Extension Cord

eva

Often uses her unique ability to close threads.
Well, I'm just starting to pack and my husband ask me a question about the extension cord on my list. I explain to him that we would need it to use our own blow dryer. Then he asked me a couple questions I hadn't thought about. First, how long of an extension cord do you need? And then, do you really need one? He wondered if the outlet in the room was anywhere near the mirror in the stateroom. We don't need a sink or anything to blow dry our hair, just a mirror.

For me the problem wasn't where the outlet was located in relation to the mirror, it was that it was so close to the counter top that my bulky plug on my hairdryer wouldn't fit into the outlet! I didn't take an extension cord because my hairdryer is the only thing I plug in and I thought it was more necessary if you had serveral things to plug in. If I had a regular, thin plug where the cord comes straight out from the wall, I would have been okay.

The plug was right near the mirror. I don't know if it's the same in all cabins; I was in a standard inside cabin. Fortunately there was a hairdryer in the bathroom, but it wasn't very powerful.

It is the same in all cabins, the outlets and light swicthes are mounted flush to the top of the desk by the mirror. Only a plug like you would find on the end of a lamp cord will fit. If your dryer has a bulkier plug than that(a lot have a built in electrocution protection device now) you'll need something to make it fit.

And don't count on the in cabin hair dryer, it is not exactly the most useful, or has much of a reach.

Another vote for the extension cord due to the "black box" type plug on my hair dryer. It is too bulky to fit without the extension cord. You will see what we mean when you get there!!!

MJ

Another thing about extension cords...if anyone needs to use an outlet for any reason near the bed or night stand you'll have to get an adapter from guest services. We travel with a handicapped friend who needs to use a nebulizer & ventilator for his treatment & found out that the outlet is the type they use in Italy where the ship was made. It only has two holes instead of the three. They charge you 25.00 for it on your acct. but give you a credit whe you return it. Just a little FYI. :) Cathie

How long an extensison cord would I need for it to reach the bed? My dh had sleep apnea and has to have a machine to sleep. When you say adapter is it just the kind that has 2 prongs on one side and then 3 holes on the other?

We stayed in a handicapped accessible room that is a lot larger than a regular stateroom so we needed to use one of those large outdoor type 3 prong extension cords. The outlets near the mirror & dresser are like the ones we use at home 110V ( the 3 prong type 2 slits , one rounded one below them . The problem with the outlet behind the bed is that it's the type they use in Europe 220V, just 2 prongs can fit. I hope I explained this o.k. Guest Services lets you use an adapter that fits into the wall behind the bed if you need to, so you can use our type of cords. You may be able to run a regular extension cord over to the bed (25 ft is plenty) to use your equipment. We needed to plug in three different types of medical equipment, so we needed access to 3 different plugs. Let me know if you need any more info. Cathie:)

Hi eva!

my husband ask me a question about the extension cord on my list. do you really need one?

It comes in handy if you want to play "The Grateful Hostage And The Brave Cruise Ship Captain"...

When I went on my first cruise, I took one of those power surge type cords with 6 plug in's. Made getting ready for 2 people easier. We plugged ours in in the room by the mirror, so one could be in the bathroom, other doing hair, etc. Definitely worth the extra space.

BD, you've finally done it. I thought the "eggs benedict experiment" was going to kill me. (laughing) Now the "uses for extension cords" has made me look like an insane woman, laughing at my screen!

Love your new nickname. And so much easier to type!

Hey! We're almost in the double digits till the cruise.:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Hi Linda!

Love your new nickname.

The "credit" goes to Rae.

We're almost in the double digits till the cruise.

Departure day can't arrive soon enough, besides I'm running out of things to plan...

How is DW (Dear/Disney Workaholic)? As vacation time gets closer, you might want to start placing little vacation reminders around the house, such as taping the definition of the word "relax" on the bathroom mirror, setting a framed picture of The Magic on the table next to his side of the bed, sprinkling some sand in his shower for a Castaway Cay effect...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter