Extra day/days in Phoenix?

kristilew

DIS Veteran
We are doing Southwest Splendors next June, with a Tuesday start day. Based on trip reports and the same basic question on the Wyoming thread, we're planning on flying in a day early.

Since the day early would be Monday, that has opened the possibility, vacation-time-wise, of actually going a couple of days early, since it wouldn't be any more days off. (Arrive Saturday or Sunday)

So, my questions for any of you who have done the trip or live in that area are: Would it be worth it to add one or more days in Phoenix? How much is there to do there for tourists? And where should we stay to get the most for our money?

TIA, any advice would be appreciated!

I would definitely fly in at least one day early. We did this tour in July, and we flew in the day before. We spent the afternoon and evening at a hotel in Scottsdale, mostly just taking in the astonishingly different scenery and trying to adjust to the heat. After a leisurely breakfast the next morning, we drove back to the airport and got to the meeting point in Terminal 4 with plenty of time. Several of the families who flew in that day had to spend several hours in the Phoenix Airport before the tour was ready to go, and by the time we got to Sedona they were already exhausted. Travel days are stressful no matter what, so if you can settle in before the tour starts, I think it makes things a lot easier. There are many great resorts in Phoenix and Scottsdale, and there's plenty to do for a few days, if you'd like. We didn't have the energy to be tourists, but if we'd had another day or two we certainly would have gone exploring.

We are doing Southwest Splendors next June, with a Tuesday start day. Based on trip reports and the same basic question on the Wyoming thread, we're planning on flying in a day early.

Since the day early would be Monday, that has opened the possibility, vacation-time-wise, of actually going a couple of days early, since it wouldn't be any more days off. (Arrive Saturday or Sunday)

So, my questions for any of you who have done the trip or live in that area are: Would it be worth it to add one or more days in Phoenix? How much is there to do there for tourists? And where should we stay to get the most for our money?

TIA, any advice would be appreciated!
Yes, we took the trip in April and LOVED it! We came in a day early and spent our time on a hot air balloon in Phoenix!! Amazing..Cost about $700 for a family of 4---an experience of a lifetime. When you're in MOAB Utah, make sure you book Horseback riding....It was incredible.
Have fun

I'm about to go back to working on our trip report, but i had to let you know - go early. You will certainly be more relaxed. I would very highly reccomend the Arizona Grand Resort. It is 10 minutes from the airport, they partner with a town car service and it was $25 each way with very good service. The resort was wonderful, we really wished we had more time to spend there. I will be posting more about it on my trip report and you can check them out online.

Tammy

When you stayed at the grand did they have an airport shuttle service. Or just the town car service cindy
I'm about to go back to working on our trip report, but i had to let you know - go early. You will certainly be more relaxed. I would very highly reccomend the Arizona Grand Resort. It is 10 minutes from the airport, they partner with a town car service and it was $25 each way with very good service. The resort was wonderful, we really wished we had more time to spend there. I will be posting more about it on my trip report and you can check them out online.

Tammy

It was a towncar. Actually we booked a towncar but they came with a luxury SUV each way. Arriving, we called them when after we landed and had our bags and they told us at which door of the airport to meet the driver - he was there very quickly. As I said it was $25 each way, I believe that is a discount of their regular rate because they partner with the hotel.

Can't say enough about our whole pre-trip experience. If you have the time spend a couple of nights we stayed one and wished we had more time.
Tammy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter