"Extreme Frugalness???"

Frugal, yes, but also environmental. The waste of water is a bigger issue than the waste of money...I'd probably do the same thing, at least until I needed to use the bathtub for, you know, bathing.

I agree. I have been known to use bathwater (and washing machine water)to water my garden, especially during periods of water restriction. The soap doesn't hurt the flowers.

My BIL and SIL are very frugal. Several years ago, they purchased a split level home with the lowest level being a gravel crawl space. It took about 3 years but my BIL dug out the crawl and made it into a basement one bucket at a time. He would carry out buckets of rock/dirt/clay and load it on to a trailer. When it was full, he would tow the trailer to a nearby dump that would take it for free. My DH spent many a day/night there helping him but when it was time for us to put in our new flagstone patio, BIL was nowhere to be found when we needed help moving 5 tons of crushed limestone and 4 tons of stone.

BIL and SIL pay cash for everything (they even paid cash for their Mountaineer when Ford was offering 0%) :confused3

They recently got dial-up internet. Before, they would go to the library but realized that it was probably more in gas to drive the kids back and forth for school work. SIL recently got into genealogy so she spends most of the day on line. They do not have cable or cell phones. My FIL was very sick and recently died but my MIL would get very mad when she would try and call and get a busy signal and had no way of getting a hold of them. My BIL had to leave work to tell his wife about the shooting at NIU (they have a daughter there) because she was on-line and he was just getting a busy signal.

The only vacation that they take is for two weeks in MN to stay at my other BIL's lake house. The only cost to them is the gas to get there and their food. They never offer to give my BIL money to put towards his electric bill to at least cover the cost of the air conditioning.

They used to have a Sam's Club membership (under my business) but now they go in showing the old card and "shop". They then go ask my other BIL to come back with them to get the items using his membership (under my business). They know better than to ask DH or me because I would say no. They're just too cheap to spend the $35 for the year but want the benefits.

The funny thing is the SIL will think nothing about spending $400 for an antique lamp since she's into antiques.

I have to admit that I am a bit jealous. My DH and his brother make about the same amount of money. I work from home and although SIL is a dental hygienist, she hasn't worked since her children were born and doesn't ever plan to (she never renewed her license). Their home is paid for where ours is not. We have a lot of other expenses that are out of our control (mostly medical) but we do have a dish, DSL and cell phones. I know that it's our choice but now that we have them, I can't imagine not.

As for me, I do reuse plastic-wear. I wash them in the dishwasher and they come out fine. I've also been known to reuse birthday candles. I shop at Aldi for many things and buy most of my meat early in the morning at Sam's Club when it's discounted.

Did anyone see the Oprah show (a couple years ago) about being frugal? She couldn't believe that anyone would use a plastic grocery bag for a trash can liner. (we do that all the time). That's when I knew Oprah had forgotten what it's like to be a regular person.
Doesn't everyone do that with plastic grocery bags? :confused: I never even thought of it as frugal - just smart & environmentally conscienscious.

I can't imagine keeping my house at 58. We turned it from 67 to 68, which has saved money, but DH & the kids are constantly cold & are turning on the gas fireplace, so I'm sure we're not saving any more! :laughing:

Got this one from the DIS & still do it. Cutting dryer sheets in 1/2. It works fine. No static cling & the clothes smell good.

I have a question for those that make their own laundry soap. How well does it work w/ hard water? We have hard water here (from a well). I would love to make my own laundry soap. :goodvibes

e.

BIL and SIL pay cash for everything (they even paid cash for their Mountaineer when Ford was offering 0%) :confused3

This is a smart thing to do. By using the 0% financing,you pay more for the vehicle. We always finance privately. My sister was going to finance privately and then couldn't get a good rate, she wanted to use the 0%, to do so, the dealership raised the price of the car to cover their expense for the 0% financing.

Now, in the winter time, I have to use 2 dryer sheets, otherwise it's Static City in our house. Just in Jan./Feb., though.

You know, I consider it to be a huge difference between being frugal (trying to save pennies where you can, in your own little universe) versus being a cheap mooch. Daughtersrus, I would consider your BIL/SIL to be cheap mooches--they want help from others (labor, Sam's card, free vacations), but aren't willing to return the favor in any way. That just would leave a bad taste in my mouth. I much prefer people who I can swap cheap ideas with, who will also pitch in. Like my friend and I swapping kids' clothes--we both give and receive bins. And my incredibly cheap sister--she gives my kids all second-hand books, but she'll bring them boxes of them. Literally, I'll be groaning because now I have to STORE them all! But, my kids love her because she brings them so much!

BTW, we've always kept our main house at 68, although the rec room is cooler. Upstairs is at 60 during the day, then a little warmer mornings and evenings. We're not up there much. My DD12 always complains that she's cold in the mornings, but I just tell her to get dressed. I think everyone has to find the threshhold that works for them.

Ours is set at 60 (if I am home) or 58 (if hubby and/or son is home, and I am not).

It is turned off when we are not at home (but would kick on at 40 degrees irregardless, which hasn't happened) and it is turned completely off every night.

Last year we kept it at a steady 56 when anyone was home/awake and off the rest of the time and at night, but I was chilled a lot (they were fine) perhaps due to my poor circulation (?) so this year... it is 60 for me during awake hours!

We are still on the same propane tank full this year and live in Ohio (brrrrrrrr)!

We go to my in-laws to visit and cook... they keep it at 72, and we think it is unbearable!
I live in PA and we only use one propane tank fill per year. The house is 66 at night and the family room is 70 during the day. We have a larger home. Our entire bill was $1100 for heat and hot water for the year. I am happy to be warm and frugal at the same time.:cool1:

When my first-born was less than a year old, we moved cross country so my dh could switch jobs---at a pay cut no less. That was one very frugal year for us and we never ate out once, not even a trip to McDonald's; my grocery budget was $40. per week for everthing (including diapers). We also went to having one (cheap) car to drive for both of us. Worst of all I had to iron his dress shirts! (I am not an ironer, lol--my neighbor had to teach me how). I would also empty and reuse the vacuum cleaner bags. But all this also taught me how to get by without spending money, a good lesson learned.

Now our finances are more than fine, but I still have one cheap habit that makes me stand out in our upper class neighborhood: I cut the boys' hair myself, even my ds who is almost 14. I'm sure the neighbors think "what!" when I'm out there on the back deck every 3 weeks with the clippers in my hand. Thankfully my oldest is big into sports and prefers a buzz cut; since he typically wears a hat none of his friends notice/care that he doesn't have a real haircut.
So, if any of you want to save money on a haircut, stop on by!!! :banana:

I think the fact that I rarely buy a new item of clothing that isn't off a clearance rack and isn't marked down multiple times & that goes for my kids as well. My DD & I went to the GAP a few weeks ago & she figured out that she could get several items off the clearance rack for the same amount of money as 1 t-shirt. It was a real eye-opener for her.

Did it again today at Old Navy. I bought (all clothes are for DD):

-4 jars of lip gloss (2 double chocolate/2white chocolate mint) .99 each [were 3.50]
-Blue print PJ bottoms $3 [were 14.50]
-Pink track bottoms 2.50 [were 14.50]
-Gold-striped PJ bottoms $3 [were 14.50]
-Melon colored pants with tie belt $5 [tag was ripped so I don't know original price] {just checked the website: $22.50}
-Red bootcut jeans $4 [were 24.50]

The clothes are all going to go into a bin I keep in her room for stuff she hasn't grown into yet. She loves 'shopping' in there a few times a year for 'new' clothes.

This is a smart thing to do. By using the 0% financing,you pay more for the vehicle. We always finance privately. My sister was going to finance privately and then couldn't get a good rate, she wanted to use the 0%, to do so, the dealership raised the price of the car to cover their expense for the 0% financing.

Not in our case. Both BIL and DH work for a dealership and qualify for the employee "D Plan" program so the price that we pay is the same no matter which dealer (as long as it's a Ford or Lincoln/Mercury) we buy from or how it's financed.

So, if any of you want to save money on a haircut, stop on by!!! :banana:

I'd love to take you up on that, but we're saving money, too, as my 15 year old son refuses to get his hair cut.:rolleyes: As I see his shaggy head every day, I tell myself, well there's hair cut money in the bank, but I have a feeling I won't be able to stand it too much longer.

There are tons of recipes out there but mine uses, Fels Naptha (a bar soap), Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, and Borax.

I use an old stockpot for soap only. I fill it with about 15 cups of water. I use 1 cup of the washing soda and 1 cup of Borax. I grate in 1/2 a bar of Fels Naptha. I cook over medium heat until the Fels Naptha dissolves and I add a few drops of essential oil ie. lavender, peppermint etc...

When it cools, it is the consistency of Jello. I use about 1 cup per load. I also use hot water and some extra washing soda if something is particulary dirty.

It is super cheap and very "green"! It works out to about $.70 for 17 loads of laundry.

Borax- $1.59 box (use only 1 cup per batch)
Washing Soda- $1.89 box (use only 1 cup per batch)
Fels Naptha- $1.00 bar (use 1/2 bar per batch)

Hi there! Where do you find these items? Local Walmart / grocery store? Thanks!

For those that make laundry detergent, how is it for sensitive skin? I can only use odorless stuff and brands like Tide give me hives. I'd love to try it out, but don't want my skin to suffer. Thanks!

I love these ideas for making your own detergent! Definitely have to try it. Another co-worker of mine used to make her own baby wipes and still makes her own household wipes from inexpensive paper towels. Her kids love to clean up stuff with the household wipes and it doesn't break the bank. She uses Mr. Clean and water, but I am sure you could use whatever cleaner you prefer and dilute it, put it into a smallish tub with a paper towel roll. After it soaks a bit you can just pull out the cardboard tube and viola! Instant wipes on a budget. I think she may have even cut the paper towel roll in half - but maybe that was for the homemade baby wipes??? Of course, you could just do the rag thing for even cheaper, but it's a nice alternative for those who like the disposable wipes.

It is fun reading this thread. Most of the things on here are things I do that I never thought as frugal. I reuse plastic shopping bags for garbage bags, I use the sourcream or cottage cheese containers for left overs, I wash and reuse plastic ware, but my clothes second hand or onsale, etc. I also belive it is just environmentally smart.

The one thing not mentioned is I save all tissue paper from gifts. I just iron it so it looks brand new again.

We've used 0% financing before. We have always agreed on a price in writing before we went to the "financing" person at a dealership. However, we did learn that in the long run, if they are offering "cash back" OR 0% financing it is usually better to take the cash upfront.

To add to the frugal discussion I learned from these boards to save the return envelopes that come with the countless credit card offers & I have been using them to make shopping lists on & put my coupons inside. I currently have a CVS & two grocery store "envelopes" in my pocket book. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but he used to be more annoyed when I would do the same with envelopes we purchased at the store!

To add to the frugal discussion I learned from these boards to save the return envelopes that come with the countless credit card offers & I have been using them to make shopping lists on & put my coupons inside. I currently have a CVS & two grocery store "envelopes" in my pocket book. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but he used to be more annoyed when I would do the same with envelopes we purchased at the store!

I've used them to send money to school for the kids. Since I usually write the kids name, grade, teacher & what the money is for, I don't think the fact that is also says 'Chase Visa' makes a huge difference.

I have a friend that lived next door to us in Japan when we were stationed there. She used margarine bowls and coolwhip bowls for "her tupperware" and she also washed out/reused zip lock baggies. To me...that was REALLY FRUGAL. :rotfl:

I wash out coolwhip, sour cream containers etc. I view it as being better than sending them to a landfill - and they make really great 'to go' containers when DH takes leftovers to work for lunch. If they don't come home, it is OK, whereas I get upset if my good stuff doesn't come home.

I will only wash out baggies if I am going to reuse for same/similar item, Like lettuce or a package of cheese.

I refuse to buy any grocery item that isn't on sale. I prefer to shop at Aldi's & Sam's before the grocery store. I only go to the thrift bakery for bread. I would rather not spend $2-$3 on a loaf of bread, buns, bagels that I can get for 85c at the thrift store.

i make grown men cry.

well at least the grown men butchers at the local grocery store. i wait until REALY good cuts of meat are on great sales and then have the butcher either grind them into hamburgar or chop them into stew meat. i figure when london broil is on sale for 1.99 or less per pound or a beautiful rolled roast is going for 2.00's less per pound than the nasty stew meat is priced at i'm going to take advantage (and the better cuts of meat have less fat so i don't lose as much in the cooking process:thumbsup2 ).

only other habit i have that i've not seen posted here is taking my own shampoo and soap on vacation. i use it but then i stuff it along with the stuff the maids leave in the room into my suitcase each morning so i get another full supply daily-i save these to send with my kids when they go to summer camp (better than having to pay $$$ to buy travel size containers of shampoo, lotion, conditioner and small bars of soap):thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter