• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Express passes for family of 6 in August

Nubiwan

Earning My Ears
Been reading here and there that late August might be busier than we anticipate. I am not the sort who enjoys lining up 45 + minutes for a 3-5 minute ride. We spend 3 weeks in Florida, when we go. I don't See the point in spending 12 grand on a vacation to stand in park lines. Hope that doesn't sound pompous.

So, I have tentatively booked 2 bed cabana suite for August 26 to Sept 2 for our family of 6. I am thinking on getting the 14 day explorer passes for unlimited entry to 3 parks. Perhaps upgrade that to AP when we leave, if I can.

My dilemma is whether or not to buy express passes and how.

My options are as follows:

Book 1-2 extra nights at a luxury resort to the tune of $700-1000
Wait to see what the EP prices are for each day in August. Mebbe buy 4 for the kids for 2 days.
Alter present booking to 1-2 nights at luxury and remainder at cabana....

Any other options? Anyone know what EP sells for in August, on any given day. If it's like $50 each, then i could just spend $400 on the kids for 2 days too. Should I just play it by ear, when we go?

Thanks all.

If you're going every day for multiple days you may get your fill without needing EPs. If you go for early entry and ride two or three of the busiest rides first thing then walk around and ride some of the not so busy rides or take a break from the park then go back at night and ride some more. Remember once you're in line they will let you on the ride so even if you get in line for Gringott's at 10 minute to closing you can still ride. As a guide I have found that if the line is just outside the building and maybe a little down that first ramp it's about 25 minutes wait. It took about an hour on Thanksgiving when half of that big covered waiting area was full (but they did stop the ride for awhile to add more ride vehicles). It's not likely that EPs would be sold out every day you're there so later in the vacation if you feel like you want to buy them one day you always can. If you do decide to buy EPs wait until you're in the park. The line outside to buy them is always long.

I went last year late August for two days (the last weekend) and crowd levels were fine. Most rides were no more than a 30 minute wait except for when the rain hit and everyone ran for shelter to an enclosed ride. We did not have EP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter