking about.

ETA: Looking at pictures of an "Uber Beacon", I don't think so, unless it was an early prototype. This was a sticker on the windshield.
That's probably NOT a Beacon. There are a lot of lighted signs available for purchase on Amazon, eBay, etc., but the official ones are distributed by Uber and Lyft directly to selected drivers. The Uber Beacon attaches to the windshield with a magnet; the Lyft Amp sits on the dashboard.

Also, for your pickup, the rider app will locate you -- you don't have to enter where you want to be picked up. You just enter your destination, as Joel said.

On your rider app, you can see where your phone GPS thinks you are, and if that's not correct, you can move the pin. You can also see the Uber car coming toward your pickup on the rider app.

Just be sure you don't order a ride until you're in position for pickup because the driver will be sent to where you order the ride. If that's off and you don't move the pin on your app, you could get charged a cancellation fee.

Thanks, JimMIA! Can you tell me if there's a specific pickup spot for Boardwalk Villas?

Thanks, JimMIA! Can you tell me if there's a specific pickup spot for Boardwalk Villas?

Boardwalk Villas is in the same building as Boardwalk Inn. When I wanted an Uber, I just walked out the front door of the hotel and ordered it. It showed up right there.

There's only one place cars can drive to at Boardwalk Resort. The main drive/semi circle at the lobby. That's also where you get picked up for Uber/Lyft. Or the same place you'd go if you were driving and dropping off family before going to park.

That's not a problem for drivers as long as you have cell coverage in the Colonies. And you'll also need DATA to use the app.

All calls between driver and rider (both ways) are routed through Uber or Lyft, so the call will not cost the driver a penny. We get a call from a US number. Same with texts on Uber.

The purpose of that routing is so that neither the rider nor driver has the other party's actual telephone number. Important privacy protection both ways.

That's very clever and hugely helpful - thank you! I should have cell coverage and will definitely have data, so it sounds like it will be easy to go down this route.

We want to take Uber to the Universal front gate. If I just type in “Universal Studios Orlando” as my destination, will that be all they need?

We want to take Uber to the Universal front gate. If I just type in “Universal Studios Orlando” as my destination, will that be all they need?
Yes. You'll be dropped at the Passenger Drop Off for the parks, which is near the huge parking garage area.

I’ve also never used public transportation. Even at WDW, we usually drive our own car. We are flying for our next trip. We worry the DME will take too long to get us to our resort and thought of taking a taxi. My husband and I live in a rural area and have never taken a taxi or an Uber. Is this safe? It seems strange to get in a car with a stranger. Are there advantages of taking an Uber over a taxi from Orlando airport?

A taxi driver is a "stranger" too.

Both Uber and Lyft have background checks in place.

You can price those services, and taxis, too, at http://ride.guru
Yes, the thought of a taxi or Uber hasn’t settled with me. I guess I need to think about people who live in areas where these are accessible who use them often. Thank you for the link.

Is this safe?

I am stating the obvious but not to be sarcastic or anything. I hope it makes you feel more comfortable. Of course it is safe. These forms of transportation are used 24 hours a day, 7 days a week across the country. There are very few issues. People wouldn't use the services if it was dangerous.

Last edited:
I’ve also never used public transportation. Even at WDW, we usually drive our own car. We are flying for our next trip. We worry the DME will take too long to get us to our resort and thought of taking a taxi. My husband and I live in a rural area and have never taken a taxi or an Uber. Is this safe? It seems strange to get in a car with a stranger. Are there advantages of taking an Uber over a taxi from Orlando airport?
This is a common, and very legitimate question.

For openers, here's a link to one of my posts on the Everything Uber/Lyft thread that talks about the stringent background checks all Uber drivers have to pass: Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Lyft has similar requirements, at least in Florida, because our state law requires that level of background investigation for all rideshare drivers.

Taxi drivers are regulated locally, usually by the counties. I don't know what the Orlando area requirements are, but there are background checks of some sort, and they are probably along the lines of the Uber/Lyft checks.

Just in the last couple of weeks, Uber has now adopted a policy of re-checking driver backgrounds at least once a year.

Driver and car identification
In addition to the drivers' background checks, there are several other protections. With both Uber and Lyft, when you order a ride, you will be given the driver's real first name, a description and tag number of their car, and a photo of the driver's face. Always check the face behind the wheel against the driver picture on your app. That's the best safety check you have.

Uber periodically requires us to do an immediate on-app facial recognition confirmation -- to ensure that the person using the driver app is actually their approved driver. Lyft does not do this; my Lyft pic is the original.

Ride tracking
When you are in an Uber or Lyft ride, your ride is being GPS-tracked in at least two ways. You are being tracked on both the driver's app and your rider app, through the ride and for a couple of minutes afterward in the case of riders. So Big Brother is watching over you throughout your ride. Obviously, the driver is tracked constantly.

With Uber, you also have the option of "sharing your trip" with trusted family or friends. You can set up people to share, and they also will be able to track your ride in real time. Lyft may have a similar feature; I'm not sure.

Uber is also rolling out a safety update to the rider app that will apparently feature a suite of new safety features, including a button to automatically dial 9-1-1 directly from the rider app. I haven't seen that update, so I'm not sure what else is in it.

So as you can see, the safety features in rideshare are quite robust. No system is perfect of course, but Uber gives millions of rides every day worldwide with a very very low incidence of problems.

Bad news is always a click-magnet for news media sites, so bad news gets prominent attention. If the news media thinks a criminal has ever driven for Uber, the word Uber will be in the headline somewhere...whether the issue occurred on an Uber ride or not. Real problems are very rare, but they do occur -- with Uber drivers, doctors, lawyers, clergy, police officers...every group. Pobody's Nerfect.

This is a common, and very legitimate question.

For openers, here's a link to one of my posts on the Everything Uber/Lyft thread that talks about the stringent background checks all Uber drivers have to pass: Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Lyft has similar requirements, at least in Florida, because our state law requires that level of background investigation for all rideshare drivers.

Taxi drivers are regulated locally, usually by the counties. I don't know what the Orlando area requirements are, but there are background checks of some sort, and they are probably along the lines of the Uber/Lyft checks.

Just in the last couple of weeks, Uber has now adopted a policy of re-checking driver backgrounds at least once a year.

Driver and car identification
In addition to the drivers' background checks, there are several other protections. With both Uber and Lyft, when you order a ride, you will be given the driver's real first name, a description and tag number of their car, and a photo of the driver's face. Always check the face behind the wheel against the driver picture on your app. That's the best safety check you have.

Uber periodically requires us to do an immediate on-app facial recognition confirmation -- to ensure that the person using the driver app is actually their approved driver. Lyft does not do this; my Lyft pic is the original.

Ride tracking
When you are in an Uber or Lyft ride, your ride is being GPS-tracked in at least two ways. You are being tracked on both the driver's app and your rider app, through the ride and for a couple of minutes afterward in the case of riders. So Big Brother is watching over you throughout your ride. Obviously, the driver is tracked constantly.

With Uber, you also have the option of "sharing your trip" with trusted family or friends. You can set up people to share, and they also will be able to track your ride in real time. Lyft may have a similar feature; I'm not sure.

Uber is also rolling out a safety update to the rider app that will apparently feature a suite of new safety features, including a button to automatically dial 9-1-1 directly from the rider app. I haven't seen that update, so I'm not sure what else is in it.

So as you can see, the safety features in rideshare are quite robust. No system is perfect of course, but Uber gives millions of rides every day worldwide with a very very low incidence of problems.

Bad news is always a click-magnet for news media sites, so bad news gets prominent attention. If the news media thinks a criminal has ever driven for Uber, the word Uber will be in the headline somewhere...whether the issue occurred on an Uber ride or not. Real problems are very rare, but they do occur -- with Uber drivers, doctors, lawyers, clergy, police officers...every group. Pobody's Nerfect.
Thank you. This was helpful. I didn’t understand that Uber was so organized. There are none in my area so I am ignorant about it. This does help me to feel more comfortable about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter