Fairy tales can come true, you got to make 'em happen... it all depends on you. (comments welcome!)

Haha! It's been my favorite ride since I was little and I am just desperate to get a glimpse behind the scenes. I know the Keys to the Kingdom tour takes you into some backstage areas of the ride but I've promised my son I'll wait until he's old enough to do the tour with me, so until then I just have to hope for a walk off.
Makes total sense! I love Haunted Mansion, it has been my favorite ride since my very first visit in 1988. My claustrophobic anxiety makes it so that getting stuck on a ride (especially long enough to have to be walked out) is my worst nightmare (and yes, I have had this dream). Working on it with a therapist, but still fearful.

Warning: I'm about to go down a rabbit hole into HM 🐰:laughing:

Have you seen the Muppet Haunted Mansion special? My daughter and I watch it every Halloween and I laugh every time. Lots of nods to the ride, very funny!

I purposefully avoided the first movie with Eddie Murphy, but have been interested in the second movie just because I liked a few of the other live action ones they've done recently. Just need to make the time 🤷‍♂️

Have you played the Haunted Mansion board game? It's probably my favorite of the Disney board games. I posted a thread about it ... somewhere LOL

I've considered a Haunted Mansion themed tattoo, but haven't come up with the right concept yet. The closest I've come is something based on the sign out front of DLP's Phantom Manor (which is a great version!). Non Omnis Moriar translates as, "I shall not die completely," which really resonates with me.

1709742865598.png

Okay, I'm done LOL

Makes total sense! I love Haunted Mansion, it has been my favorite ride since my very first visit in 1988. My claustrophobic anxiety makes it so that getting stuck on a ride (especially long enough to have to be walked out) is my worst nightmare (and yes, I have had this dream). Working on it with a therapist, but still fearful.
I get that. There are definitely some rides I would not want to be stuck on, mostly ones that involve water (I won't even get on the Nemo submarines at DL).

Warning: I'm about to go down a rabbit hole into HM 🐰:laughing:
:car: Let's go!!

Have you seen the Muppet Haunted Mansion special? My daughter and I watch it every Halloween and I laugh every time. Lots of nods to the ride, very funny!
Yes! I'm not a huge Muppets fan (I know, I know) but I did enjoy this movie.

I purposefully avoided the first movie with Eddie Murphy, but have been interested in the second movie just because I liked a few of the other live action ones they've done recently. Just need to make the time 🤷‍♂️
I watched the most recent one and it wasn't bad. Definitely campy, but the movie seemed to embrace that. It's worth a watch just for the cast.

Have you played the Haunted Mansion board game? It's probably my favorite of the Disney board games. I posted a thread about it ... somewhere LOL
There's a board game!!?

I've considered a Haunted Mansion themed tattoo, but haven't come up with the right concept yet. The closest I've come is something based on the sign out front of DLP's Phantom Manor (which is a great version!). Non Omnis Moriar translates as, "I shall not die completely," which really resonates with me.

View attachment 839538

Okay, I'm done LOL
Oh I love this! If I ever get a tattoo I want a death's head (skull with wings) like you see on 17th century tombstones. Those words would go perfectly. But I am a gigantic baby, so who knows if I'll ever work up the nerve to actually do it.

Weekly Summary March 4 -10

Not much to report. I was sick so I skipped kung fu, didn't run, didn't even go for a walk. I guess after Coast to Coast plus Princess (and Lunar New Year) my body decided it needed a break.

Next week will be rough but, now that my lungs seem willing to stay inside my body, I'm looking forward to returning to activities. I know I needed the rest, but my mood tanked this week. Sometimes I forget how much better I feel when I'm exercising.

Actual photo of me from this week:
1710094737836.png

I'm going to finish setting up my garage gym this week and my Kung Fu teacher is going to take a few of us to the Y to show us what we need to be doing with the equipment there. Will I finally start my strength training routine? We'll see.

There's a board game!!?
There is and it is really good! Lots of nods to the ride, simple enough for kids to play, but complex enough for adults to enjoy. I highly recommend it!
I know I needed the rest, but my mood tanked this week. Sometimes I forget how much better I feel when I'm exercising.

Actual photo of me from this week:
That sucks. Sucks that you're still sick. Sucks that you weren't in the best mood. Just sucks. Sending big hugs your way and hoping for a better next week! ❤️

Weekly Summary March 11 - 17

Mon - One more rest day before jumping back in. It's so hard to start again after time off.

Tues - Plan: 2 easy miles
- 2 miles in 39:56. Nice and easy for my first run since Princess weekend.
Did not register for Wine and Dine. I ran all three races last year and really enjoyed the weekend, but the timing just isn't great this year so I'm sitting this one out, but I will definitely be back.

Wed - Plan: Kung Fu
My younger son’s evening activity schedule changed so we’ve moved our Tuesday night Kung Fu to Wednesdays. I’m kind of excited about this because the Wednesday night class is the intro class I started in. So I will get to hang out with my intro people again, plus the class is a bit easier which honestly is a good thing for me right now.
My first class back was definitely not "easy" though. I could have curled up in a corner and taken a nap about half way through. Remind me not to take 3 weeks off from Kung Fu ever again. Returning is brutal!

Thurs - Plan: Kung Fu
My usual Thursday night class. I wasn't too sore from the previous night, which is good, but this class was still tough. I know I'll get back in shape, but getting there sucks.

Fri - Plan: 2 easy-ish miles
- 2 miles in 35:22
Feeling much better today! And the weather has been great all week. Did a little work in my garden too and was excited to see my asparagus is already coming up!

Sat - Plan: 3 easy miles
- 3 miles in 1:01 (with a brief detour home to get money for kids who has set up a table selling bracelets).
Just an absolutely gorgeous day. I love spring.

Sun - Plan: rest
Did a bit more work in my garden then went out to dinner. We were celebrating my oldest, who was offered an internship for the summer! He'll be working at a local wildlife center doing program development and helping with their summer camps.

This week's photo is a picture of the pine trees that are beginning their yellow rain (reign? both are accurate) of terror.

IMG_73457348301E-1.jpeg

Totals:
Running time for the week: 2:15
Miles for the
Week: 7
Month: 7 (oof)
Year: 177.81

Last edited:
This week's photo is a picture of the pine trees that are beginning their yellow rain (reign? both are accurate) of terror.

View attachment 842821
Our pine trees won't start up until the end of April/early May. But I take a 24hr allergy pill every 12 hours, and sometimes use an allergy nasal spray on top of it. It's the most miserable time of year, compounded by the fact that our property is ringed by pine trees. Reign of terror is accurate.

Our pine trees won't start up until the end of April/early May. But I take a 24hr allergy pill every 12 hours, and sometimes use an allergy nasal spray on top of it. It's the most miserable time of year, compounded by the fact that our property is ringed by pine trees. Reign of terror is accurate.
When we first moved here I couldn't believe it. I'd never seen anything like it. Now I have an annual note on my calendar for March 1 to remind myself that I'm not dying, it's just allergies, this happens every year.

I hate pine pollen season! When we lived in SC it was so depressing not to be able to open the windows in Spring for fear of inviting that awfulness inside!

Weekly Summary March 18 - 24

Mon - plan: Kung Fu
Good class! I hurt my back sleeping last night, so I had to modify some movements but class was a nice mix of dynamic stretching, a little cardio, and Kung Fu material. My favorite kind of class.

Tues - plan 2 easy miles
2 miles in 36:54. A gorgeous first day of spring!

I also used my new garage gym for the first time. My Kung Fu teacher had suggested I try hip thrusters with a barbell (I had just been using a band). I thought it was hilarious that the weight that was super easy on my hips was almost impossible for me to lift on and off my hips. I knew my upper body needed work, but this is ridiculous!
3 x 20 calf raises
3 x 20 barbell hip thrusters (10 lb weight, definitely could do more if I could get it up there)
2 x 5 squats with heels elevated and a 5lb weight (elevated is supposed to be easier on my knees, and it was, but I still stopped this one early because they started getting twingy)
3 x 20 crunches
Side kicks and punches on the bag at the end, just for funsies. Probably 60 each side but I wasn’t really counting.

Wed - plan: kung fu, weightlifting
Skipped Kung Fu. My official reason was “I had something I needed to do.” Unofficially, the “thing I needed to do” was not cry in the community center bathroom again, so I stayed home. It was fine. I'm fine. Everything is fine.

What I did not skip was my first weightlifting session. A few women from my Kung Fu class are going to start lifting together for accountability and support, so our teacher came to the Y to help us get started. The leg press machine is terrifying! All I could think of was the Crusher in Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway.

Thurs - plan: Kung Fu
Oh man, I am so sore after yesterday’s trip to the gym! And we didn’t really even do that much.
Class was good, another nice mix of stretching, cardio, and material.

Fri - plan (moved to Saturday): 2 easy miles plus garage gym workout of some kind
3.6 miles in 1:10
It’s supposed to be rainy tonight and tomorrow so I swapped today’s run for tomorrow. First mile was a little sluggish, but I felt good after that and was glad to be able to work out some of the soreness from the past couple of days.
I dusted off a favorite old trick and started an audiobook that I’m only allowed to listen to while running. This was how I got myself out the door during the Covid lockdown and I try to stop at an exciting point if I can so it’s even easier to motivate myself to get back out there.

Sat - plan (moved to Friday): 3.5 easy miles
2.07 miles in 36:59
Garage gym workout. I had planned on doing these each 4x but I ran out of time.
3x20 medicine ball walk (PT exercise. I need to do more of these)
3x20 monster walks
3x10 each leg, band kick backs
3x10 each leg, single leg thrust
3x20 calf raises

Sun - Rest.
Worked in the garden a bit. The wild strawberries have taken over.

The Kevin tank I ordered from Etsy arrived this week so now I just need to take it to Michael’s and get some matching tulle so I can start making my skirt.

Total time for the week: 2:24
Total miles for the
Week: 7.67
Month: 14.67
Year: 192.48
IMG_B0F8D2D66331-1.jpeg
Photo for the week: My very ambitious lime trees apparently have big plans for this year! I already have one teeny lime and SO many flowers!

Every time I read one of your updates, I have "Kung Fu Fighting" stuck in my head for hours.

(Watching Kung Fu Panda with my kids last night probably doesn't help.)

I dusted off a favorite old trick and started an audiobook that I’m only allowed to listen to while running. This was how I got myself out the door during the Covid lockdown and I try to stop at an exciting point if I can so it’s even easier to motivate myself to get back out there.
I'm thinking of trying this trick too, but I have to find the right book first and that's been a problem recently. hmmm
The leg press machine is terrifying! All I could think of was the Crusher in Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway.
It totally is! I'm not a big fan of weights in general, but the leg press machine is extra scary!
It was fine. I'm fine. Everything is fine.
Sending big hugs ♥️

March 25 - 31

Oh boy, I didn't keep good notes last week. Let's see what I can cobble together from memory.

Monday - Plan: Kung Fu
- Class was fine. Looking back, nothing really stands out so I guess that's good!

Tuesday - sigh.. nothing? I guess nothing.

Wednesday - Plan: 2 easy miles
- On the treadmill because it was cold and rainy. I used the opportunity to test out some new shoes, so I didn't keep track of the time because I was hopping off and on so much. So let's just call it 2 miles, 40 min since that's standard "easy" pace for me and I certainly wasn't going faster than that! Notes on the shoes will be after the weekly summary.

Thursday - Plan Strength/Kung Fu
- Today my little weightlifting group met with our Kung Fu teacher to go over our upper body strength training plan. Since I don't actually have any upper body strength, I was mostly lifting the lightest weights possible and I was still sore the next day!

Friday - Plan: 30 min at easy pace
1.33 miles in 26:44.

Saturday - Plan: 1 hr at easy pace
2.79 miles in 1:00:46

Sunday - Plan: rest
Clouds of pollen aside, it is gorgeous here right now so I spent most of the day outside puttering around in the garden.

Total time for the week: 2hrs 6 min
Total miles for the
Week: 6.12
Month: 20.79
Year: 198.6

Ok, shoes. I currently run in Altra Torin 5s. That's about two versions behind current, but I don't like the heels on the 6s and 7s so I stalk Amazon and buy 5s in my size whenever the price drops. I realize this isn't a plan that can last forever, so I decided to try out a couple of other Altras to see if they'd work for me. I love Altras for the wide toe box and the zero drop.

Altra Provision 7
This is one of their stability shoes.
“Running Shoe Guru” says: The Altra Provision 7 is a great shoe option for the runner that needs some added stability in a road shoe. These shoes can also be worn by a runner that typically runs in a neutral shoe, and could be an especially good option if your form deteriorates as fatigue sets in toward the end of longer runs.

My notes:
Very squishy heel
Heel feels narrow, might be a deal breaker
Soft tongue (nice compared to the Torin 5s that will literally cut you).

Altra Paradigm 6
“Running Shoe Guru” says: The Altra Paradigm 6 is a max cushioned stability trainer that has undergone major changes since the last edition, it seems like a brand new shoe. These changes, along with the features of Altra, make for a comfortable ride, mile after mile.

My notes:
Not as squishy in the heel although these are “max” cushion (vs high in the torin/provision)
Heel not quite as narrow
Toes feel narrow compared to what I run in now. Maybe I need a wide?
Soft tongue
Right foot arch felt a little off, like the shoe’s arch is back further than my actual arch (left feels fine)
And there goes my right sock, down into the shoe

So neither of these were keepers, unfortunately. I have a pair of Altra Via Olympus waiting for me to try them out. I put them on briefly when I first got them and my initial thoughts were that they were very high and I wasn't sure how I felt about the "rocker" feature. But we'll see.

I also got a tutu making kit from Amazon. 11 colors of tulle (6" x 25 yards each roll), scissors, elastic, and a measuring tape for $20. The only thing I need is a needle and thread (which I already have).

IMG_77FB08DA6155-1.jpeg

1712001477891.png
I ordered this tank from etsy and it arrived last week, so Kevin is coming together nicely! My so has decided to run as a Wilderness Explorer and we have most of the components for that costume already. He will just need some brown athletic shorts and to make his sash with the badges.

Last edited:
Your Kevin costume is going to look amazing!

Buying new shoes sucks. I love shopping, but for anything besides shoes. Ugh
Good luck with your quest for comfort 😀

What a week! Some of it great, some of it not so great.

Weekly summary April 1 - 7

Monday - plan: one mile time trial, Kung Fu

I’m running time trials this week to see what my next goal needs to be. The first one was this morning.

I got up, ate a piece of pb toast and had some water, did the morning things I had to do, and headed out about 40 min after eating.

T+D = 69 + 60

Warmup: Walked maybe half a mile to start, then did a mile warmup. Started with 30/60 run/walk and ended the mile with 30/30. Overall pace for that mile was 16:11, avg heart rate 143.

1 mile trial: 30/30 run walk. Pace according to apple watch was 13:19. Avg heart rate 171.
According to Strava my average pace was 13:17, GAP 13:05.

I might try just having a ucan gel before my trial on Friday, instead of actual food, but I didn't feel super weighed down by the toast.

Kung Fu wasn’t bad, but it was so hot in there!
140 kicks, and I did them all!

Tuesday: Plan: weightlifting
Today is our first real lifting session. I went in prepared to do lower body but we ended up doing upper body instead, which was fine by me because my legs were still a little tired from running and class yesterday.
Lifting went ok. I couldn’t get my (nonexistent) back muscles to activate, so my shoulders kept trying to take over even when it wasn’t their turn. Then my neck decided to help out, so I had to back off on the weights. Not being too hard on myself since this was just my first time trying. The good news is I have sticks for arms so any muscles I do develop will be obvious fairly quickly.

Wednesday - Plan: intro Kung Fu Here's where it goes off the rails a bit
- Wicked weather change brought me a migraine so I spent most of the day wishing I was asleep. Kind of sore from yesterday’s lifting too. Mostly in my shoulders, as expected.

Thursday - Plan: second mile time trial if I feel good and weather is good (otherwise do it Friday), Kung Fu
The headache wasn't letting go, so I had to take another day off.

Friday - Plan: one mile time trial
My Kung Fu teacher is headed out of town soon so we needed to go ahead and get in another weightlifting session while he's still here. Today we did lower body and it went really well! From our first overview session I was really worried that my knees weren't going to let me do any of the exercises. But I bought a pair of neoprene knee sleeves and things went great! I still started off with really low weights and slow movements, but I was able to gradually increase the weights and I think this is going to work. I'm also super excited to have two weightlifting buddies for support and accountability. I'm really looking forward to working out with my new little group.

Saturday - Plans, who needs 'em!?
Somebody ordered a delivery of garden soil for this weekend (it's me, I'm somebody) so, even though I was sore from yesterday, I still had to haul dirt while I had people willing to help me. It was probably good for me to be moving, but this meant my second time trial had to be delayed yet again.

Sunday - Plan: rest
No rest, still a bit sore, but it was finally time to do my second time trial. I had a few things I wanted to try differently this time, and they paid off.

T+ D 62 + 32. It was a gorgeous morning!

I got up, had my pb toast, did my morning things and headed out. I did a mile walking warmup at 20:56 pace and then another run/walk mile at 15:22, then I was ready to start my trial. As always, the first mile was terrible and I was already telling myself that this trial was going to suck. Lucky for me, I didn't listen to myself.

I decided to try to run 60/30 intervals today and, instead of listening to music or nothing, I used a metronome set to 180 BPM. This was super helpful. I run best when I can just turn off my brain (as I found running at Disneyland running with the pacers), so I just put my feet down with the clicks until my timer said it was time to walk. This went really well and I was under a 12 minute mile for the first half mile. I don't know how to record splits within a mile, but a screenshot I took at .32 miles showed a pace of 11:35, which is fantastic for me.

My legs were happy to hang in there at that pace, but my lungs disagreed. I haven't really pushed my cardio since January and I got out of breath and had to switch to 30/30 for a couple of intervals. I was able to get back to 60/30 at the end, though, and finished with an overall pace of 12:22. I definitely feel like I could have been faster if I had been able to get my breathing under control, but I never really push my pace like this so I'm happy for now.

And, my Kevin skirt is done! It's very floofy. I think I will be glad this is just a 10k. I still need to make the little sparkly head things and decide what I'm wearing under the skirt, but I'm almost done!

IMG_7A280A4B4E08-1.jpeg

So, other than the headache, it was a very good week!

Total time for the week: 1hr 16min
Total miles for the
Week: 5
Month: 5
Year: 203.6

Last edited:
I don't know how to record splits within a mile,
I don’t know what gear you record with, but with Apple Watch, you double tap the screen to do a manual split. You’ll still get the full mile split, but when you check later in Fitness, you’ll have a splits section and a segments section. I would think other watches would have something similar.

IMG_7304.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter