Extremely crowded day -- why?

Mom-to-3

Mouseketeer
We took our park hoppers and tried a crazy commando day last Friday (10-17). We started at opening at MGM and did our favorites, then drove over to AK and did more favorites. Then we drove to Magic Kingdom (~6pm) and were stunned, astonished, bewildered, and frustrated by the huge crowds there. It was crazy crowded. There was no indication of crowds like these at the 2 other parks.

Does anyone have any idea why? Was there something going on?

The last time we went to MK on a Friday afternoon it was a madhouse.

It seems that no matter whant day we go and no matter what time of year ( We have gone in April, May, and the first week and second week of Dec) the MK is always crowded. WAY more crowded than the other parks. Even when Epcot or the Studios are deserted, MK is packed. It is just the most popular park I guess.

I heard that Florida schools have a week off in October and I believe a lot of them had that week off. (I could be wrong, I'm sure many of our Florida Dis members could correct me if I am). Also I totally agree with Carrieberry, it just seems that it's always crowded, especially in the MK.

We were leaving a day earlier than some friends of ours 2 weeks ago, and the plan for their last day was to do Epcot until lunch, then go to MK. I suggested they do EE at MK, then head to Epcot instead. They thanked me upon their return...they could not believe the crowds arriving at MK as they were leaving.

Spectromagic & Wishes were being shown that night. I've found anytime Spectromagic runs, that day is more crowded all day. Plus alot of local people probably wanted to see Wishes since it's new. Some of the other nights closed early for MNSSHP.

I know in MN the schools were off for most of that week. A lot of people take off then and go to FL. I know flights are more expensive out of here for that week too.

Yes, we are in Seminole County schools...30 miles north of WDW...and we were out that Friday the 10th and the following week.

Yes, MK was a madhouse on Friday 17th!! We live in Broward County, FL, and school was out for the county on that day only (teacher training, not a statewide holiday, or so we thought...). We chose this time for a long weekend in WDW precisely because school was out in our county, and did not expect to find the same was true for a bunch of other counties (we have used this strategy before and not hit this problem!). Live and learn!

We went back into MK on the Sunday and the difference was huge! At 2pm in the afternoon, the standby time for Space Mountain was 15 mins, and fastpasses were available for 2:35pm! The same was true for Buzz. It was an incredible contrast, and may have been partly because Sunday was a MNSSHP night. It could also have been partly because the Food and Wine Festival had just opened - EPCOT was very quiet on Thursday evening when we arrived, but was a zoo on Saturday.

Having said all that, attendance is apparently up in WDW, and I am sure that Wishes, Mickey's Philharmagic, Mission Space etc are partially responsible.

Mike

We live in a county south that was not mentioned that was also out. Whenever this happens, that you have one local or in this case several counties out around Florida the crowds increase. You would think Disney might encourage the counties to have more of those days. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter