Fall Incentives

Except nothing I have said is related to if you should buy. My comment was when looking at the financial comparison of Resort A vs B.

Budget (which is personal) and cost of ownership (which is calculable) are different things. If you don't want to breakdown a financial comparison of your options thats fine dont just dont say its something that can't be calculated when in reality it can be. Its just your decision process doesn't include a financial aspect which is fine.
Like the one DVC podcast says… having DVC points can take you from a scarcity mindset (how much is the cost of the room, can we afford to go) to an abundance mindset (where are we going to use our points next year!).

The numbers absolutely matter, but for some personality types the forced family vacation matters more than detailed number crunching from a quality of life perspective. Nothing wrong with that if they have the money to do so for a luxury purchase.

but for some personality types the forced family vacation matters more than detailed number crunching from a quality of life perspective. Nothing wrong with that if they have the money to do so for a luxury purchase.
...or if the number crunching and DISboarding matters just as much in terms of fun...nothing wrong with that too, right?:blush::lmao:

Except nothing I have said is related to if you should buy. My comment was when looking at the financial comparison of Resort A vs B.

Budget (which is personal) and cost of ownership (which is calculable) are different things. If you don't want to breakdown a financial comparison of your options thats fine dont just dont say its something that can't be calculated when in reality it can be. Its just your decision process doesn't include a financial aspect which is fine.
He’s agreeing with a comment, which we all have right to do whether or not we think alike

I think you either misquoted me or someone else. I never said anything about financial comparisons - I just said that some factors are not able to be quantified.

Or, if you did quote me correctly - can you please explain how to quantify the quality of time spent?

But for me - I'm a workaholic in general, and the incentive to "force" me to take vacations due to the points otherwise being lost is an important thing. DVC is essentially making me spend time with my family, that I would otherwise let pass me by.

And there is just no way to accurately quantify that.

The numbers absolutely matter, but for some personality types the forced family vacation matters more than detailed number crunching from a quality of life perspective. Nothing wrong with that if they have the money to do so for a luxury purchase.
I would say it's a combination of personality type and also the job. DH and I were very much like that and DVC has been really great for getting us to enjoy our time together and unplug and enjoy.

I would say it's a combination of personality type and also the job. DH and I were very much like that and DVC has been really great for getting us to enjoy our time together and unplug and enjoy.
We just got back from Disneyland and we were talking about future trips over a bottle of post-vacation blues wine last night…

Disneyland on the books already for January 2024 (VDH) with Christmas decorations still up and March 2024 (VGC) during Food and Wine festival….

How about Aulani over the summer? We can make 5 nights work if do a 2BD Island view and shorten our planned 2025 Grand Villa stay by a day. Fabulous!

How about Disneyland in November 2024? Our youngest DS has a birthday that finally doesn’t fall on Thanksgiving and has always wanted to be in the park on his birthday… We can make a 2BD VGC work because it’s a low point season… flights back will be pricy, but we won’t tell him until we are on our way to the airport… totally worth it!

My wife brought up that she really wants to try going somewhere beside a theme park for a few spring breaks. How about Hilton Head and Savannah for 2025? Fabulous!

Wake up this morning. Bring up the DVC spreadsheet… math works as long as the point charts don’t dramatically change…

Now everyone is happy thinking about our future adventures…

No concerns whatsoever about which hotel, what package, etc…it’s just fun using points!

After years of being in a responsible role at a small company, I get it being hard to “turn work off” and enjoy a vacation, even if workaholic isn’t my personality type. Lots of email checking, even payroll approving while in FL.

Now the turns have tabled and I’m in a non-management role for a much larger company, with a “use it or lose it” vacation policy. I get vacation, I have to use it, and I don’t even have work emails coming to my phone. Actually having work:life balance is going to make real vacation a part of my life, just from a little job change.

We already have access to RCI weeks and there’s a lot of ways we can go on vacation, but there’s a lot to be said for what DVC offers. Resorts in 4 states, and ability to book by the night rather than by the week, with no additional fees to try different resorts beyond annual dues (TOT in two states notwithstanding… that’s not Disney’s fault).

This is perfect!! 😂😂😂
And I agree! Thinking over different scenarios is one of the best parts! However, it may or may not have lead to Addonitis big time lol!

How can I triple my points and still need more??
Exactly! Obviously personal finances, cost of travel, and kids activities will dictate what actually happens…. but it is a fun exercise to talk about fun things we want to do in the future and see how we can make that work.

Re: Black Friday...

A couple years ago they dumped Aulani to like $131 for 300 pts... Right around black Friday... I think the promo lasted a month
We will be at Aulani for thanksgiving. If they slash the cost per point with a big incentive, I’ll be tempted to try to add—though $131 would be the lowest direct point price in several years, I believe.

Now the turns have tabled and I’m in a non-management role for a much larger company, with a “use it or lose it” vacation policy. I get vacation, I have to use it, and I don’t even have work emails coming to my phone. Actually having work:life balance is going to make real vacation a part of my life, just from a little job change.
Same here. We used to have 1-2 work conferences a year (each) and it was easy (lazy) to have a subsidized half-vacation by bringing along the family. But it wasn't really a vacation because the kids would be like "where's Mommy" or "where's Daddy" and we never got true grownup time or whole family time.

Now the dispute for 2024 is whether to go to WDW over *both* Thanksgiving (DD2 birthday which we had to put off this year) and Christmas/New Years?

Last edited:
Welp today's the day, last day for fall incentives. I pretty much expect VGF incentives to become even worse as it nears sold out status and Riviera.. I'm not sure. I'm currently locked in for a RIV FW 50 + 50 points but I'm hoping for better incentives tomorrow :X

The "forced vacation" was the overwhelming reason I purchased DVC. The other reason was the structure of being able to go do different things and still have the ability to meet up with no need to have your own transportation.

Providing a nice vacation for my granddaughter also is a benefit but when I originally looked it was not what I was considering.

Welp today's the day, last day for fall incentives. I pretty much expect VGF incentives to become even worse as it nears sold out status and Riviera.. I'm not sure. I'm currently locked in for a RIV FW 50 + 50 points but I'm hoping for better incentives tomorrow :X
Can't imagine they can get much worse since weren't these latest ones pretty minimal on VGF? But wouldn't be surprised if they just eliminated any discounts at all and let it finish out at a slow crawl this close to the end.

...or if the number crunching and DISboarding matters just as much in terms of fun...nothing wrong with that too, right?:blush::lmao:
I don't know about you guys but....I crunch all the numbers, run all the projections, and list the pros/cons of each resort and purchase. I have an investment banker go over my spreadsheets and thesis. This all points to an optimal resort and point I should purchase....and I do what I originally wanted to do anyways no matter what the analysis leads says!

I don't know about you guys but....I crunch all the numbers, run all the projections, and list the pros/cons of each resort and purchase. I have an investment banker go over my spreadsheets and thesis. This all points to an optimal resort and point I should purchase....and I do what I originally wanted to do anyways no matter what the analysis leads says!
Sounds like me. I’ll go through the motions of weighing the pros and cons and running numbers, knowing the whole time when it comes down to it I want what I want 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter